Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 13,500 Mile overhaul

Bike: 2012 NC700X DCT

13,500 Mile overhaul

I rolled over 13,500 miles on my 2012 NC700X and besides a seat, windshield, handle bar riser mod I've done little else besides a couple oil changes, and a valve adjustment at 10,000.

Well this winter I decided it was time for a major overhaul. On the list is the following:

-New F/R tires (Michelin PR 4's)
    -New Chain (DID vx2)
    -New sprockets F/R (staying stock 16/39) Not sure what brand to use.
    *-Change Front brake pads (EBC Sintered HH)
    *-Exchange brake fluid (Castrol DOT4)
    -Change oil, oil filters (Rotella 5w-40, FRAM Ultra 7317, Honda OEM Transmission Filter)
    *-Change air filter (Honda OEM Filter)

*=Completed

So far time and funds have allowed me to accomplish the entire brake system and air filter. Here are a few photos of that day. Mind you these are the original brake pads and air filter from when I bought the bike new in October 2012.

Thoughts: I will extend air filter change to 20,000 mile intervals based on what I have seen. I hope these EBC brake pads last longer, if not they are less than half the cost of Honda OEM, I just hope they are nice to the rotor, or I will go Kevlar(organic) Brake fluid will always be exchanged when I do pads, its cheap enough and I bought a brake fluid exchange kit which makes it super easy and quick. I did do both front and rear fluids, Rear brake looks like new. I don't usually use it unless emergency or hard braking is needed.

My tires are still stock and they need to be changed. I have the minimum tread depth left, they are almost at the wear bars, maybe .5mm both front and rear. Don't mind the other bikes, they are a (brother-in-law) 2014 Yamaha FZ8,(sister-in-law) 2015 CBR300, (wife's) 2013 CBR250. I store and work on them for fun (they pay for parts) over the winter.

Any other thoughts/comments/ideas from the public are welcomed.

#1 Elite 13,500 Mile overhaul
    13,500 Mile overhaul
    Bike: NC-less
    Oh good. When I read "overhaul" I was expecting to see split cases, pistons in hand, etc. As far as comments, just a few...

1) I always prefer "rotor friendly" pads. The price of replacement rotors is over the moon.

2) Air filter renewal time is greatly influenced by where you ride. My 1/2 mile gravel drive assures plenty of dust. There is probably some "rule" against it, but I have a low pressure compressed air tool that is designed for blowing out Donaldson air filters. The filters on my farm equipment get blown out dozens of times between changes. It is a little more "iffy" here since there is no "safety filter" behind it, but I wouldn't be against carefully cleaning a filter to extend its service life.

3) Brake fluid exchange is one of the most overlooked services. It really does make a difference. I do mine every year, but every two years is probably fine.

4) I am not a believer in Fram filters, but I can't say I ever heard of any damage caused by one. I just don't like the construction when I see the internals of one that has been opened up. I would bet you could run without a filter if you changed the oil regularly and do no harm. That is the way all motorcycles used to run. OK, there was often a little slinger, but often not even that. I am an OEM oil filter guy, changed every other time, but I don't preach it.

5) I am not sure that brand of sprockets is a big deal. I just buy the chain and sprocket sets from Sprocket Center. I expect that rear sprockets could go two chains. I would always change the front sprocket with a chain regardless of how it looked.

Senior Member 13,500 Mile overhaul Chestnut's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X
    I was also expecting the engine spread out on your floor when you said major overhaul. I'm about to hit 30k miles and just thinking I should replace the brakes. Had forgotten about the brake fluid. Would've remembered before it was dripping all over the garage (probably). Gah, so much maintenance to do this spring...
    Eagerly awaiting the day tiny feet can reach the passenger pegs...

Just went over 32k. on the list is taking a couple of links out of my chain(it was to long when I got but didn't have the tools to fix it) valve adjustment oil change change tires and change the fork oil. I'm going to try and remove the charcoal canister. I'll remove the catalytic converter when I can

13,500 Mile overhaul
    Quote Originally Posted by rippin209 View Post
    I'm going to try and remove the charcoal canister.
    I cannot imagine why you would seek to do this. Cat Converter, I understand but disagree.

Just something to get plugged up that does little to no benefit. I've had the gas tank vacuum lock a few times already

Bike: NC700X
    Adding in the valves/coolant work already done, and a couple of spark plugs, I'm hoping that list is all I will ever have to do. The good thing is none of it is diffficut.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Super Moderator 13,500 Mile overhaul 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    From what I see on the forum, a lot of air filters that are pulled could have gone right back into the bike for another go-round. Not that it hurts anything to change them, except the pocket book.

To the OP, I'm shocked that you got 13,500 miles out of the stock rear tire. I ride gently and saw cord at 9000 miles on two different Metzeler Z8s. It must be the rough oil and chip roads that destroy mine.

You should be set for a good riding season when you're done. Enjoy!
    Last edited by 670cc; 3rd March 2016 at 08:15.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

13,500 Mile overhaul
    Quote Originally Posted by Wcmike View Post
    Adding in the valves/coolant work already done, and a couple of spark plugs, I'm hoping that list is all I will ever have to do. The good thing is none of it is diffficut.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk
    Well, there would likely be clutch replacement in a long term relationship, but again, easy to do. Water pump, clutch cable, hydraulic hoses, wheel bearings, swingarm bearings, steering head bearings. With some of the reported cam chain tensioner failures, I wonder if some kind of routine replacement might be wise (50,000 miles?). I do this on my airhead BMW's at 50K.

All depends on the expected length of ownership and mile accumulation - and history as we learn it.

Senior Member 13,500 Mile overhaul dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I'm reminded how excited I was in 2012 when I learned the NC700X was coming to the USA. One of the draws for me was the overall simplicity of systems and it's built-in economy.

This might be viewed as an overhaul but really it's just replacing a few wear items that are expected. Good job taking care of your machine.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD