Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: New to the forum, New to Adventure bikes. Looking for suggestions.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Bike: NC 750x
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    10

    New to the forum, New to Adventure bikes. Looking for suggestions.

    Hi all, I'm a long time cruiser rider (30yrs) now looking to go Adventure. I'm planning to retire in Central America and I'm trying to decide if an NC750x is going to hold up to the typical 3rd world roads found there.

    I plan to explore every road I find over time as I spread out across the region.

    I've ridden dual sport offroad so I'm familiar with what comes with that. I understand the NC is limited in ground clearance and suspension travel but I'm not expecting it to be a dirt bike or enduro. I do however want to go where the average 4WD can go... occasionally. Primarily I'll be riding rocky, muddy, sometimes graded roads and pavement. I've added a picture as an example.

    I haven't ridden an NC so I'm concerned about how well the 54hp will do on the highway. Speed is not so important but the power to GTF outta the way is, as well as being able to pass quickly.

    I'd go straight for an Africa Twin if it was in my budget. I like the NC DCT concept. There are others like the vstrom that has a few extra ponies so I'm just trying to do my research. I gave up my motorcycle endorsement a few years ago so I can't test ride anything and can't get my endorsement without a bike. I just moved to Tennessee from Wyoming and I don't know anybody here.

    I've seen some pretty impressive NC750x travel videos on YouTube and that's why I'm here. I've attached a picture of an example of the roads in Honduras.New to the forum, New to Adventure bikes. Looking for suggestions.-20170712_162510-jpg

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Super Moderator New to the forum, New to Adventure bikes. Looking for suggestions. 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,118
    The thing to keep in mind is that under the adventure styled bodywork, the NC750X is basically a street bike, and a good handling one at that. The 50 some horsepower is totally adequate for me, but the suspension and weight is not dual sport quality by any means.

    With the right tires and some suspension mods, the NC maybe just might do what you want, but it will take some modifications. If you're in mud, I know from experience that it's easy to pack the close front fender of the NC full of mud, and stop forward motion.

    If a DCT is important to you, then you're limited to the NC or the Africa Twin. DCT choices are limited; I don't think the heavier VFR or the Goldwing is what you're after.

    I really believe Honda has a big hole in their product line. Honda needs a CRF designated mini Africa Twin with a manageable size and weight of something in the 500-600cc category. That's what I would want for the adventure riding you propose. I'd want a dual sport frame with the CB500 engine in it.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

    NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

  3. #3
    Senior Member GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Southeast USA
    Posts
    701

    New to the forum, New to Adventure bikes. Looking for suggestions.

    Also consider prior year Africa Twins. With the introduction of the very nice 2020, the 2017-18 are available pretty cheap (9-12k).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Bike: NC 750x
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    The thing to keep in mind is that under the adventure styled bodywork, the NC750X is basically a street bike, and a good handling one at that. The 50 some horsepower is totally adequate for me, but the suspension and weight is not dual sport quality by any means.

    With the right tires and some suspension mods, the NC maybe just might do what you want, but it will take some modifications. If you're in mud, I know from experience that it's easy to pack the close front fender of the NC full of mud, and stop forward motion.

    If a DCT is important to you, then you're limited to the NC or the Africa Twin. DCT choices are limited; I don't think the heavier VFR or the Goldwing is what you're after.

    I really believe Honda has a big hole in their product line. Honda needs a CRF designated mini Africa Twin with a manageable size and weight of something in the 500-600cc category. That's what I would want for the adventure riding you propose. I'd want a dual sport frame with the CB500 engine in it.

    Thank you for the first hand user information. Mud packing the front fender is the first I've read about that, for example.

    I love the NC design and low center of gravity. Coming from a cruiser where I could stand up nearly a foot above me seat at a red light, the height of an adventure bike is a bit intimidating. With a 30" inseam I'm just able to get the balls of my feet on the ground. After a couple months riding a 650 dual sport and dumping it many times while stalled on a steep incline or stopped with both tires on opposite sides of a ditch, I'd really like longer legs. I guess it's just something I need to get accustomed to.

    The DCT is not really necessary, I just like the idea and the no stalling. The fuel mileage is also great when talking $5+ a gallon for gas.

    But alas, using a jigsaw to cut lumber can be done but it's not the right tool for the job. I need something that is going to hold up to rough roads.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Bike: NC 750x
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    Also consider prior year Africa Twins. With the introduction of the very nice 2020, the 2017-18 are available pretty cheap (9-12k).


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good point. I guess patience is the key.

  6. #6
    Super Moderator New to the forum, New to Adventure bikes. Looking for suggestions. 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,118
    I guess this is why dual sports have high fenders. See mud packing on the NC in the following photo. Pine needles probably didn’t help the situation.

    New to the forum, New to Adventure bikes. Looking for suggestions.-6f681e4f-ddfb-46fc-87b2-45dffd092a6c-jpg
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

    NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

  7. #7
    Super Moderator New to the forum, New to Adventure bikes. Looking for suggestions. 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    7,118
    Others may differ on their opinions on the importance of this, but if you went with a DCT and resided in Central America, and if the DCT had problems, would there be mechanics with the expertise to repair it? We seem to have some trouble here in the States with a few Honda shops still being unfamiliar with DCT service. If you have a conventional manual transmission, finding competent service anywhere might be easier, as well as it being easier to service yourself.

    My personal approach to going out on motorcycle adventures in unimproved areas is to keep the motorcycle design as simple and reliable as possible, to increase my chances of getting back to civilization conveniently, timely, and safely. While Honda’s version of DCT has proven to be very reliable, Honda seems to have skimped on incorporating limp-home modes when the transmission or one of it’s sensors fails. I have observed that Honda DCT failures, while very infrequent, often seem to leave the motorcycle in a disabled state requiring a tow, rather than in a limp mode that lets you ride back to a place to make repairs.
    Last edited by 670cc; 10th October 2019 at 09:17.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

    NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

  8. #8
    Member spads25's Avatar
    Bike: 14 NC700X
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    AR
    Posts
    62
    Pretty sure you want something more capable than an NC if moving to Honduras..

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Bike: NC 750x
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    I guess this is why dual sports have high fenders. See mud packing on the NC in the following photo. Pine needles probably didn’t help the situation.

    New to the forum, New to Adventure bikes. Looking for suggestions.-6f681e4f-ddfb-46fc-87b2-45dffd092a6c-jpg
    I'm guessing that's why I've read where some have added a front fender extender and had it break off. That looks pretty well packed!

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Bike: NC 750x
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by spads25 View Post
    Pretty sure you want something more capable than an NC if moving to Honduras..
    These are the things I needed to know. I've watched nearly everything on YouTube about the NC but they are not usually from owners with various experience with the bike.

Similar Threads

  1. brake pad suggestions
    By NCX19 in forum NC750 Modifications
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 14th October 2019, 00:56
  2. Suggestions for new tires?
    By Techrat in forum Tire Tech Talk
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 19th April 2018, 09:44
  3. Deadwood bound..suggestions?
    By drdubb in forum The Bar
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 16th October 2016, 14:29
  4. I'm not sure my bike is working for me....I need your suggestions please!
    By Theshnizzle in forum NC700 General Discussion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 27th July 2016, 08:33
  5. Exhaust Suggestions
    By AttiqGomer in forum NC700 General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 30th May 2013, 06:30

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •