Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Considering Upgrading from Honda CBR300R

Senior Member Considering Upgrading from Honda CBR300R GgarryP's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700X
    Don't put it in neutral at a stop light; you may need to move quickly - just turn the throttle. Do put it in neutral for other stops to keep it from moving with an unexpected turn of the throttle (lesson from an embarrassing incident).

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Garry

Two wheels and keels

Bike: Honda CBR300R
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    I’d echo 670cc on scooters. They are a blast to ride. I’ve owned several big and small. Anyone who just knocks them out of hand has probably never tried one and doesn’t have a clue what they’re missing. Sounds to me like you need to expand your circle of riding buddies. Pretty narrow minded bunch if ya don’t mind my sayin’ so. If you take their comments too much to heart you’re going to miss a lot of good times on two wheels!

Variety is the spice of life!
    Yes, people like to voice their opinions. Sometimes it is just easier to let them have their say and then get on with what I am doing.

I have seen several YouTube videos where people were skeptics of the DCT and then loved it.

Bike: Honda CBR300R
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Iím not a DCT owner and donít want one, but you might be exactly the buyer that Honda intended for the DCT. If clutching and shifting isnít something you love to do, and you wonít miss it, then the DCT is for you.
    Exactly. I do not enjoy clutching and shifting. It seems to be a chore. I keep getting told I will learn to like it. I really do not think so. It was not my thing in a car, and I do not think it will be on a bike. To me it deters from the enjoyment of the ride.

Super Moderator Considering Upgrading from Honda CBR300R 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    The one thing that I had to figure out with the DCT is since there is no clutch, and therefore no ability to use the 'friction zone' it took me some time to figure out that my foot pressing the brake pedal going into turns and also for low speed maneuvers provides greater control.

Basically I use rear brake against the throttle in much the same way that you use the clutch's friction zone against a throttle.

I don't find that I have any "lack of control" at all. It just takes a slightly different technique.

I'm loving the DCT. Honestly don't see any reason to buy a bike that doesn't have a DCT (or similar) system. It is amazing in traffic with stop & go traffic and works great everywhere else. I do override the DCT by using the button shifters for passing on highways, steep hills, etc but then the DCT takes over again automatically.
    You have a good point. Less control would have been a more accurate description than lack of control.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Forty Two View Post
    I have seen several YouTube videos where people were skeptics of the DCT and then loved it.
    I've seen that happen to people in person.

Before I bought our first DCT equipped bike several of my rider friends told me that shifting was fun. I never thought so. We bought a used NC700x (with only 4 miles on it) for my wife and I quickly realized that I needed one too. A few months later I had an NC750x. I now ride constantly. I leave the hard luggage cases on the bike all the time because I can carry the groceries and an amazing amount of other goods in those boxes!

Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    You have a good point. Less control would have been a more accurate description than lack of control.
    I honestly don't consider it less. I consider it different. I could do figure 8s on a HD inside 4 parking spaces. I can do the same, easier, on a Honda with DCT. There is a learning curve to get really good with the DCT but it gives the same amount of control but it is controlled differently. Right hand needs to learn to work with right foot. With a clutch lever the right hand doesn't need to be controlled as tightly because the left hand can override the right by working the friction zone of the bike. Different, not less.
    Last edited by melensdad; 2nd September 2019 at 17:07.

Member Considering Upgrading from Honda CBR300R Dellaster's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 KLX250S
    Hardly a daily occurrence, but sometimes going down a forest road Iíll need to get past dried, deep mud ruts and/or washouts and to do so I ďwalkĒ the bike with both feet for balance while carefully managing power by slipping the clutch in first gear. Iím not seeing offhand what the alternative would be with DCT since I wouldnít be able to use the rear brake.

If I was still commuting to work each day in traffic the DCT would absolutely be my choice. Now? I avoid cities and traffic like the plague. Last time I traveled from Reno to Yuma I added over 100 miles through Barstow, California in order to not go through Las Vegas. For my current situation and preferences, DCT vs manual does not have a clear verdict.

For the OP? Yeah, go for the DCT, Forty Two.
    óTed

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Dellaster, set the bike into 1st gear (switch the DCT to manual) and modulate speed with the throttle. I've not been in that exact circumstance. But I've been on slippery clay, etc. You need to learn to manage the throttle a bit more carefully with the DCT but it works

Senior Member Considering Upgrading from Honda CBR300R
    Considering Upgrading from Honda CBR300R
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    What he said ^^^ +1

It wonít upshift automatically while in manual mode. So you can creep it or wind it up as needed.
    Last edited by Red Rider; 2nd September 2019 at 18:01.

Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Super Moderator Considering Upgrading from Honda CBR300R 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    What he said ^^^ +1

It won’t upshift automatically while in manual mode. So you can creep it or wind it up as needed.
    What he said + another 1. With no clutch control, you will need to learn very fine throttle control. Fortunately, the NC700X/750X has excellent fueling and throttle “feel”.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member Considering Upgrading from Honda CBR300R dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I learned to ride on automatic clutch Hondas 50 years ago so my low speed technique was learned without a clutch. Riding a bike with a clutch came later and neither seems to offer me less control of the machine in finesse maneuvers. Combining and overlapping throttle and brake to tension the drive train are advanced techniques that any rider can learn.

As far as reliability goes DCT is out there in many thousands of 2 and 4 wheel Honda machines for 10 years and general reliability is not in question. Small point of comparison, my manual transmission Goldwing belongs to a generation of GWs with numerous transmission issues and no one would or does consider it a flawed motorcycle to the point of being dismissive.

No Honda DCT requires an expensive dealer service at 40,000 miles. No Honda motorcycle I know of requires this, DCT or manual. Two oil filters are required yes, the new one is $8 every 16,000 miles. Big deal. No DCT requires being in neutral to avoid wearing out the clutches. Experience in this forum is you are more likely to replace the clutch in a manual NC700X. You have complete control going down hills, you do not wear the brakes more quickly, it doesn't matter if the bike shifts in a corner because it shifts so quickly it does not upset the suspension. Or you choose different shift points, or manual mode, or override automatic shifts manually.

Uninformed or ignorant people thinking "automatic" default to the only automatic they know, probably a car. DCT is not a hydrostatic torque converter automatic like a car/truck has or a CVT like many scooters have. It's not their fault for the most part, folks just don't know any better. I can remember how misinformed people were when the VFR1200F came out then the NC700 variants came out two years later in 2011. If you were bothered by the comments of others you were in for a long rough patch. Then the VFR1200X came out followed by the Africa Twin a few years later. The reviews on these bikes were much better and the 2018 DCT Goldwing better yet. DCT went from lamestream to mainstream, selling in greater numbers DCT than manual on certain models. The basic technology isn't any different but the riding community isn't as ignorant as it was 10 years ago and each successive generation brought improvements. Honda has always given each DCT motorcycle a manual counterpart and fully expected it would take a while to become popular.

Something DCT offers is learning how to exploit the abilities it offers to riders ranging from rank novice to expert. If you like learning new riding skills the DCT can expand your world. Multiple auto modes, semi auto modes or full manual, you can slip back and forth between all of these on one twisty road in order to extract the exact level of performance you are able to achieve.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD