Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new bike

Bike: 2007 Ninja 250r

Looking for a new bike

This spring I started consistently riding to work and have been exclusively riding around this summer. I put almost 3000k miles on a 2007 kawasaki ninja 250. I commute mostly on highways, leave about 0500 and the highway speeds at that time aren't nice to that 250, and I hate high revving it.

I've been looking at craigslist for vstrom's and versys's and finally last weekend suzuki had a demo day where I got to test ride some vstroms and an sv650.

The vstrom 650 is a nice motorcycle. But I'm looking around yet...I notice Honda having major incentives on the nc700x and the prices on showroom 2015's are pretty amazing, enough to actually buy one for barely more than the insane prices people are asking for the others used. Found a dealer not far from work where they'll let me ride one, might be I buy it (then figure out how to get it home).

The big thing I hope to find when I test ride is how well the nc700x handles 80+ highway, especially for vibration and if there's any gotchas in the power band. As weak as that ninja 250 is, it's extremely smooth across the whole power band regardless of how fast it's (not) going or how much oil it's burning running 10+.

Man I wish it were easier to test ride stuff. Honda and Kawi never have demo days around here and I would like to at least take a versys for a spin, just to know how one rides.
    Last edited by bnolsen; 4th August 2019 at 14:03.

Super Moderator Looking for a new bike 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Good luck on your test ride! Remember this: (I own an NC700X and I once had a 2007 Ninja 250), the NC700 makes its power at much lower RPM than the 250. You’re going to need to shift up at half the RPM as the Ninja. If you try to ride the NC like the 250, it will just hit the rev limiter at around 6500 and the engine will cut out abruptly. Try to ride the NC by shifting well below the redline and use the low end power. That’s what makes it so easy and pleasant to ride.

Once it’s at 6000 RPM, the power output falls off. There’s nothing to be gained by trying to rev it any higher. I can poke along all day in my rural neighborhood and rarely go above 3000 RPM, but then I’m not fighting traffic and city congestion.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

I certainly do not like revving the ninja (nor do i like the seating position). It took me a couple months to figure out that it should be run at 6k or higher on normal roads just to be able to even respond to any conditions.

h yeah i'm 6'2" with 34" inseam so hoping I can sit up comfortably well.

With stock setup how many rpms is it runninng at 85mph and does it have any headroom still at those levels?
    Last edited by bnolsen; 4th August 2019 at 14:57.

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
    h yeah i'm 6'2" with 34" inseam so hoping I can sit up comfortably well.
    I'm 6' with a 33" inseam and find it comfortable to ride. I didn't like the seat too much, but that is a personal thing. As far as the upright seating I'm happy with that. Currently almost 3000 miles into my first major trip on this bike and loving it.

Mine is a DCT model so I'm not going to get into the shifting discussion because I only occasionally over-ride the DCT's automatic mode. I'll let the guys with full manual answer those questions.

Senior Member Looking for a new bike dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    After the Ninja 250 the NC700X will feel like a magic carpet at 80 -85 mph. The vibration is more of a low frequency pulsing or thrumming felt at 2800-3200 rpm and at 80 the NC is turning less than 4500 rpm. At 85 the bars do not tingle and mirrors remain clear. At 85 it will accelerate easily to 90 but there isn't much headroom left. Acceleration flattens out in the 90s. See the video below.

When I was considering a 650 class bike I rode the Versys and the VeeStrom several times. My recollections of the Versys was that it's 180 degree twin cylinder engine vibrated quite a lot, especially at highway cruising speed of 65 to 75 mph, and the feel and sound of the engine was quite coarse and unrefined compared to the Honda NC. I recall Kawasaki redesigned the engine mounts starting with the 2015 (?) model and less of the engine's vibration is felt in the bars and pegs. I demoed the Versys three times before 2015 and haven't ridden the newer rubber mounted engine. The Versys, like the WeeStrom, have many devoted owners and they obviously aren't put off by what I considered deal breakers. The VeeStrom was very top heavy to me. The seat is a little higher than the NCs and it carries it's weight higher. I rode it out of obligation to make sure it wasn't for me because I really don't like the way the Suzuki looks. It does have a smooth engine however and revs cleanly to over 10,000 rpm and you rev it to 7 or 8,000 rpm to get the extra 35% extra horsepower out of that engine compared to the NC's low-revving engine. The NC700X has all of it's power before 6300 rpm. You are used to revving the Ninja engine to twice that and the Strom might be a good feel for you.

YouTube
    Last edited by dduelin; 4th August 2019 at 15:27.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member Looking for a new bike ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by bnolsen View Post
    h yeah i'm 6'2" with 34" inseam
    With stock setup how many rpms is it runninng at 85mph and does it have any headroom still at those levels?
    Are you 165lbs fully geared up or closer to 240lbs?
    Are you running 85mph on flat ground or on grades?

My personal experience on a NC at near GVWR together with a set of side panniers and a larger screen is that there is nothing much happening if you twist the throttle @ 80 mph. Running in Texas up a grade I could barely maintain 80mph with a headwind with the throttle pinned. I'm about 5'9 @ 145lbs and under 170lbs all geared up.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Quote Originally Posted by ld_rider View Post
    Are you 165lbs fully geared up or closer to 240lbs?
    Are you running 85mph on flat ground or on grades?

My personal experience on a NC at near GVWR together with a set of side panniers and a larger screen is that there is nothing much happening if you twist the throttle @ 80 mph. Running in Texas up a grade I could barely maintain 80mph with a headwind with the throttle pinned. I'm about 5'9 @ 145lbs and under 170lbs all geared up.
    Wow thanks for all the replies. I'm about 200 normal so at most 220 with all my normal junk. High speed riding will mostly be in flat areas but there's one sort of fly over that I have to go over.

I'm not really interested in going over 90mph at all on anything, never have been. slow traffic at 0500 runs 80mph .... I will probably avoid side luggage for any normal trips but may consider a top box.

I'm 200 or so normally so probably 220 or so geared up. Since I live in the Denver area if this bike can't make it up the passes at highway speeds that may be a very serious problem. Trips up mt evans and/or pike's peak may be a possibility as well.

As for luggage I would normally do at most a top box at some point, save any side luggage for real trips. With young-ish kids that's not really in the near future.

Super Moderator Looking for a new bike 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    I suppose you could expect some power loss being that you’re a mile+ above sea level. You’ll just have to ride it and see if it meets your needs.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member Looking for a new bike dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Increasing frontal area dramatically by installing side cases, hand guards, and a larger windshield on a less than 50 hp motorcycle will extract a penalty not seen on a more powerful machine. As a test I ran back to back runs on a windless morning and just by removing the Madstad windshield and hand guards picked up 5 or 7 mph in top speed. I can't remember the exact figure. Imagine what side cases do just by themselves.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD