Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Indecisive Newbie

Junior Member Indecisive Newbie Dellaster's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 KLX250S

Indecisive Newbie

Rather than further cluttering the New Member Welcome Thread Iíll copy my last post and continue in a new thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
    My thanks to everyone for the good advice and insights. Itís a shame, but because I desire ABS and not DCT, the US NC-X isnít going to work out for me. Thereís not much point in test driving unless I want to relent on one of the those two things, and I donít. Now if Honda offers a manual NC for 2020 with ABS option (like in the rest of the world) that will change things, of course.
    I say that, but the NC-X keeps drawing me back. I might relent on one or the other after all. Itís probably a good thing I canít seriously consider buying until I return to my usual wintering place near Yuma, AZ, in November. More time to sort my thoughts and feelings.

I actually do like the idea of a DCT, if I can only still my fears of getting stranded with a too-complicated DCT issue. Alternatively, Iíve ridden bikes this long without having ABS, so...

Super Moderator Indecisive Newbie 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    I would like ABS, but no bike I have ever owned has had ABS. For whatever reason, the planets never aligned just right. I doesn't bother me at all that I don't have it, but I think it would be cool if I did.

I predict that the day will come that ABS will be mandatory equipment on all new motorcycles sold in the USA.

I think the transmission type will impact your day to day experience with the motorcycle more than the presence or lack of ABS will.
    Last edited by 670cc; 19th July 2019 at 15:23.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    If I had my choice, I'd opt for DCT withOUT ABS. But that's not an option, sooo.....

ABS isn't a big deal to me, I can see the benefits to some, but its certainly something I could do without. If you much rather have manual, I highly doubt not having ABS will impact your enjoyment of the NC.

What are the primary things that keep drawing you back in regarding the NC?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post
    What are the primary things that keep drawing you back in regarding the NC?
    Good question. Hm...

• They’re Hondas
    • Economical (price, mpg, maintenance)
    • Low end torque/low RPM cruising
    • Appearance—I like how they look
    • Frunk!
    • They have a really nice forum dedicated to them with friendly, knowledgeable folks (this is incredibly rare and valuable!)
    • All the testosterone & adrenaline reviewers find them too boring

Probably forgetting things, or maybe some things can’t be formulated into words.

Sounds like you just need to take a DCT for a test drive and that should finish making your mind up. Sounds like the NC is right up your alley.

Bike: '18 NC750X
    I watched many video reviews and saw so many websites that said ABS and TC were standard in 2018 that I really expected my new bike to have them. I'm really disappointed that it doesn't have ABS and ticked at Honda that you can't get it at all without the DCT (here in the US). Why are they standard in the rest of the world but not here???

Bought my first car with ABS in 2005. The first snow we got turned into an ice storm and when I tried to slow down 30 feet from an intersection the car went all the way through and finally stopped 20 feet past the red light. I was lucky, there was very little traffic and those without ABS were able to stop.
    But I still want ABS on my bike.

Edit: Another thought; the front brake on the NC is not especially powerful...but I consider that an advantage for a retread like me. Less chance of locking the wheel in a panic stop. I'm happy with the performance of the brakes.
    Last edited by Randy99CL; 19th July 2019 at 16:53.

Sounds like you just need to take a DCT for a test drive and that should finish making your mind up. Sounds like the NC is right up your alley.
    You might be right. From what I’ve been reading, however, dealers nowadays rarely allow test rides with motorcycles. So that could be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    I watched many video reviews and saw so many websites that said ABS and TC were standard in 2018 that I really expected my new bike to have them. I'm really disappointed that it doesn't have ABS and ticked at Honda that you can't get it at all without the DCT (here in the US). Why are they standard in the rest of the world but not here???

Bought my first car with ABS in 2005. The first snow we got turned into an ice storm and when I tried to slow down 30 feet from an intersection the car went all the way through and finally stopped 20 feet past the red light. I was lucky, there was very little traffic and those without ABS were able to stop.
    I’ve had a lot of deer jump out in front of me in recent years, mostly when driving my motor home (which is a 2002 with ABS) but sometimes when on my Kawasaki. Fortunately I’m a “boring” rider so stopping in time hasn’t been hard. So far.

USA is apparently a second-class motorcycle market, not anywhere near the size of Europe and others, so we get the fewest number of options possible. Even colors—Europe will get three color choices, we usually get no choices at all.

It’s a shame, but what can you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post

Edit: Another thought; the front brake on the NC is not especially powerful...but I consider that an advantage for a retread like me. Less chance of locking the wheel in a panic stop. I'm happy with the performance of the brakes.
    This is why I dislike ABS, I have absolutely zero need for it. I have a similar story in a car. Yesterday, was rushing to drop the stepson off with my mom and get to work on time (2nd shift), was taking backroads to get to where my mom was at the time, 2010 Chevy Malibu 4 cyl, carrying a good pace on these curvy bumpy backroads, starting sprinkling rain, was coming up on a 4 way stop (very little traffic in this area), came in a little hot on the bumpy road, ABS activated, I did not stop until my front end was across the cross-road. 100% I would have been able to stop plenty well enough without abs, I was not driving beyond the tires' potential even on the wet road. ABS sucks, I hate it. I want to be in full control of the brakes, so if the tires lock up and slide, it's because I wanted them to do so.

This is why I dislike ABS, I have absolutely zero need for it. I have a similar story in a car. Yesterday, was rushing to drop the stepson off with my mom and get to work on time (2nd shift), was taking backroads to get to where my mom was at the time, 2010 Chevy Malibu 4 cyl, carrying a good pace on these curvy bumpy backroads, starting sprinkling rain, was coming up on a 4 way stop (very little traffic in this area), came in a little hot on the bumpy road, ABS activated, I did not stop until my front end was across the cross-road. 100% I would have been able to stop plenty well enough without abs, I was not driving beyond the tires' potential even on the wet road. ABS sucks, I hate it. I want to be in full control of the brakes, so if the tires lock up and slide, it's because I wanted them to do so.
    Is it not possible to disable ABS either by removing a fuse or disconnecting a wire?