Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Picking up a '13 NC700X Thursday!

Bike: 2013 NC700X

Picking up a '13 NC700X Thursday!

Hello!

I am 32, been riding all my life, grew up on trail / motocross bikes, then got into sportbikes, which progressed into dragging knees in the twisties on the street and at trackdays. Then on March 7th, 2010 I had a freak crash on the interstate on a '07 Kawi ZX10R and ended up losing my left leg below the knee. Got a sweet prosthesis, kick arse everyday working, and still ride every free chance I get. My knee on amputated side is trashed and won't bend past 90 degrees, so I cannot bend my knee far enough to reach the stock pegs on anything with a sport riding position. I have been riding cruisers ever since recovering from my wreck. Had a couple Yamaha Road Star Warriors, currently own a 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1600 that I may just keep forever (it's been a great bike), and I recently bought a 2014 Harley Street Glide and have not been impressed with the Harley experience.

Someone is coming to buy the Harley in the morning....then I am heading to pick up a mint used 2013 NC700X DCT black and silver, mostly stock, with 8,300 miles. Its owner may be a member here, not sure. To solve the foot peg problem I am going to put engine cages on it (SW Motech maybe?) and mount highway pegs on them like I have seen several do on this forum (I been lurkin' ). As of now, this is as close as I can get to a sportbike. Not concerned with the power, as my Nomad probably has around 65hp and weighs 350 lbs more than the NC. I'm just looking for increased lean angle and the ability to run good grippy tires mainly....then I will throw a Yoshi or Akrapovic slip-on on it, maybe oem Honda saddlebags, rear luggage rack (not a fan of top boxes), center stand, and begin a new motorcycle experience! Not sure about windshield yet, just gonna rock the stock one with full face helmet and see how it goes.

I know I won't be dragging knees on this bike, but I'm sure it will perform a great deal better in the twisties than the 850+ lb baggers I've been throwing around with floorboards dragging. I'm excited also about the potential for a little offroad trail riding. I may end up buying an extra set of wheels and throwing some knobbies on them for some adventure dirt action. I think I may be able to do the highway peg on engine guard mod on an Africa Twin if I ever feel the need to upgrade from the NC, I know it has a good bit more power and better suspension, but I will spend most my time on road.

Lots of good info on this forum, looking forward to learning more!

Couple (a bunch) pics of my Nomad. We've been through a lot together...Lol.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TacomaJD; 30th April 2019 at 14:42.

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Interesting story, bummer about the leg but it sure sounds like it doesn't slow you down so for that I commend you with a hearty pat on the back. I looked at the photos and wondered why the radical change in bike styles. I think you may find the NC700x, modified a bit for you needs, to be a nice and far more nimble bike. Its not a true dual sport but it sounds like it will certainly serve your needs. Glad to have you here with us and I'm looking forward to your initial thoughts on the bike after the first ride, and then again after you have a bit of seat time.

Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    Interesting story, bummer about the leg but it sure sounds like it doesn't slow you down so for that I commend you with a hearty pat on the back. I looked at the photos and wondered why the radical change in bike styles. I think you may find the NC700x, modified a bit for you needs, to be a nice and far more nimble bike. Its not a true dual sport but it sounds like it will certainly serve your needs. Glad to have you here with us and I'm looking forward to your initial thoughts on the bike after the first ride, and then again after you have a bit of seat time.
    Yep I never thought I'd be riding cruisers in my early 30's, but the ole big wreck kinda changed that for me. LOL. I'm hoping a highway peg will work for me. I saw another guy on here said he was 6'2" (I am 6'1") and he done the motech engine guards and longhorn offset pegs and it looks perfect for what I need!

I have a big trip planned with one of my buddies in a few weeks to Clarksville, TN, so I am hoping to have it prepped and ready to roll by then. We are going to take back roads all day up through Lynchburg, head into Nashville for something good to eat, then grab a hotel room in Clarksville for the Black Label Society concert at O'Connor's Irish Pub May 18th. Should be a good first road trip out on the NC.

Common sense says wait til I have the bike in my possession before ordering parts, but I'm very tempted to go ahead and get some parts ordered and on the way!

Question: Haven't read too much about adding center stand. Is it a Honda oem part, aftermarket? Where to order? Will definitely want one of those asap. I think I have most other mods figured out.

This is what I need!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Super Moderator Picking up a '13 NC700X Thursday! 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post
    Question: Haven't read too much about adding center stand. Is it a Honda oem part, aftermarket? Where to order? Will definitely want one of those asap. I think I have most other mods figured out.
    Honda centerstand is around $120 (easily found discounted from the $149 MSRP). SW Motech makes one, too, for about $260. I don't know if anything about it makes it worth twice as much as the OEM accessory.
    Last edited by 670cc; 30th April 2019 at 16:53.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member Picking up a '13 NC700X Thursday! GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    If you go with the SW Motech engine guards, understand that the tubes are 25 mm outside diameter. Iíve got these and it was hard finding highway peg clamps that fit this diameter well. I think some of the Kuryakyn expensive ones do this, but I didnít find anything that I considered affordable that fit this diameter well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Honda centerstand is around $120 (easily found discounted from the $149 MSRP). SW Motech makes one, too, for about $260. I don't know if anything about it makes it worth twice as much as the OEM accessory.
    Where are y'all ordering oem parts at besides straight from the dealer? I am interested in the OEM Honda side bags and need somewhere to order those later as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    If you go with the SW Motech engine guards, understand that the tubes are 25 mm outside diameter. I’ve got these and it was hard finding highway peg clamps that fit this diameter well. I think some of the Kuryakyn expensive ones do this, but I didn’t find anything that I considered affordable that fit this diameter well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've been looking into the engine guards and I think I like the looks of the Givi's a little better. The Givi's are supposed to be 1 inch diameter (1" = 25.4mm), is that the same diameter as the SW Motech you are talking about?

It seems Kuryakyn doesn't offer the black longhorn highway peg mounts with a 1" clasp, but they do offer it in chrome per their website. I am going to call them and see if there is a way to get a black set of the longhorn highway pegs/mounts, but with 1" chrome clasps. Not ideal color combo, but gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes. But that should fit snugly on the 1" Givi guards right? What highway pegs, if any, did you end up going with to mount to the SW Motech guards?

Super Moderator Picking up a '13 NC700X Thursday! 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    The GL1800 2001-2017 stock engine guards are 1 inch diameter. So if you find highway pegs for the GL, they’ll probably fit the Givi engine guards for the NC.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    I too have my highway pegs attached to my Schmo-Tech Skid plate and like them there, great fit. :{)
    Picking up a '13 NC700X Thursday!-ritzville-tricities-lewiston-loop5-jpg
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!