Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Picking it up today!

Bike: 2012 Honda NC700X
    I'm a little out of the way. Hwy 93 and I-40 is where Kingman is. I plan on riding up to the Moki Dugway on May 20th, and cruise around that area for a couple of days. Always enjoy company if you're ever close. I'm still trying to figure out how to add a picture to my profile. And, have a question about a wire to hook up a GPS. This forum is a little different than anything I've used, so it will take a while to get it figured out. Lots of areas, for sure!

Bike: 2012 Honda NC700X
    That would be easy to access. But, what happens when you use the turn signal...on/off, on/off, etc. Or, is there uninterrupted power going to them?

Super Moderator Picking it up today! 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    I too am looking for a wire to tap into that is key on-power on and key off power off. I am presumptuously going to use one of the front turn signal/running light wires. That should give me enough power to run a relay for other accessories that i want to then run off of the relay. Just a thought. :{)
    Remember that the front running goes turns off while the turn signal is flashing. If you just need to charge batteries off the lead, the interruption in power probably would not be a problem.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A

Picking it up today!

Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    I too am looking for a wire to tap into that is key on-power on and key off power off. I am presumptuously going to use one of the front turn signal/running light wires. That should give me enough power to run a relay for other accessories that i want to then run off of the relay. Just a thought. :{)
    Use the accessory harness plug on the left side under the plastics. It has both constant power and switched power.
    I bought the harness for about $10 IIRC. it breaks the big plug into separate circuits used for Honda accessories like heated grips, 12v outlet, etc. it either came with a relay or I bought that on the same order for not much money.

JT

Super Moderator Picking it up today! 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Bringing these quotes over from another unrelated thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Sherm View Post
    I would just like to find a keyed wire to tap into for a GPS. Can anyone tell me an easy one to get to? I usually tap into the tail light circuit, but not sure how to route a lead to it. And...not even sure how to get to the tail light connections. Thanks in advance.
    Sherm - (new owner)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jt105 View Post
    Under the left side plastics there is an “accessory connector ‘. It has constant and keyed circuits. Get the accessory harness and relay from Honda. The price for the harness and relay is quite reasonable. The relay plugs right into the fuse panel.

The harness part number is different for a ‘12 than for ‘13 - ‘15. The ‘12 has more circuits available. I think the relay is the same.

JT
    What JT said. The neatest, proper way to gain switched accessory power is to buy the Honda accessory harness and relay, the use mating electrical connectors to hook up your accessory device power lead. The mating connectors are detailed here: Corresponding connectors
    For the 2012 model, the accessory harness will also provide a high beam signal to trigger brightness levels on auxiliary lights, should you desire that in the future.

The accessory harness and relay installation is shown here: https://powersports.honda.com/docume...71-MGS-A30.pdf
    Just ignore the part about installing the 12 volt socket. The Honda 12 volt socket accessory is a joke because it’s fused at a nearly useless 1 amp and the fuse is hidden under the body panel if you install it per the directions.

An an alternative for power distribution would be a Fuzeblock, where you can neatly have multiple fused circuits for accessories, some switched and some constant. Welcome to Fuzeblocks - Out Stuff blows so yours doesn't

And then there is alway just hacking into the taillight wire, but that would be my least favorable choice, for several reasons.
    Last edited by 670cc; 30th April 2019 at 07:17.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT
    This is the part number for the relay set 670cc mentioned: 08A70-MGS-D30 (HO PM1 NC7 RELAY SET)
    After buying the relay and accessory harness, I'd suggest just buying the relay at about $10 US and using the 6 pin harness connector to plug into. The accessory harness is expensive for what it is.
    I used this guy Motorcycle 2.8mm - 110 Connector and Terminals
    to source my bits from to power my GPS & an aftermarket frunk plug.
    Last edited by HarveyM; 30th April 2019 at 07:48.

Senior Member Picking it up today! maxou723's Avatar
    Bike: Honda NC700XA
    Welcome to the forum! I've also got a 2012 NC700XA (Abs) and still love it!

Bike: Nc700X
    Welcome to the group. I am 72, still ride 10,000+ miles per year, also ride a Goldwing and a NC700X.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Sorry i missed ya Sherm! That was a great ride and the Moki is on my list of roads to ride, highly recommended as well as the Bear tooth highway and the Chief Joseph i'm told by the Tewster! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!