Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Husband & Wife, new riders, now with 2 NC700x DCTs

Senior Member Husband & Wife, new riders, now with 2 NC700x DCTsHusband & Wife, new riders, now with 2 NC700x DCTs kpinvt's Avatar
    Bike: !RED! 2014 NC700XD - The Best Bike Ever
    One thing to note about the DCT bikes is they are much easier to backpedal up a shallow slope when the transmission is in neutral.

Bike: 72 Shovelhead and a 2012 NC700X DCT
    Throttle lock vs cramp buster....

They aren't mutually exclusive but for riding with others, at least for me, the cramp buster was much more valuable. Setting the throttle lock is great when you are alone, your bike will gain and lose some speed based on the incline of the road. Without one you may or may not alter the throttle position to maintain speed. Again all well and good alone, now when you are riding with someone, once you finally get the throttle lock set at the same speed, along comes the first incline and your rate of speed will change relative to the other bike, maybe not enough to matter, but I found more often than not I either dropped farther behind or closed up closer than I wanted. I am sure Colorado and Utah amplified the issue but it is something to consider.

For a throttle lock, I just put an o-ring on the bar end that I can roll over against the grip. I went all out and ordered the yellow caterpillar one, just so my cheap throttle lock didn't look cheap. google 8m4991. Various colors are available and ebay is generally cheaper than amazon. I ordered 10 and it was under $10 shipped. I plan to give them as Christmas gifts to my KLR riding friends PM me your address and I will mail you two yellow ones if you wish as a "welcome to the community"

Senior Member Husband & Wife, new riders, now with 2 NC700x DCTs dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I like the Go Cruise throttle control. It's not a lock but rather uses an adjustable small lever resting against the brake lever to hold a set speed. One finger sets it and it's like half of a cruise control because it sets a minimum speed - not one speed but allows turning more throttle to speed up or hold speed going up a grade. When going up a grade the rider has to roll on a little throttle to hold speed (or not) and at the crest just allow release the throttle so it will then resume the preset speed.

It does not replace an electronic cruise control but I find it much more usable than a throttle lock, of which I've had several types.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member Husband & Wife, new riders, now with 2 NC700x DCTs GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    +1 on the go cruise. I found be cramp buster got in the way when I didn’t need it at the moment, where the go cruise is out of the way and “one finger adjustable” as dave said. Since none of these devices are actually cruise control, but are just various forms of throttle “locks,” I couldn’t see spending $100 or more. The yellow o-ring worked for me for a while, but the gap in my grip changed a bit and the o-ring doesn’t hold well now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    The GoCruise 2 looks interesting, idiot proof, and is certainly reasonably priced. I can afford to get one of those for my wife too Certainly a lot less expensive than the Atlas. Also looks like it would be easy to steal off the bike while we are stopped for lunch, etc. Anyone lose one of the GoCruise clamps to a thief while parked for a short brake/rest at a roadside stop, park, tourist trap or even the worlds largest ball of twine?

Go Cruise 2 Motorcycle throttle lock Universal

Honestly I think I may try a Go Cruise 2 unit to see if I like it. I still like the Atlas, while roughly 4x the price, it looks more like an OEM part, is less noticeable, can be left on the bike without nearly as much worry about theft. But it is a lot more expensive and that is a huge downside.

Atlas ATLAS Throttle Lock - Universal Motorcycle Cruise Control

ColoradoChris, thanks for the offer of the yellow rubber band, looking at the reviews it seems to be a hit or miss solution. Works well when it works but not when it doesn't. I appreciate the kindness but I'm going to pass.
    Last edited by melensdad; 20th September 2018 at 11:48.

Senior Member Husband & Wife, new riders, now with 2 NC700x DCTs dduelin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    The GoCruise 2 looks interesting, idiot proof, and is certainly reasonably priced. I can afford to get one of those for my wife too Certainly a lot less expensive than the Atlas. Also looks like it would be easy to steal off the bike while we are stopped for lunch, etc. Anyone lose one of the GoCruise clamps to a thief while parked for a short brake/rest at a roadside stop, park, tourist trap or even the worlds largest ball of twine?

Go Cruise 2 Motorcycle throttle lock Universal

Honestly I think I may try a Go Cruise 2 unit to see if I like it. I still like the Atlas, while roughly 4x the price, it looks more like an OEM part, is less noticeable, can be left on the bike without nearly as much worry about theft. But it is a lot more expensive and that is a huge downside.

Atlas ATLAS Throttle Lock - Universal Motorcycle Cruise Control

ColoradoChris, thanks for the offer of the yellow rubber band, looking at the reviews it seems to be a hit or miss solution. Works well when it works but not when it doesn't. I appreciate the kindness but I'm going to pass.
    The one on my NC I have had for about 5 years, three bikes, maybe 50,000 miles riding. it broke on a long ride up to the mountains and I repaired it in a motel parking lot. I meant to replace it but never did and probably won't as now it has "history".

I can't recall I've ever had a thing ever stolen off a bike in over 300,000 miles. I don't worry too much about it anymore - I pay attention to what I can control and leave the rest to the One that owns all my stuff anyway.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

I'm thinking the Go Cruise 2 will be a stocking stuffer that my wife will find on Christmas morning.

I've been skeptical of them but your advocacy of their effectiveness has swayed me.

And mine only broke because one of the R1200GS guys I was riding with wanted to try out my DCT so I cracked it removing it so it wouldn't be in the way of the thumb switches.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    ...and a hearty welcome to the both of you from north Idaho! Welcome to the ride! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Hepco & Becker top case rack + side case racks are installed on the NC750x.
    Hepco & Becker GOBI top case locked into place.
    Found out that I can NOT open the rear seat/fuel door with the H&B top case rack in place because I adjusted the installation (it is moveable) as far forward as possible.
    Removed the H&B GOBI top case.
    Uninstalled the H&B top case adapter plate and reinstalled it farther to the rear ... this time making sure to allow clearance for fuel access. Rookie mistake

Ordered 2 of the MADSTAD windshields. 18" for the NC700x for my wife. 20" for the NC750x for myself as per the instructions on the website. Confirmed with them the logic of not buying 2 of the 20" and they gave me a nice detailed explanation of why I should not do that ... and they gave me a discount for ordering 2 windshields

Installed the under seat brackets for the GIVI V35 side case racks on the NC700x. I did not, as per direction from my wife, install the actual racks. Just the little brackets. She thinks the NC700x looks sporty without the racks in place so the little brackets are the only thing she would currently allow me to install.

Pulled off some factory stickers from the top of the FRUNK on both bikes and cleaned away the adhesive residue.