Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New rider ready to ride Cross Country!

Bike: 2014 NCX

New rider ready to ride Cross Country!

Just picked up a 2014 NCXD with the intenton of riding it cross country!

Bike: honda nc700x
    Nothing can get you stoked than a ride across USA. stop in Pittsburgh, Pa and see me.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Welcome to the Ride JB! Sound like quite the undertaking and IMHO you have the perfect bike for it! A hearty welcome from North Idaho. If you are up this way, i'll happily ride a stretch with you and a meal/PIE is on me!

I am presuming that you are going to add some comforts/protection to the bike. Some sort of Bark Busters/Hand guards, seat modification or aftermarket seat, crash bars, highway pegs etc etc... :{)
    Last edited by Rapturee; 15th July 2018 at 17:30.
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    If you give a heads up about your route and keep everyone up to date on your whereabouts I'm sure you can get some free meals beverages and conversation along the way, on that note if your in central California and I'm available I'd like to cover a meal and hear about your travels.

Another rider is covering multiple states right now and relating his whereabouts using glimpse, it's also possible with Google maps but this glimpse thing has worked very well

Glympse - Default Viewer

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    Welcome to the Ride JB! Sound like quite the undertaking and IMHO you have the perfect bike for it! A hearty welcome from North Idaho. If you are up this way, i'll happily ride a stretch with you and a meal/PIE is on me!

I am presuming that you are going to add some comforts/protection to the bike. Some sort of Bark Busters/Hand guards, seat modification or aftermarket seat, crash bars, highway pegs etc etc... :{)
    Greenboy another rider on here recommended a sit-n-fly or similar type of seat cover, I would highly recommend looking into that

Bike: 2014 NC700X
    Do your self a big favor get a good after market "SEAT", you but will thank you a million times over!!!

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350
    Enjoy the trip. I rode out west two years ago, not to the coast, but as far as Zion. Wonderful trip. Great memories. Follow the above suggestions and drink in every mile and every stop.
    Dance as if no one is watching.

Bike: 2012 NC700X The Toaster
    Invest in a CamelBack or other water rig. I did the Iron Butt on a stock seat w/an AirHawk on it, no problem. Don't bungee anything across the passenger seat (makes fuel stops a pain). As far as apps to set up on your phone - look at EatSleepRide. It has a ride tracker (free) as well as a Crash Alert (paid version) function. High winds can be brutal; between Wells Nevada and Boise Idaho I couldn't get it over 70 mph and was leaned over most of that part of the ride into the wind. Food, documents, quick supplies in frunk, all else in the saddlebags. If you're going over mid-summer, a cooling vest or a cool-dana are life savers.

Senior Member New rider ready to ride Cross Country! ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeniusbiker View Post
    Just picked up a 2014 NCXD with the intenton of riding it cross country!
    Quite a lofty goal for a new rider...Might want to get some miles under a motorcycle's tires before jumping into the deep end of a multi-week ride that takes a new rider thousands and thousands of miles. All kinds of roads, traffic, and weather....

Just to be clear: There is no "new rider" that is ready for a trip like that...but it has probably been done.

I know it must be exciting thinking about an epic ride on the new bike, (cross-country rides and rides to Alaska are bucket list rides for many) but you should have some real experience first. Right now as a new rider, you don't even know what you don't know :-(

In one, two, three seconds someone will jump in about how their first ride ever was around the world or down to Patagonia and how anyone can do it "if careful". But I would personally gain some real experience first!

Gotta add that your new bike looks great and wish you many, MANY happy miles/smiles on it. Do it safely though!
    Last edited by ld_rider; 16th July 2018 at 08:19.
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Bike: 2017 NC 750X DCT
    Excellent advice.