Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me (again) where to ride next!

Senior Member Help me (again) where to ride next! Afan's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700X DCT

Help me (again) where to ride next!

Hello everybody,
    Need your help (again) to pick my next trip. Or at least please “influence” me.
    I plan to ride 11 days, from May 28th until June 8th. Of course, if the @#&^[email protected]# weather permits.
    These are “candidates”
    • Route 66, from Chicago to… as far west as possible. Probably would reach Albuquerque, NM… (CON: last year did it with family, in the car, from Joplin, MO to LA, CA. The memories are still fresh… )
    • Lincoln Highway from Ames, IA to New York City. On the way back eventually visit CT, RI, MA, ME, NH, VT, and get back home via Niagara Falls and Detroit...
    • Angel Inlet - the northernmost point of contiguous US. And then some rides around the Great Lakes (Duluth, Copper Harbor, Mackinaw City, Green Bay, Newport, Milwaukee…)
    • Great River Road Started 2 years ago at Mississippi Headwaters (Lake Itasca), through MN, WI, IA to Hannibal, MO. Now is time to continue to New Orleans (Venice Marina, [29.240721, -89.366815], to be exact)
    • Home - Blue Ridge Parkway - Washington, DC - Gettysburg, PA - Home. Something like this. Did about third of the BRP last year and I LOVE IT!
    • Colorado Rocky Mountain, Grand Lake, Colorado National Monument, Loveland Pass, Pikes Peak, Skyline Dr. to Canon City, Royal Gorge Bridge, Great Sand Dunes… and, hopefully a lot of “off-road activities” . I'm kinda leaning toward this one (last year was between the Tail of the Dragon and Colorado ), but I would really like to have somebody with me - newbie in "off-roading"

Or, please suggest something. I’m pretty sure there is tons of other must-ride routes that I’m not aware of.

There is couple routes that I would really like to ride. But to do it I need much more time (and money). Like from Seattle to Los Angeles via Pacific Coast Highway. It’s over 6K miles and I need almost 3 weeks. I know it’s possible to do it in 10 days. 600 miles /day is not my way of riding. 350-450 miles a day - and plenty time to enjoy the scenery and talk to people.
    The same issue is Key West, another one at the top of my Bucket list. And it would be incredible HOT in July!

So... What would you suggest?
    Last edited by Afan; 24th May 2019 at 15:01.
    Instead million dollars, give me million miles!

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Wow aFan, that sounds like a great time ahead of you. Let me suggest, that if you do decide to come out west that you owe it to yourself to stop in at the 3 Step Hideaway. It is just a short distance north of the 4 Corners Monument (Utah-Colorado-NewMex-Arizona) and about 50 miles south of Moab Utah. They are at a pretty high elevation so they are normally about 15f cooler every day than Moab which makes it very nice to come, stay and ride. I stayed there 5 days and took a couple of days rides from there as a base. I hit Ouray Co for lunch and then rode the Million Dollar Hwy(that was cool), then down through Durango and over to the 4 Corners Monument and back. Monument Valley is a nice ride, i rode part of that as well. Moab of course. Wherever you decide, ride safe and have a blast!
    :{)

3 Step Hideaway

Help me (again) where to ride next!-3step-vac-me-bike-cantina2-jpg
    Last edited by Rapturee; 5th June 2019 at 12:22.
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Super Moderator Help me (again) where to ride next! 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    It’s already getting hot. The Lake Superior circle tour would keep you away from crowds, traffic, and heat. Of your choices listed, I’d take the Colorado trip or the Great Lakes. Colorado would have more spectacular scenery.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: NC700X
    Like 670 said it is hot. So, go North !!!!!!!!!!
    It is always smart to get off the road between 1pm and 4pm (the heat of the day). I have set in malls and watch folks walk by, go to a movie, or just stop for a while to fill-up and eat. Truck stop TV rooms are a great place to cool down, watch TV, get a little sleep, and get something to eat.

Help me (again) where to ride next!-d0866c26-0f88-43a7-af4f-875ff231d6bc-jpg
    Last edited by Old Can Ride; 24th May 2019 at 21:09.
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Senior Member Help me (again) where to ride next!
    Help me (again) where to ride next!
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Can Ride View Post
    Like 670 said it is hot. So, go North !!!!!!!!!!
    It is always smart to get off the road between 1pm and 4pm (the heat of the day). I have set in malls and watch folks walk by, go to a movie, or just stop for a while to fill-up and eat. Truck stop TV rooms are a great place to cool down, watch TV, get a little sleep, and get something to eat.

Help me (again) where to ride next!-d0866c26-0f88-43a7-af4f-875ff231d6bc-jpg
    Those are some great tips. I’ve killed time in motorcycle dealerships as well just kicking tires, talking shop, drinking coffee or soda, and cooling off.

I’m supposed to respect my elders, but it’s getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Bike: NC700X
    I did forget to mention a real summer riding must. Always have this on in the summer. What a difference it makes.

Help me (again) where to ride next!-9f5deb7a-bbef-4bbe-adb6-329443734759-jpg
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350
    I did a 16 day trip out west a few years ago starting on June 1. It was hot, cold and in between. People warned me I might hit snow in the high passes. Was a great trip. I changed the route a little as a I rode. Glad I took my heated gear for the high passes.

My initial map.
    Furkot | Utah Colorado

A write up

Go West OFWG | Adventure Rider

Have fun
    Dance as if no one is watching.

Bike: 700x
    If I wanted to ride just to ride, I'de just follow the nicest weather. And see the sites wherever you end up. Have fun

Bike: 72 Shovelhead and a 2012 NC700X DCT
    Let me know if you are coming to Colorado. I can probably figure out a way to play tour guide for a day or so....

Senior Member Help me (again) where to ride next! Afan's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700X DCT
    It looks like it's Colorado.
    Thanks guys (again).

P.S. Chris, when I get more about dates, places and routes I'll let you know, for sure!
    Instead million dollars, give me million miles!