Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alaska, British Columbia, Alberta ride in 2019?

Super Moderator Alaska, British Columbia, Alberta ride in 2019? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50

Alaska, British Columbia, Alberta ride in 2019?

Hi all,
    I'm in the early stages of planning an Alaska Highway, Alberta, British Columbia sort of ride this summer. I'm not so much planning to go deep into Alaska, or ride the Dalton Highway, but seeing the Canadian Rockies and touching Alaska is my main focus. I'd be originating from the Midwest (USA). I'm getting the maps together, thinking about the timing, which bike to ride etc. I have much yet to learn to plan this trip, but maybe somehow I can gain some knowledge from the NC forum group.

I can ride the bike from home, or there is even the possibility I could trailer the bike to, say, Montana, and ride Canada/Alaska from there. Trouble is, I'd need a secure place to leave the truck/trailer.

If any one else with experience is wanting to ride a similar trip, well maybe organizing a small group ride is another option.

So this is a rather open ended hunt for knowledge and ideas, but if anyone cares to offer comments or suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member Alaska, British Columbia, Alberta ride in 2019?
    Bike: SV,NC,berg 570s
    I'll be going, but was planning on making it all the way up to Prudhoe Bay and am coming from the other side of the country

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350
    look at tewster2 on the adv forum. He also has videos of several trips to alaska. Great detail, roads etc. Lots of info in these threads

Tewsters Traveling Circus Alaska 2018 (the ride) | Adventure Rider

Tewster's Traveling Circus Alaska 2017 | Adventure Rider

Tiny Bike to Alaska 2016 (Planning and Bike Prep) | Adventure Rider
    Dance as if no one is watching.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm in the early stages of planning an Alaska Highway, Alberta, British Columbia sort of ride this summer. I can ride the bike from home, or there is even the possibility I could trailer the bike to, say, Montana, and ride Canada/Alaska from there. Trouble is, I'd need a secure place to leave the truck/trailer
    Greg, if you make it to Montana then you might as well keep coming west o IDAHO!! I'd be more then happy to ride a few days with you and i have a large secure parking area all set up for you to leave your rig here until your return, free.99 of course!! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    Greg, if you make it to Montana then you might as well keep coming west o IDAHO!! I'd be more then happy to ride a few days with you and i have a large secure parking area all set up for you to leave your rig here until your return, free.99 of course!! :{)
    Thank you. I will seriously consider that option!
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    I went to Glacier NP from Michigan last summer. We took US-2 all the way. My recommendation is to skip North Dakota and eastern Montana. Lots of flat. Lots of nothing. Lots of wind.

JT

Senior Member Alaska, British Columbia, Alberta ride in 2019? davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bird..
    Hi all,
    I'm in the early stages of planning an Alaska Highway, Alberta, British Columbia sort of ride this summer. I'm not so much planning to go deep into Alaska, or ride the Dalton Highway, but seeing the Canadian Rockies and touching Alaska is my main focus. I'd be originating from the Midwest (USA). I'm getting the maps together, thinking about the timing, which bike to ride etc. I have much yet to learn to plan this trip, but maybe somehow I can gain some knowledge from the NC forum group.

I can ride the bike from home, or there is even the possibility I could trailer the bike to, say, Montana, and ride Canada/Alaska from there. Trouble is, I'd need a secure place to leave the truck/trailer.

If any one else with experience is wanting to ride a similar trip, well maybe organizing a small group ride is another option.

So this is a rather open ended hunt for knowledge and ideas, but if anyone cares to offer comments or suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.
    Dang it Greg, if I was retired, I would be joining you on this trip...somehow I need to find time to mark off some more riding items on my bucket list (riding out west is one of them)...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Senior Member Alaska, British Columbia, Alberta ride in 2019?
    Alaska, British Columbia, Alberta ride in 2019?
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    Hi all,

Little knowledge and short on ideas but I would agree with the post on ND and Eastern Montana being pretty desolate and windy.
    Comments and suggestions? Just hope ya have a terrific trip. I’m meeting a couple fellow retirees in Colorado in June and heading to Glacier NP. We plan to slip into Canada for a day while we’re up that way and then head back down taking in Yellowstone, the Tetons and all points in between as we work back to Denver. Much of this ground I covered years ago but never made it to GNP. And while I’ve visited and fished Canada in the past, this will be my first time there on two wheels. Alaska is still outside my reach I’m afraid - for now. My longest ride to date was 4300 miles. This one will exceed 5000 round trip.

My buddies will be on their Harley tourers. I gave up my HD and GW and have been enjoying the relative ease of travel and maneuvering that the NC provides. (They’ll get there one day...) If my buddies give me “the business” I’ll just tell ‘em they’d better be nice to me or I won’t be there for them when they drop one of those hogs on a switchback somewhere.

Have a great trip North!
    Last edited by Red Rider; 23rd March 2019 at 07:06.

I’m supposed to respect my elders, but it’s getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Quote Originally Posted by Red Rider View Post
    Little knowledge and short on ideas but I would agree with the post on ND and Eastern Montana being pretty desolate and windy.
    Comments and suggestions? Just hope ya have a terrific trip. I’m meeting a couple fellow retirees in Colorado in June and heading to Glacier NP. We plan to slip into Canada for a day while we’re up that way and then head back down taking in Yellowstone, the Tetons and all points in between as we work back to Denver. Much of this ground I covered years ago but never made it to GNP. And while I’ve visited and fished Canada in the past, this will be my first time there on two wheels. Alaska is still outside my reach I’m afraid - for now. My longest ride to date was 4300 miles. This one will exceed 5000 round trip.

My buddies will be on their Harley tourers. I gave up my HD and GW and have been enjoying the relative ease of travel and maneuvering that the NC provides. (They’ll get there one day...) If my buddies give me “the business” I’ll just tell ‘em they’d better be nice to me or I won’t be there for them when they drop one of those hogs on a switchback somewhere.

Have a great trip North!
    That sounds like fabulous trip you have planned, RR. I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time.

I have done trips with a couple Harley riders, with me on the NC. Without going into details on some of the quirks of that arrangement, let’s just say it was interesting.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member

Bike: NC700X
    Anything more on the specifics? Do you have any idea of when you will be leaving? Will this be a month long trip or a bunch 500 mile days? I'm trying to figure this one out myself. Except I have joy of leaving from Florida.