Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Summer Adventure 2018

Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT
    I'd suggest you're underrating the value of a good night's rest, not only for that night but on the next day's riding. Playing around with a deflated air matress at 3 in the morning is miserable. You might consider this cot- Amazon.com: Byer of Maine TriLite Cot by, Lightweight, Easy Setup, Packs Away into Travel Bag, Single: Sports & Outdoors It's cheaper (but heavier and 29" long packed vs 20" for the Marchway) but gets more positive reviews on Amazon (87% positive, 6% negative compared to 69% positive, 26% negative for the Marchway)
    Last edited by HarveyM; 6th July 2018 at 10:15.

Senior Member Summer Adventure 2018 StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyM View Post
    I'd suggest you're underrating the value of a good night's rest, not only for that night but on the next day's riding. Playing around with a deflated air matress at 3 in the morning is miserable. You might consider this cot- Amazon.com: Byer of Maine TriLite Cot by, Lightweight, Easy Setup, Packs Away into Travel Bag, Single: Sports & Outdoors It's cheaper (but heavier and 29" long packed vs 20" for the Marchway) but gets more positive reviews on Amazon (87% positive, 6% negative compared to 69% positive, 26% negative for the Marchway)
    It seems a better item. Thank you. As you noted, it's too long, packed, to fit in 22" wide top box.

I'll book mark it for later.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

Senior Member Summer Adventure 2018 Nofear2trek's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XD
    Usually on my 50ft liveaboard (tiny house) yacht tied up in Oregon, but also Space-A alot to SE Asia
    Playing around with a deflated air matress at 3 in the morning is miserable.
    For single nite stops I prefer a yoga mat. It has never deflated at 3am, nor cared if it was laying on sharp objects. Even cots without a mattress becomes uncomfortable after a short while. Yoga mats also can be trimmed down to meet size requirements.

Ray

Life is Wonderful, if it isn't you may be doing it Wrong!

18 centuries of the choice, 'believe this way or die', & always chosen life, is a lineage difficult to separate from. I understand. But do not fear my belief science created the universe, I'll never say "Big Bang's Will" made me do you harm. We are a genuinely free & peaceful lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Nofear2trek View Post

For single nite stops I prefer a yoga mat. ... Even cots without a mattress becomes uncomfortable after a short while.
    Ray
    An "Extra Thick Deluxe" Yoga Mat [HERE] is 1/4" thick.... or perhaps you meant ...something else?
    I hope I can someday be comfortable on a mat like that... but I'm still a beginner.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

- Willie Nelson

Usually on my 50ft liveaboard (tiny house) yacht tied up in Oregon, but also Space-A alot to SE Asia
    Quote Originally Posted by StratTuner View Post
    1/4" thick.... or perhaps you meant ...something else?
    Yes, a mat that provides more comfort for the knee, hip, and shoulder pressure points. Something like this or even thicker (one inch or more) if desired.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Crown-Spo...Black/40331748

Trimmed to shoulder width and tapered to 3/4 length (just below my knees) is all I ever need. It opens or is packed again in a flash, easy peasy.

Ray
    Last edited by Nofear2trek; 7th July 2018 at 08:24.

18 centuries of the choice, 'believe this way or die', & always chosen life, is a lineage difficult to separate from. I understand. But do not fear my belief science created the universe, I'll never say "Big Bang's Will" made me do you harm. We are a genuinely free & peaceful lot.

Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT
    Unlike Ray I never slept comfortably on foam mats, and have migrated to the trees for a comfort (hammocks- but that's probably not an good option in the Southwest). In my thirties & forties a thermarest self-inflating pad was enough, but later on sleeping was more problematic. Hence an air mattress, which had it's own learning curve- thermarest 's speed valve needs perfect closing not to leak.
    Last edited by HarveyM; 7th July 2018 at 09:46.

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    The self inflating pads are awesome and pack up small and quickly, but they're susceptible to a puncture leak just like a air mattress, then your screwed.

A good air mattress is the most comfortable but Airobed is the only one that has held all night and been comfortable and that's no where near travel friendly for a motorcycle

I've tried 4 different cots and never had a problem with comfort, find one that packs small light and quick and I'd think that's the winner

Unlike Ray I never slept comfortably on foam mats,
    Don’t think I said “comfortably”, but they do allow you to endure the nite while enroute to destinations when only stopping for the single nite at any one place.

My style of riding between destinations is to never waste daylight. When I get somewhere I plan on staying for awhile, I break out my Helinox Cot Max and Nemo Cosmo Air Pad 30XL. On those, my 6’4” bones can sleep comfortably for extended days or weeks. I guess I’m just too lazy to set them up for each single nite’s stop.

Ray

hat light

Departure day is next Saturday, 14 July. I'm leaving around 5 AM to avoid the Las Vegas Traffic that tends to clog the Cajon pass along Int. 15..

Today's picture is...
    Summer Adventure 2018-hatlight1-jpg

This is a small light that fits on a hat visor. $1 at Walmart. It does exactly what you think and shines a light in the direction you are looking at all times. (unless you wear the hat backwards... don't do that.)

Get up in the middle of the night, pull your hat on, turn the black switch to on, and you can see!

The batteries are CR2032 and replaceable. It's not a "one use" item, and it does an efficient job when you need it to.

(sorry to sound so much like a commercial... I don't get anything for promoting any of this stuff...it's just fun to share.)
    Last edited by StratTuner; 8th July 2018 at 07:29.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

- Willie Nelson

Leaving tomorrow morning! Wahooo... already missing Mrs. StratTuner, but that always happens.

Here's the NC loaded for touring:
    Summer Adventure 2018-loaded01-jpg

and from the side...

Summer Adventure 2018-loaded02-jpg

check in at glympse.com/!strat3 between 06:00 to 18:00 hours (6AM to 6PM) to see it live.
    If it says, "expired" then I'm offline.
    This only works when I have phone signal.

First Stop: (somewhere near Route 66)
    Summer Adventure 2018-firststop-jpg
    There's only ONE fire ring here, so I hope it's not taken.
    I have alternates planned.

Last edited by StratTuner; 13th July 2018 at 18:02.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

- Willie Nelson