Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: August, 2017 TAT on the Africa Twin

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '83 650 Nighthawk, '71 Honda SL350
    I was just watching a fellow doing the TAT on a AT. Looked like too much bike in several locations. Had trouble picking it up. His sons were on card 250s. He finally swapped with one of them
    Dance as if no one is watching.

Bike: NC700X, WR250R
    Yeah, to real dirt bike riders a 275-pound dualsport is heavy, but on anything but fast pavement it's so much easier to deal with than an ADV bike, it doesn't wear you out nearly as fast, the worries are less, and it can be fun in places a heavier machine is just something to be endured. For something like the TAT where one may be hitting the highway for stretches it would be nice to have a sub 375-pound machine that may not be a total joy on the fast pavement, but it can do the +70mph speeds with some margin to spare, and is likely to have more clearance, suspension travel, more flickable handling etc for the trails. Seat height also comes into it of course...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greenboy667/albums

Bike: DCT
    I'm following two AT riders, on adv forum who set out to finish the full TAT in 12 days. So far no issues with the terrain, just some routine bike issues as everyone else.
    Those who can handle big bikes prefer them over smaller ponies but it remains to be seen...
    As for me, it's my only bike choice the other Moto is the CTX700DCTAugust, 2017 TAT on the Africa Twin
    Saving that one for tomorrow.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Senior Member August, 2017 TAT on the Africa Twin CRStep's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 DCT CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by DCTFAN View Post
    I'm following two AT riders, on adv forum who set out to finish the full TAT in 12 days. So far no issues with the terrain, just some routine bike issues as everyone else.
    Those who can handle big bikes prefer them over smaller ponies but it remains to be seen...
    As for me, it's my only bike choice the other Moto is the CTX700DCTAugust, 2017 TAT on the Africa Twin
    Saving that one for tomorrow.

You still have your ctx?

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '83 650 Nighthawk, '71 Honda SL350
    Dance as if no one is watching.

Bike: DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by CRStep View Post
    You still have your ctx?
    Yup. Doesn't get to go out much tho'

Arm pump from riding tough terrain and/or picking up heavy bikes leads to shaky camera? ; }

Of course when it's bad it's bad and when it's good it's fantastic. But my continual interest seems to be toward seeing some new designs that are fairly light 450-650cc machines, with more of a dirt orientation. You can get hammered bad enough from dealing with a light bike packed with essentials. Just need enough torque and horsepower and no more, traded off against weight -- especially if you do some solo riding : }

BTW, hats off to those who have the skillz and/or chutzpah to do it on heavy runners. I am not one, however... ; }

Bike: 2014 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by greenboy View Post
    Arm pump from riding tough terrain and/or picking up heavy bikes leads to shaky camera? ; }

Of course when it's bad it's bad and when it's good it's fantastic. But my continual interest seems to be toward seeing some new designs that are fairly light 450-650cc machines, with more of a dirt orientation. You can get hammered bad enough from dealing with a light bike packed with essentials. Just need enough torque and horsepower and no more, traded off against weight -- especially if you do some solo riding : }

Met a dude named Dan with the CSC RX3, a little 250cc adv bike imported by CSC. He has 33,000 miles on his and truly rides offload. He's going to take it from Ohio to South America and go for a years trip next year. (there is a whole thread on ADV rider)

August, 2017 TAT on the Africa Twin-screen-shot-2017-08-12-10-05-40-am-jpg

385 lbs (dry)
    Steel frame (easy to get welding on steel done on the road)

The motor is pretty torquey and pulls the bike up to 85 mph with 6 gears.
    I think they run under $4000.

He added a custom exhaust and I think that's about it. He said motor has been flawless for all 33,000 miles.
    Might be a cheap contender.
    ”Fill your life with adventures, not things. Have stories to tell, not stuff to show.”

85mph. Chortle. Bit of speedo error there. It's a mild-tuned 250 and my WR250 buries it and it won't do a true 85 unless windage is in my favor ; }

But yeah, I've met a guy or two riding around on that China Bike, and we had a good time exchanging info and riding around. Info included the suspension depth and typical WOT speeds.

2016-09-23 15;37;45 by greenboy, on Flickr