Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question: How to clean the air-filter (and maintenance)?

Bike: None yet. Either a Triumph Bonneville, or NC700x
    Go Get'em Lee.

Bike: 2012 NC700X DCT
    Was linked this vid By the Facebook nc700 page.

Bike: Triumph Explorer XC, KTM 990 SMT
    Eh, I desert raced for many years and always used K&N filter. I never had any issues and my engine builder recommended them. The check was to pull it and run your finger on the inside of the intake to see if it had ingested anything.

Bike: 2011 Honda NT700V
    IMHO, a racing environment is different than what we encounter on the street. Admittedly, this is from someone who never raced... But I would imagine your interests were in getting maximum performance without worrying about engine life as long as it made it through the race. Otherwise, why would you have an engine builder? Few of us can afford to keep an engine builder employed. BTW, I find it ironic that I was looking at another forum where the owners are rebuilding their engines as early as 15,000 miles. The thought is that dirt was getting around the filter. Like Lee, I'm very leery of using K&N filters for the same reasons he mentioned. And with the sensors for the fuel injection, any increased airflow would be compensated for.

My current bike has a filter material very similar to the filter material shown in the video.

Question: How to clean the air-filter (and maintenance)?-capture-jpg

What I do with mine, is to soak it for a few hours in a heavy concentration of Simple Green and liquid dishwashing soap. While it may seem strange to use dishwashing soap, it has detergents in it to cut grease and it works well. I use an acid brush to get between the folds or pleats in the filter material. Every half hour or hour, I'll run the acid brush through the pleats again and move the filter up and down through the Simple Green solution to dislodge any dirt. After a few hours, or even letting it soak overnight, I'll take it out and rinse it, then set it aside to dry.

Rather than take the time for the wet filter to dry, I keep a spare filter available and rotate them.

The $30 price is very reasonable, but this would be an alternative.

Chris
    Last edited by Daboo; 11th January 2013 at 10:11.

Senior Member Question: How to clean the air-filter (and maintenance)? happy's Avatar
    Bike: BMW R1200GSA 2018, (Sold)NC700X-ABS-ManualTrans
    OK looks like a big job.....for the garage...
    ~Happy Joe
    LIfe's short, stop writing and start riding ...
    if everyone thinks like me, there is no need for a forum...

Supporting Vendor

Question: How to clean the air-filter (and maintenance)?
    Bike: NC700X nc700xd
    Quote Originally Posted by Daboo View Post
    IMHO, a racing environment is different than what we encounter on the street. Admittedly, this is from someone who never raced... But I would imagine your interests were in getting maximum performance without worrying about engine life as long as it made it through the race. Otherwise, why would you have an engine builder? Few of us can afford to keep an engine builder employed. BTW, I find it ironic that I was looking at another forum where the owners are rebuilding their engines as early as 15,000 miles. The thought is that dirt was getting around the filter. Like Lee, I'm very leery of using K&N filters for the same reasons he mentioned. And with the sensors for the fuel injection, any increased airflow would be compensated for.

My current bike has a filter material very similar to the filter material shown in the video.

Question: How to clean the air-filter (and maintenance)?-capture-jpg

What I do with mine, is to soak it for a few hours in a heavy concentration of Simple Green and liquid dishwashing soap. While it may seem strange to use dishwashing soap, it has detergents in it to cut grease and it works well. I use an acid brush to get between the folds or pleats in the filter material. Every half hour or hour, I'll run the acid brush through the pleats again and move the filter up and down through the Simple Green solution to dislodge any dirt. After a few hours, or even letting it soak overnight, I'll take it out and rinse it, then set it aside to dry.

Rather than take the time for the wet filter to dry, I keep a spare filter available and rotate them.

The $30 price is very reasonable, but this would be an alternative.

Chris
    I would be very careful trying to clean a filter that was not made for cleaning, not knowing what effect the cleaners, would have on the glues in the filter and what effect it could have on the paper, and how will the oil that you put on it be absorbed into the paper?? and will the paper still filter the same microns?? I have Seen paper filters come apart and be sucked into the intake tract and under intake valves, not good , simple green is a very harsh cleaner, it will take the finish off nuts, and bolts, removes almost all greases, and oil. and attacks aluminum.. and that's all, if it does not dry on the surface then it is even worse. be careful and filters that we would ever clean, we would always use only a air cleaner filter cleaner, like k&n. or foam filter cleaners. dale

Bike: 2012 Honda NC700X
    Facebook has a Honda NC700X page... On there was posted a vid on changeing the air filter......

Crap................ I was too slow, already posted..............
    2012 NC700X 37000 and counting
    best MPG

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa
    24000 and counting
    MPG? forget about it.....?

2018 Yamaha Super Tenere ES....

Bike: 2011 Honda NT700V
    Quote Originally Posted by HONDABIKEPRO View Post
    I would be very careful trying to clean a filter that was not made for cleaning, not knowing what effect the cleaners, would have on the glues in the filter and what effect it could have on the paper, and how will the oil that you put on it be absorbed into the paper?? and will the paper still filter the same microns?? I have Seen paper filters come apart and be sucked into the intake tract and under intake valves, not good , simple green is a very harsh cleaner, it will take the finish off nuts, and bolts, removes almost all greases, and oil. and attacks aluminum.. and that's all, if it does not dry on the surface then it is even worse. be careful and filters that we would ever clean, we would always use only a air cleaner filter cleaner, like k&n. or foam filter cleaners. dale
    Excellent points, dale. On my bike...not an NC700X...the paper filters have done just fine. (I've been doing this for 70,000 miles. ) Since it is a paper filter and not a foam filter, I don't believe either my bike or the NC700X uses oil on the filter. Regarding filtering the same microns...it has to be better than a K&N filter in that respect. The only way you get more airflow as K&N advertises, is to have a more porous filter.

Chris

Senior Member Question: How to clean the air-filter (and maintenance)? duk2n's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X ABS
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy-H View Post
    Facebook has a Honda NC700X page... On there was posted a vid on changeing the air filter......

Crap................ I was too slow, already posted..............
    Link to the page, please
    -JL-

Maņo a mucha honra

Senior Member Question: How to clean the air-filter (and maintenance)? Chris's Avatar
    Bike: VFR1200X (Crosstourer)
    The NC700 filter paper is impregnated with oil (not that you'd know by looking at it). Washing it will, at best, remove the oil and reduce the filter efficiency. At worst, as Dale pointed out, the filter is liable to split and could be sucked into the inlet - saving a few bucks on an air filter against risking trashing the engine isn't a great trade off in my view.

Chris