Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Valve Adjustment Step-By-Step

Bike: NC700X
    Hi all,

Just to let you know I've finally found the time to complete the maintenance.

It turns out that two problems knocked me sideways:

1) the February 2012 version of the Shop Manual incorrectly states to align the marks to the 'top notch' where it should read 'bottom notch' and
    2) I didn't take into account that it takes 2 full revolutions of the flywheel for both cylinders to complete 1 full sequence.

Taking all of the above into account it suddenly all made sense and the rest of it was a doddle ...

Thank you very much everybody for all your kind help.

TJW

Super Moderator Valve Adjustment Step-By-Step 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Thanks for the follow up, TJW. The discussion here will likely help others through the process, as well. I’m glad you accomplished the task, and I imagine you feel good about doing it yourself.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: nc700s
    Quote Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
    duk2n, when you say: "Our European manual", is it the Official Honda Helm manual, or a Private Company/Seller's manual?

The only other manual that I know of that is not Helm, has the valve adjust info wrong.

If it doesn't look like this, it's not the Honda one that I can say, without seeing any other evidence to my knowledge.
    I just wanted to chime in here, that I had a copy of the WRONG manual and adjusted my 2012 nc700s by lining the camshaft mark with the upper line - set the valves accordingly and fired it up to a tremendous clatter of loose valves. I then came back here and found this information - readjusted by lining it up with the lower mark and now all is sweet. I wonder if these erroneous manuals floating around the internet have any other mistakes in them?

tl;dr Use the BOTTOM MARK in the camshaft inspection window

Bike: Honda
    I think the inspection interval for the 2015 model and later is 16k miles. I was planning on looking at mine at 10k. I doubt they will be very much out of spec. I donít hear the valves at all at 7k.

Super Moderator Valve Adjustment Step-By-Step 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by bvogel7475 View Post
    I think the inspection interval for the 2015 model and later is 16k miles. I was planning on looking at mine at 10k. I doubt they will be very much out of spec. I donít hear the valves at all at 7k.
    Hearing the valves is better than not hearing the valves, as having them get too tight is way worse than too loose. But yes, waiting until 16K miles should be no problem.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "240,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member Valve Adjustment Step-By-Step dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by bvogel7475 View Post
    I think the inspection interval for the 2015 model and later is 16k miles. I was planning on looking at mine at 10k. I doubt they will be very much out of spec. I don’t hear the valves at all at 7k.
    Happy valves are tappy valves, quiet valves could be a source of concern however a look-see at 10K is very reasonable. I doubt you will find clearances so tight as to be detrimental to the engine. Honda gives very conservative clearances.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: '17 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    Happy valves are tappy valves, quiet valves could be a source of concern however a look-see at 10K is very reasonable. I doubt you will find clearances so tight as to be detrimental to the engine. Honda gives very conservative clearances.
    My valves got a touch louder after I did my first valve service. I found my valves were on the tight side from the factory. Everything's been smooth sailing so far, we'll see how round two goes

'16/17 MY Helm Manual owner here confirming the service interval is indeed 16k miles for the valves. Amongst the best sub-$50 investments I've made in my bike. I think I got it for $35.

This thread is actually the one that convinced me to get the book, and eventually sign up for an account here.

Bike: NC700S
    Best 'how to guide' ever!! Thank you so much from London England. You should write a book - your writing is superb. I managed to do this correctly the 3rd time but only because of your excellent instructions. Brilliant :-)
    but this one goes to 11.......