Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Adjustment Step-By-Step

Fixed Idea Valve Adjustment Step-By-Step
    Valve Adjustment Step-By-Step
    Bike: CBR125R NC700XA
    Quote Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
    My manual says the first valve adjustment should be done at 4k. Then 8000 mile intervals from that point forward.
    How curious! The Shop manual has the first inspection at 8,000 miles and the same for every one after that.

Is this in your owner's manual? I can't honestly say I remember what was in mine, but I find that 4,000 mile number to be rather strange and not corresponding with any valve checks I recall seeing.

No complaints by me to follow along with your great step by step anyway, though
    Chillin' with Cybersix and Data 7 in Meridiana

Senior Member Valve Adjustment Step-By-Step
    Bike: .
    Quote Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
    How curious! The Shop manual has the first inspection at 8,000 miles and the same for every one after that.

Is this in your owner's manual? I can't honestly say I remember what was in mine, but I find that 4,000 mile number to be rather strange and not corresponding with any valve checks I recall seeing.

No complaints by me to follow along with your great step by step anyway, though
    You know what? I must have just mixed up the numbers. It's common for motorcycles to have an EARLIER valve adjustment in the beginning and then a larger interval afterwords, so I must have checked the "check mark" and figured the valves were at 4000.

Closer inspection, you are correct. Both the service manual and the owners manual say 8000. Oh well, I'll do it twice by 8000 haha. It's a short enough process that it doesn't really matter, and coolant at $7.00 a bottle isn't the end of the world.

Bike: .
    By the way: Quick edit for anyone who does this. (I added it to the top, but I'll write it here too).

In most cases you may find that your valves are slightly TIGHT prior to adjusting them. They may be within spec, but on the tight side of spec. As a valve gets "loose," it gets louder. As in, more actual "ticking" noise coming from the top end of the motor.

Why am I telling you this? If you take the time to ensure your valve clearance is set properly, the odds are you will have INCREASED (loosened) the valve clearances from their prior position, so you may hear a slight INCREASE in top end engine noise. Don't panic, trust that you did your job correctly. If it's excessively off, it will be excessively LOUD as well as alter the idle and the way the engine runs under load (as in, how much power it makes).

Bottom line: If your valves were "tight" prior to adjusting them back to spec, expect them to be slightly louder than they were before. That's completely normal. You won't harm anything (well, generally speaking) with an overly LOOSE valve; But you will cause all sorts of problems with a TIGHT valve.

Take the time to check, tighten, recheck, recheck, torque, recheck and recheck the valve clearance before buttoning up the valve cover. No matter the "sound," you will KNOW, without a doubt, it is in spec. Remember, USE THE SAME MEASUREMENT METHOD FOR ALL VALVES.

Senior Member Valve Adjustment Step-By-Step duk2n's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X ABS
    Great job, very appreciated!
    -JL-

Maņo a mucha honra

Bike: X-Adventure, Suzuki VStrom 1000ABS, 1989 Honda Dominator, CRF250L
    Excellent post. Very Useful, and very much appreciated.

Valve Adjustment Step-By-Step
    Bike: 2012 NC700X Manual non ABS (07/27/12)
    Thanks for posting this!

Bike: NC700X, Yamaha Roadstar
    This is great! The youtube video version is great too, but this works better for step-by-step checking on a tablet while doing the work.

Bike: NC700X
    My manual says the first valve adjustment should be done at 4k. Then 8000 mile intervals from that point forward.
    yep. same here. wonderful DIY guide. exactly what i was asking for a very long time.

Thank you!

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    There's better pictures in the Garage section, but a little more written detail here. On YouTube there's a pretty well produced how-to video as well, but it's not quite as in depth -- still very good.

Between the three out there, hopefully we'll persuade someone to become a mechanic!
    +1 - There's a lot of really good info floating around on this board and YouTube. For the short time this bike has been around, the answers are coming before most of the questions are even asked.

Well done, it'll help many people down the line.

trey

Bike: Ducati Monster, NC700X
    Excellent post. It's is SUBSCRIBED!!!
    Naked_Duc (Tony)