Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Climbing on

Bike: '14 NC700X

Climbing on

When I did a BMW demo day I was kicking the side cases as I got off and on the bike. The rep taught me a trick of mounting the bike like a horse. Left foot on the peg, squeeze the front brake, throw your leg over. Do the opposite order to get off. It made a world of difference and I've done it successfully on BMW and Triumph adv bikes. I didn't have side case on my NC, so I never tried it on my bike, until now. With two new adventure cases I'm kicking them more than I did on the Bimmer. I tried the mounting trick and the kickstand feels pretty wobbly.

Anyone mount this way on a regular basis and know I won't snap the side stand off the frame?

Senior Member Climbing on dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    That might depend on your weight.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member Climbing on ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by mblue240 View Post
    Anyone mount this way on a regular basis and know I won't snap the side stand off the frame?
    Yes.......
    No........
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Senior Member Climbing on
    Bike: 2013 NC700S
    Since this is the internet and opinions are free I'll put mine out there I think the stock stand is well engineered so feel it will hold up. I wonder about after market stuff. I don't mount this way often but have been known to spin the bike around on the stand or sit on it with the stand down. With my gear I would weigh in at over 190lbs.

Bike: '82 Honda GL500
    I have a trunk instead of a pillion on my GL500
    The GL500's seat is lower, but stepping on the footpeg helps me clear the Trunk.
    Doesn't seem to stress the kickstand much

Climbing on-1-68580337_10156406080242057_635718171273199616_n-1-jpg
    Last edited by LeeInMpls; 17th November 2019 at 13:52.
    Lee in Minneapols, Minnesota '82 GL500

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Nice bike, Lee!

Bike: NC750S
    At 80kg in full gear I'm perfectly happy to mount using the left rest. Only a topbox on my S but my hips 'ain't what they used to be.'

If you look at the sidestand angle with the bike leaning on it the load would go down the stand leg without much bending tendency. The sidestand being mounted onto the frame is also a good feature. Some bikes, like my Buell, have the sidestand bolted to the alloy engine unit and in those cases I think it's best not to climb on using the left rest. Fortunately I don't need to with that bike because the seat is just that bit lower and narrower. My S has a Shad seat which is too grippy for my right knee to slide over it.

This being a US forum I'm reluctant to give my weight in lb. because I don't know if all pounds weigh the same! Ditto litres versus gallons. Why doesn't everyone use the simple decimal system?
    Graham
    2014 NC750 SD
    2007 Buell XB12Ss

Bike: '14 NC700X
    I'm 200lbs (ish), or 90.5kg, with gear on. I'll give it a go. Thanks!

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Why doesn't everyone use the simple decimal system?
    We use decimals more and more. Most measuring tapes here now come in feet and tenths, for example.
    As to why we don’t change base units (pounds to kilograms, for example); We weren’t deceived by Napoleon into thinking that you had to change base units just to use tenths instead of fractions. :-p