Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to remove chain lube from a tire?

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    The cardboard sounds like a good idea and as it's been mentioned, most of us have plenty

Bike: 750 XD, FLHTC, Can Am RT
    Like 670cc. I always use a big piece of cardboard on the floor and a little one by the chain. In fifty two years of riding I don't think I've ever cleaned a tire.

A shiny tire would ruin my rep.

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    Dawn dish soap is great for cleanup: Wheels, Tires, Hands, etc. safe on all surfaces and rinses with water.
    I also use it on spills on the concrete. Any oil or fluid gets a dose of dish soap straight from the bottle. Then work it in a bit and let it sit. After the next rain, the driveway is all clean.

Senior Member How to remove chain lube from a tire? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I don't use spray chain lubes anymore. About every 500-600 miles I take two of those heavy duty blue shop paper towels folded into eighths and spray a good wet spot of WD40 on it then run the chain (by hand) across it a few turns by hand. The WD40 isn't a lubricant it only serves to clean the outer surfaces of the chain and there isn't enough WD40 used to wet the chain and possibly get inside the O-ring seals. O-ring chains have grease sealed inside the chain links. To keep the O-rings supple and conditioned I take a toothbrush and dip in ONCE in 80w90 gear oil and again turn the wheel by hand a few times to spread an even amount of the gear oil on the top of the lower run of the chain. I only do this every 1000-1200 miles depending on the weather I've been riding in. The chain stays clean and the rear wheel stays as clean as my shaft drive bike does.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Senior Member How to remove chain lube from a tire? SilverRocket's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    When ever I get a medium size or bigger box delivered I cut off the 4 flaps of cardboard and put them in my bag of bike maintenance stuff. It's got my cleaners, lubricants, chain wax (been using wax only for about 5 years now), tools, gloves, etc. I started doing this because my previous bike had a catalytic converter underneath where it would catch overspray when waxing my chain.
    I still use the cardboard to catch any overspray as I move the chain about 4-5 inches at a time. I would never spray on the chain at the back of the rear sprocket, like I've seen done on some videos. I don't understand that. It seems like not only a waste of wax (lube) but creates more mess to clean up.

I also tend to give the bike a cleaning before waxing the chain and so I've usually just wiped all the dust off my rear wheel. Last thing I want is to get chain wax on my clean wheel, much less the tire. I guess some aren't as picky?