Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation

Senior Member OEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation Ruggybuggy's Avatar
    Bike: Honda NC750XA Yamaha FZ1
    Now your going to have to rekey the luggage locks to match the ignition key. Some find it challenging.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggybuggy View Post
    Now your going to have to rekey the luggage locks to match the ignition key. Some find it challenging.
    YouTube how to key a lock, same concept for most locks, once you get the cylinder out it's not too hard, just don't lose any parts

Senior Member OEM Saddlebag and Carrier InstallationOEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation PortlandZinMan's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 NC700X DCT
    OEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation-img_5356-jpg

Last Step = The panels - primer yesterday, paint this afternoon and 1st coat of clear coat tonight - one to two more coats and then 24 hour dry and they go on too! A few small imperfections, but it is looking good!
    Don
    PortlandZinMan
    2014 NC700 DCT
    Portland, OR

Senior Member OEM Saddlebag and Carrier InstallationOEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation PortlandZinMan's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 NC700X DCT
    OEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation-img_5359-jpg

Project Complete!!!
    Last edited by PortlandZinMan; 16th February 2017 at 15:32.
    Don
    PortlandZinMan
    2014 NC700 DCT
    Portland, OR

Senior Member OEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation
    Bike: .
    Quote Originally Posted by PortlandZinMan View Post
    OEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation-img_5359-jpg

Project Complete!!!
    Looks great!

Senior Member OEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation SilverRocket's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG

What rack is this?

OEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation-rear-carrier1-jpg

My demo 2016 NC came with this rear carrier and I can't tell if it will work with the Honda OEM rear trunk.
    I thought I was lucking out by having it come installed on my bike, but it doesn't look like any of the carriers that I've seen online.
    My dealer thinks I need the OEM rear carrier, which has the louvers in it.

Should I stick to getting an aftermarket bag like Givi ? And do bags require a mounting plate that could fit to my carrier?

Senior Member OEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation Nofear2trek's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XD
    Usually on my 50ft liveaboard (tiny house) yacht tied up in Oregon, but also Space-A alot to SE Asia
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverRocket View Post
    OEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation-rear-carrier1-jpg

My demo 2016 NC came with this rear carrier and I can't tell if it will work with the Honda OEM rear trunk.
    I thought I was lucking out by having it come installed on my bike, but it doesn't look like any of the carriers that I've seen online.

Should I stick to getting an aftermarket bag like Givi ? And do bags require a mounting plate that could fit to my carrier?
    It looks like it is shaped for the Honda OEM accessory trunk (top case) fittings. I don't recognize that rack but the hand rails do have the holes for the Honda OEM accessory side case mounts.

I would bet money that the Honda trunk would fit, maybe a local member with one would meet you to test one on your rack.

I like and use my Honda top case but I had a custom rack fabricated to use with my Touratech pannier rack swapped from my 2012 NC' when I got my 2016 NC'. Because of the styling change of the rear fender area from the 2012-2015 and the 2016-2017 models, the hand rails and racks are different.

Ray

Life is Wonderful, if it isn't you may be doing it Wrong!

18 centuries of the choice, 'believe this way or die', & always chosen life, is a lineage difficult to separate from. I understand. But do not fear my belief science created the universe, I'll never say "Big Bang's Will" made me do you harm. We are a genuinely free & peaceful lot.

Bike: None
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverRocket View Post

What's the sticker on the top of the rack say? I wonder if this is just a newer version of the Honda rack?

Just the standard disclaimer about not exceeding the weight limit, same as all the other OEM racks I've seen.
    There is a part number on the underside but I'd need one of the tiny scope cameras to see it.

I've tossed the dice and ordered a Givi Monolock bag and hopefully its plate attaches to my rack pretty well.

I installed the Givi Monolock (E370) today. I utilized the 2 rear-most factory holes on the carrier and then drilled 2 more 1/4" holes for the forward mounting points.
    The bolts going through those holes weren't long enough so I made the trip to the hardware store for longer bolts. I wanted to use the s-shaped brackets on the underside to make sure they bolts couldn't rip through the mounts. Got everything installed but then realized I didn't use washers so looks like I've more work to do...
    Attached Images Attached Images OEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation-20170824_150043-jpg