Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by PortlandZinMan View Post
    Well, the night ended in supreme frustration. I dropped 2 important parts that are now lost somewhere in the innards of the bike - after taking off most of the plastic, I was unable to locate the missing hardware. On top of that, a very simple "hint" would be to install the upper brackets for the side bags to the grab rails BEOFRE installing them - once I spent all the time mounting the grab rails and rear carrier, I found that attaching the saddlebag upper brackets almost impossible. If the instructions would have recommended installing them before mounting them to the bike, it would have been a huge time and dropped parts savings. I am hitting the part ordering site and then the whiskey. Total failure tonight. I am too old for this. I am about to turn in my man card.
    You'll have to get some generic parts from the hardware store or an online shop if you don't want to buy the whole kit again. Something like 99% of the parts for the OEM baggage mounts are not listed, and last I searched someone said they were unable to get them sourced from their honda dealer. Of course it doesn't hurt to try, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Senior Member OEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Don't feel so bad. I'm somewhat of a DIY guy and don't usually run into problems overhauling newkclear reactors and fitting motorcycle luggage but twice I've dropped hardware into the black hole under the NC700X gas tank when installing luggage racks.

I have a small magnet on a telescoping stick for this type of mistake we all do sometime or the other and I was able to fish the things out and stay sober over it.

The tool is something else to buy but the next time it happens you will have the tool. Why would anyone have a magnet on a stick unless they dropped something in a black hole.

Gotta review how to collect tools - first 40 seconds here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OzMMh9fWDc
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    Don't feel so bad. I'm somewhat of a DIY guy and don't usually run into problems overhauling newkclear reactors and fitting motorcycle luggage but twice I've dropped hardware into the black hole under the NC700X gas tank when installing luggage racks.

I have a small magnet on a telescoping stick for this type of mistake we all do sometime or the other and I was able to fish the things out and stay sober over it.

The tool is something else to buy but the next time it happens you will have the tool. Why would anyone have a magnet on a stick unless they dropped something in a black hole.

Gotta review how to collect tools - first 40 seconds here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OzMMh9fWDc
    I would like to add get the one with the collar around the magnet (so it doesn't stock to everything metal, like the car, truck or motorcycle your working on) I've also got a couple of those cable with the three pronged grabber (squeeze the plunger it opens, release and it closes) besides dropping hardware I've lost a few sockets and wrenches. I've turned a few quick projects into dissecting a vehicle looking for my tool LOL
    Last edited by rippin209; 14th February 2017 at 06:24.

Senior Member OEM Saddlebag and Carrier InstallationOEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation PortlandZinMan's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 NC700X DCT

Installation and Lessons Learned

Well, I finished installing the grab rails, carrier and saddlebags. Total time, 2 days, 3 hours each day. A majority of that time was redoing the same work several times due to either a part getting lost in the debth of the engine bay or I had to backup and redo thing because I hit a roadblock. Note: The instructions SUCK!

Lesson one - make sure you have the latest version of the installation instructions. They are different (2012 and everything else).

Here we go...

OEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation-img_5338-jpg

I do a great job getting this all done - no issues at all! Then it is time to install the upper brackets for the saddlebags. The problem is, there is NO room to get your hands in to add washers and sleaves and then thread the nuts. I try to get cute but finally lost a nut in the bodywork. I took everything off, found the nut and this time mounted the upper saddlebag brackets to the new grab bar BEFORE reinstalling it on the bike. During that reinstall, I of course, lose one of the sleaves that you need to (re)mount the grab rails ... I never did find that and that was the end of day one.

(it is going to make me do this in multiple messages)
    Attached Images Attached Images OEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation-img_5336-jpg 
    Don
    PortlandZinMan
    2014 NC700 DCT
    Portland, OR

Senior Member OEM Saddlebag and Carrier InstallationOEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation PortlandZinMan's Avatar
    So I learned to use masking tape to hold those sleeves in place while installing the rails and carrier.

OEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation-img_5342-jpgOEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation-img_5345-jpg

So like I said, mount those upper saddlebag brackets to the grab rail BEFORE install the rail on the bike.
    Don
    PortlandZinMan
    2014 NC700 DCT
    Portland, OR

Next tip - when installing the lower guide rails, thread the bolts/sleeves/washers on the top that go into the fender FIRST and leave them very loose. Then to the same for the bolts/sleeves/washers that attach to the footpeg bracket. Learned this the hard way!
    Attached Images Attached Images OEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation-img_5347-jpg 
    Don
    PortlandZinMan
    2014 NC700 DCT
    Portland, OR

Leave the lower guide loose until you actually have the bags installed and then tighten them - do this one at a time. And here is the finished product. Tomorrow I start primer and painting the saddlebag panels to match the bike.
    Attached Images Attached Images OEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation-img_5354-jpg OEM Saddlebag and Carrier Installation-img_5351-jpg 
    Don
    PortlandZinMan
    2014 NC700 DCT
    Portland, OR

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Looks good and thanks for the tips on installing the rear rack, I'm still planning on getting one

Bike: NC700X
    If you ever find that sleeve laying around, send me a pic--the original owner of my bike lost two (and the nuts and bolts that went with them), so I'll be needing a replacement. Well, either sleeves or the spacers...haven't disassembled it to look, but the whole top rack rattles because of it. I figure he didn't torque the bolts or use loctite, and they rattled off on the road.

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Glad you got it together! My saddlebags were mounted when I bought the bike, else I'd have been able to pass along the helpful tip about the mount.