Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installation and review of Cogent Dynamic DDC fork upgrade.

Fixed Idea Installation and review of Cogent Dynamic DDC fork upgrade.
    Installation and review of Cogent Dynamic DDC fork upgrade.
    Bike: CBR125R NC700XA
    Awesome posts, fellas! It's great to read and compare notes, learn tips/tricks, and get good general impressions of these various suspension tweaks, throughout the collective group.

For me, I would say I did my front forks more for comfort versus performance, and the opposite for the rear shock, where the OEM seemed unremarkable to the point of not thinking about it, (for good or bad manners) until it would get overtaxed on some of the surfaces I choose to ride on.

So in that regard, the cheapness and ease of doing the front was the best bang for the buck for me, day in day out. I noticed more comfort straight away. The rear... well, I don't regret my purchase, but until I specifically ride on washboard gravel, dirt roads, or poorly maintained potholed pavement, I can't say I honestly feel a huge difference between the $$$$ shock, and the OEM.

It was worth the cost for the rear shock under those circumstances, for sure, though. Having the remote preload adjuster alone, is a very happy thing for me.
    Chillin' with Cybersix and Data 7 in Meridiana

Senior Member Installation and review of Cogent Dynamic DDC fork upgrade. dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I'm getting ready to install Cogent DDCs in the 2015 and nowhere did I write down the diameter of the stock spring collars (spacers). I know the stock collar length is 150 mm but I need the OD to get some PVC pipe today.

Does anyone know offhand the OD of the collars?

Edit: I found the old piece of pipe I used to cut the necessary 160mm spacers for the 2012. It's 1" PVC. The diameter of the stock ones is 34 mm.
    Last edited by dduelin; 9th October 2015 at 11:19.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: NC750S
    Hi Dave

After five years you may not be about here still but if you are thanks for a great post.

My 750S has been fitted with these cartridges for 13,000km but the forks have still been giving my old spine a hard time. At last I think I may know why - the forks have had 10W oil in them. In the next day or so I'll drain and refill to -140mm with the Spectro 5W which Cogent specify. Fingers crossed.

The rear is fitted with a tuned Nitron R2 unit which I'm very happy with.

Senior Member Installation and review of Cogent Dynamic DDC fork upgrade. dduelin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Hi Dave

After five years you may not be about here still but if you are thanks for a great post.

My 750S has been fitted with these cartridges for 13,000km but the forks have still been giving my old spine a hard time. At last I think I may know why - the forks have had 10W oil in them. In the next day or so I'll drain and refill to -140mm with the Spectro 5W which Cogent specify. Fingers crossed.

The rear is fitted with a tuned Nitron R2 unit which I'm very happy with.
    Thanks for the kind words and I think you will like the difference the light Spectro will make.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Hi Dave

Did you ever change the springs for single rate ones as Cogent recommend? My forks are fitted with single rate springs of about 7.4N which give an ideal laden sag of 40mm or I/3 of total travel. I weigh almost 180lb in full riding kit when measuring the sag.

Did you ever dismantle the DDC units? I'm tempted to do that tomorrow just to try to understand how they function.

Graham
    2014 NC750SD
    2007 Buell XB12Ss

No, I still have the OEM springs, still at 165 lbs riding weight. I haven't dismantled one of the cartridges.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    Thanks for the kind words and I think you will like the difference the light Spectro will make.
    You're so correct, Dave. The lighter 5W compared with 10W is like chalk and cheese in how the damping feels. Now the bike feels to have a nice front/rear balance when given the static rocking test – stand on the right side of the bike with the left side prop/kick stand down, hold the right grip and the front brake on, hold the rear left handle, now rock the bike back and forth to evaluate the front/rear suspension balance.
    Graham
    2014 NC750 SD
    2007 Buell XB12Ss

Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    No, I still have the OEM springs, still at 165 lbs riding weight. I haven't dismantled one of the cartridges.
    I have now dismantled a cartridge. Very cleverly machined oilways. High quality. In mine there is one upper/compression shim and one lower/rebound shim, the compression being lighter than the rebound.
    Graham
    2014 NC750 SD
    2007 Buell XB12Ss