Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NC700X Hard to Start Intermittently

Bike: 2012 NC700X

NC700X Hard to Start Intermittently

Ok, I have a bit of an issue and figured I could use some more heads brainstorming causes. My NC has become hard to start, at seemingly random times -- I've not detected a pattern anyway. Sometimes it's first thing in the morning when it's 'cold' (it's June in TX, it only drops into the 70's at this point). Or today it was fussy when I started it after work, sitting in the 90°F heat.

Video from the other day, morning start up:

A little twist of the throttle and it'll usually fire up. This happens maybe 40-50% of the time. Some mornings it starts immediately.

If I remember right, this started right about the time I finished my Iron Butt ride. Portions of that were into a nasty West Texas headwind, and I had the throttle literally pinned for a few hours at a time. I didn't think much of it really, this was standard procedure on my little WR250R and TW200 and neither seemed to mind a bit.

Thinking maybe all my WOT exploits fouled a plug or something, I replaced the spark plugs this weekend because they're easy to get to, and OCR found a cheap NGK substitute for the Iridium stock plugs. No change in the way it runs afterwards. It fired right up this morning, but gave me trouble this afternoon like I said. OEM plugs looked just fine (~23k miles) and still had proper gap.

My next thought is to check the valves again. I checked them at just shy of 20k miles and adjusted a couple to spec, but I'd be shocked if they moved in 3k miles. Valve noise is the same as always, I'd think if I didn't torque down an adjuster they'd loosen up very quickly and be noisy. Not sure what else I could screw up there.... My 10k and 20k inspections they've barely moved, and I only adjusted them to put them back to the middle of spec.

You can see the voltmeter on the dash, battery seems healthy to me. Maybe something with the fuel pump? I'm going to start 'priming' it twice and see if that helps -- ie, turn the run switch on, let it prime. And then cycle the run switch off and on again. Maybe the fuel pump is going, or the priming time is being cut short? Seems the same as it always has to me (you can hear it in the video).

So, any other ideas? It's been doing it for a few weeks now, quite a few tanks of gas have gone through it, so I don't think it's bad gas. Once it starts it runs great. I intentionally did quite a few full throttle, all the way to rev-limiter pulls today on the way home from work and it runs great. This is my daily commuter and weekend warrior, it doesn't sit for more than 48 hours, ever. Cruising around the hill country this weekend I got my best fuel mileage ever, 82.5 MPG. Previous best was ~75 MPG.

Does anyone know how the EFI choke/enricher works on these? It has never failed to start right away once the engine is fully warm, so maybe there's some temperature sensor that's out of whack? No CEL or anything (that'd be too easy ). This started in late April, about the time it stops getting cool here at all, or I'd try and see if it's consistently better or worse when cooler out.

Any help mucho appreciated.

trey
    Last edited by treybrad; 2nd June 2014 at 16:37.

Bike: NC700X (Red, manual, ABS)
    Is it just me or is the starter motor turning over a bit slow? Is it possible to have normal voltage but insufficient amperage? (What I know about electricity you could stick in your eye with your optometrist's complete blessing).

Senior Member NC700X Hard to Start Intermittently itlives's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X, 2012 Super Tenere
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cash View Post
    Is it just me or is the starter motor turning over a bit slow? Is it possible to have normal voltage but insufficient amperage? (What I know about electricity you could stick in your eye with your optometrist's complete blessing).
    The first thing I thought was the starter sounds "different" than mine -Mike, you hit it, it does sound slower than mine.
    Don't know if that's the problem, though -sorry.

Good original post! So many people are very vague in describing the problem. You've done your slutheing!

Bike: NC700X (Red, manual, ABS)
    Mine always fires right up, even in the dead of winter. On the extremely rare occasions it goes a second or so before catching, the starter seems to be more energetic than that in the video. The only time it has sounded like that was when the battery got waaaay down one time. A few hours hooked up to the Optimate 4 tender cured that.

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Interesting, maybe the battery is going, it's just been such a slow death I haven't noticed the gradual weakening. I know there are others who have had some premature battery issues.

Will be interested if others agree the battery sounds a little weak. Anyone want to post a video of their NC starting up for comparison??

trey

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Senior Member NC700X Hard to Start Intermittently silverhound's Avatar
    Bike: '13 NC700X DCT, '14 FJR 1300ES
    I dunno. I always like to start with the simplest and cheapest possible remedies. I'd run some SeaFoam or injector cleaner/engine treatment of your choice through the system and see if there's any improvement after a tank or two of fuel.
    2013 Honda NC700X DCT - Hers
    2014 Yamaha FJR1300ES - Mine

Bike: Integra
    if the battery does have drop in voltage this could interfere with the starting it requires 11.5v to run the ECU and components to start the engine

Bike:
    Check for loose battery connections.

Check battery voltage while cranking. If it drops too far replace.

A fuel system cleaner (techron is recommended) would not hurt.

Senior Member NC700X Hard to Start Intermittently Ruggybuggy's Avatar
    Bike: Honda NC750XA Yamaha FZ1
    I think your battery is fine. It showed 10.9V while cranking. You could do a load test on the battery to confirm before you change it. Because its intermittent your going to have to get a scanner on it and see if there are any codes present. I'm not sure if the NC's have a self diagnostic procedure. My best guess would be a the coolant temp sensor. You could ohm it and see it in specs before seeing your Honda dealer to get the system scanned.

“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

Senior Member NC700X Hard to Start Intermittently happy's Avatar
    Bike: BMW R1200GSA 2018, (Sold)NC700X-ABS-ManualTrans
    I had a similar problem this morning. First time in 2 years.
    Difference is I plugged in the GPS (empty so it drew amps from the battery straightaway), and I had to crank say 4 times and then the bike started.
    Other times, it is always 1 turn 1 startup.

I also think it is a battery amperage problem which can lead to non-start.
    Check your battery and disconnect unnecessary assessories or make a on-off switch for them (they remain off til bike is on).
    ~Happy Joe
    LIfe's short, stop writing and start riding ...
    if everyone thinks like me, there is no need for a forum...