Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: NC700X Hard to Start Intermittently

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Yes mine still does long crank on occasion..........usually after it sits with no use.
    Mine has a new battery..........old one was still good but original.
    It did remove and check the idle air control valve .......after which the long crank did not occur for aleast 45 days.
    I also checked the plugs that look perfect ( except excessive gap) and ignoring the shop manual adjusted the spark gap back into spec. I did the air controller thing and plugs at the same time. Which again is a mistake if your trying to isolate a cause or find a root cause.

If mine does not start in the first 3-5 seconds of cranking........I open the throttle just slightly (1/8 turn) and it always fires up.
    Last edited by showkey; 11th June 2018 at 11:08.

Bike: 2014 NC700x
    Last May, I purchased a leftover 2014 with zero miles. Love the bike but the last few days I've had the same issues, and the very 1st video is exactly what my bike is doing. The bike normally starts as soon as I hit the button. The last couple days it started the cranking but take a while to start. After it starts it has a very rough idle and bogs down when I give it the gas. If I go back a little while later its seems to clear up. I wonder if it could be something in my tank? I think I've found the release valve underneath to drain the fuel. Is there another inline filter I can check between the tank and motor? I can not find one in the manual. If I fill the tank and put in FE cleaner could that help clean out any gunk?

The bike only has 1400 miles on it so I do not think its mechanical. I keep in a shed so its out of the weather, but last year I did add some gas stabilizer. Its been at least two fill ups since the season started but I wonder If I jacked something up. Thoughts?

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    There is no in line filter after the in tank pump.
    There are small screens at the injector inlets.........if they were plugged I don’t think it would be intermittent problem.

Bike: 2014 NC700x
    Thanks for the info. How about this. After I turn the bike on, right after the fuel pump starts up, I hear a small zap or buzz like noise come from the front of the bike. Sounds like its down around the exhaust headers. Is that the starter relay switch kicking in? I do not recall hearing that noise before.

Senior Member NC700X Hard to Start Intermittently davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Just wondering, when you fill up the bike; how high are you filling the bike in the filler neck. I was at a local motorcycle shop and saw numerous stickers on bikes (which i had not seen before), stating 'do not overfill the bike in the filler neck. Doing so could result in hard starting/long cranking'.....If over filling is causing some kind of vapor lock in the system, check your fuel overflow tube (under the bike) and see if there is any fuel in the line, if so, empty and see what happens..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerrdawg View Post
    Thanks for the info. How about this. After I turn the bike on, right after the fuel pump starts up, I hear a small zap or buzz like noise come from the front of the bike. Sounds like its down around the exhaust headers. Is that the starter relay switch kicking in? I do not recall hearing that noise before.

That noise is normal............the one from the front is the IAC ( idle air control valve) cycling. Shop manual make a reference to that buzz. The IAC is attached to the throttle body.