Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjusting the parking brake

Bike: aprilia mana

Adjusting the parking brake

My parking brake of my DCT doesn't seem to hold the bike so I am guessing it just needs adjustment. Anyone have any idea on how hard this is to do or how long would it take a shop to do it?

Thanks in advance.

Bode

Bike: 13' NC700XD , 06' GL1800
    Very simple! A nut behind the muffler (you need to remove the muffler for that). 1/2 hour tops for removal, adjustment and put back together.
    ~ Lenny ~

Positive emotions are worth every penny! Go for it!
    Ride on, my friend!

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by icing777 View Post
    Very simple! A nut behind the muffler (you need to remove the muffler for that). 1/2 hour tops for removal, adjustment and put back together.
    Adjusting the parking brake-7-jpg

Follow icing777 instructions and you should be in good shape.

Adjusting the parking brake-smileysingleeyeglass-jpg

Adjusting the parking brake-00-jpg
    Last edited by Old Can Ride; 26th March 2014 at 16:48.
    Why not seize the pleasure at once? -- How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, and foolish planning? Just do it. Shut the frunk up and Ride !!!!!!!!!!

Bike: 13' NC700XD , 06' GL1800
    Bode, if you don't have the shop manual - I will send you the copies of appropriate pages from the manual.

Or anyone else for that matter...

Or try this :
    1. https://s1191.photobucket.com/user/ic...tml?sort=3&o=1
    2. https://i1191.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0318eb4b.jpg

Hit the "+" in a circle on the bottom right to explode the pics. Could do it a number of times.
    Last edited by NCer; 22nd March 2014 at 05:22.
    ~ Lenny ~

Positive emotions are worth every penny! Go for it!
    Ride on, my friend!

Bike: aprilia mana
    Just got back from the shop. Took them all of 15 minutes to adjust. Charged me nothing.

Senior Member Adjusting the parking brake Jay Fridays's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X (DCT)

So… My parking brake wasn't feeling strong as it used to. I have the manual, and adjusted as it said at the rear wheel. Took about 1 minute to do (because I have the GPR muffler, no need to remove it)

Problem is:
    The manual says that the arrow on the Hand lever should fall between the two notches when activated. Mine is now a bit past the last notch now. I figure this means I should have done the adjustment on the hand lever side. The manual just says to "release the dust cover". Does this mean to CUT it?? How do you "release" it?

Is there a way to remove the dust cover without damaging it? To wrap new shrink tube, I'd have to disconnect the cable, and I don't want to do that at all….

The brake is working strong, so is it really a problem if the arrow is past the notch?
    Aloha !!!

2012 - Honda NC700x (dct)
    Spy 5000m 2-way Alarm w/Auto-Start, GPR Thunder Deeptone Exhaust, JMV Tail Kit, Kellerman Micro-rhombus LED Turn Signals, Signal Dynamics Back-off Brake Light Modulator, Path-Blazer Headlight Modulator, Pro Adjustable brake lever - Short, Powerbronze Dark-tint Windshield

Bike: NC700XD
    to Jay or anyone who has the NC700XD with Auto transmission and parking brake.

I don't have a manual yet, but wish to adjust the parking brake, after 2 years and 11K miles, it needs to be adjusted for more static grab (parking).

I read from Jay Fridays reply above that this is done at the rear wheel, which I think is correct due to no cable adjustor at the handle up front. I see that there is also no cable adjustor at the rear wheel, only a bolt and locknut that is inline with the piston displacement (towards the brake pad and rotor).
    Is the intent from Honda for the adjustment to be done with this bolt somehow? Does it simply reduce the gap between the pads and the rotor while somehow allowing the cable to be non-adjustable?
    Help any one who is familiar with the NC700X!
    thanks
    Adrian
    Last edited by JABOWLUS; 1st October 2014 at 07:04.

Bike: Honda NC700X DCT, Yamaha Super Tenere
    Just slide the tube (dust cover) back away from the brake handle and expose the adjusting barrel and the locknut. No damage or cutting will occur. This is a two minute fix. If it takes longer, check on what you are doing because you may be doing something wrong.

Senior Member Adjusting the parking brake
    Adjusting the parking brake

Bike: 2016 NC700X DCT ABS
    I stopped on a hill yesterday and needed both my feet to balance the bike and my hands to fiddle with something on my phone.

I applied the parking brake and the bike started rolling.

This is probably because every once in awhile I ride it a dozen feet with the parking brake on and have worn the pads a bit. Oops.

You'll need an 8mm and I think a 10 (or 12mm) wrench to adjust the cable at the grip. Same as throttle. A few twists and you'll be good. Mine was fine and I inspected the brake at the rear for damage and it was fine too.

Bike: 2014 NC700XD
    You do not need to remove the exhaust to adjust the parking brake at the brake. Make sure the adjuster at the handle bar is adjusted all the way in. You need a 12mm deep socket, undo the lock nut, turn in the adjustment rod until it stops (that means the pads are on the disc) and the turn it out 1/4 turn. Tighten the lock nut 17NM and you are done. It really is a three minute job.