Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which type of Master Link is this? I'm just learning about the new Rivet typs

Bike: NC700X

Which type of Master Link is this? I'm just learning about the new Rivet typs

Which type of Master Link is this? I'm just learning about the new Rivet types

Which type of Master Link is this?  I'm just learning about the new Rivet typs-01b_-jpgWhich type of Master Link is this?  I'm just learning about the new Rivet typs-02b_-jpg

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    That master link uses a clip.

Bike: NC700XA-C
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias View Post
    That master link uses a clip.
    Slightly worried that there isn't a clip on it :-S

Sent from my Mi A2 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator Which type of Master Link is this?  I'm just learning about the new Rivet typs 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    That there looks like a clip type link that is missing the clip. Soon the whole chain will be missing.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: NC700X
    Thanks everyone. That's how I got the bike from the previous owner. I'll order a master link and put a clip on it. The chain is almost ready to replace.

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing. 2015 Airbag Goldwing, some kid
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Thanks everyone. That's how I got the bike from the previous owner. I'll order a master link and put a clip on it. The chain is almost ready to replace.
    I always put on a staked or peened master link. Permanent and the clip is no longer a worry.
    My preference. I know people are running clips on a 700 but it is not OEM that way.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Quote Originally Posted by 1wiseguy2 View Post
    I always put on a staked or peened master link. Permanent and the clip is no longer a worry.
    My preference. I know people are running clips on a 700 but it is not OEM that way.

The only wild card in staked or peened master link ......is........it has to be done correctly. While itís not incredibly difficult with the proper tool and skills .........it can be done wrong.

Super Moderator Which type of Master Link is this?  I'm just learning about the new Rivet typs 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Here's something I learned when a friend's master link clip went AWOL and the chain was flung off his Versys-X as he was riding ahead of me: For a given chain size among different chain brands, the master links are not exactly alike. One brand's master link may or may not fit on another brand's chain. Buy/carry a link of the same brand (and size, of course) as the chain.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing. 2015 Airbag Goldwing, some kid
    Quote Originally Posted by showkey View Post
    The only wild card in staked or peened master link ......is........it has to be done correctly. While itís not incredibly difficult with the proper tool and skills .........it can be done wrong.
    Yes, but with the right tool (which I have) it is incredibly easy. I had my 11 yr old do it with me while I was coaching him. RK brand can be had for $90 on the net. Chain and sprockets for around that.
    Having a honda shop put on a stock chain and sprockets will cost you that much. Plenty of tutorials on doing it on YouTube. Having a dial or digital caliper is important to have.

Senior Member Which type of Master Link is this?  I'm just learning about the new Rivet typs dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I have the tool and the skills to stake the master link pins and still prefer the clip type. While it doesn't take long to break and stake a chain it's just easier to pop the clip off and back on. Just my opinion.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD