Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I think my NC700X is dying - major loss of power

Bike: NC700X 2012

I think my NC700X is dying - major loss of power

Hello All
    I have a 2012 NC700X that I use everyday (except extreme weathers). I have looked after it as best as I can. I try to resolve all issues as they arise but this week I have encountered a problem that I cannot solve.
    I was taking my regular commute to work (about 13 miles) when I there was a drop off in speed and power. I was travelling at about 60mph and the bike slowly dropped off to 50mph. I pulled over and looked for anything obvious. Nothing jumped out as obvious. So I attempted to set off on my way.
    Unfortunately, when setting off the bike had lost a lot more power now and struggled getting above 30mph.
    The bike seemed to lose all torque.
    I had to get recovered and my bike has been in my garage since.
    I have been trying to investigate various things. I have checked and replaced the spark plugs but no change. I even went back to the old plugs and it is still the same. I have checked the battery and it is great (not very old). I have stripped all the plastics off to get to and test the ignition coils. The resistances I am getting on the primary and secondary side of each are identical.
    I have spark test device and when I plug that into the spark plug lead and fire it up I have a strong/long spark across it.
    When I start the bike it starts fine. Before it starts I hear the fuel pump prime. It appears to rev fine and steady. I put it into first and it still sounds fine. When I attempt to pull off the bike makes all the right noises but pulls off at a snails pace with no torque. It won't even ride up my very shallow ramp into my garage.
    I don't want to just throw money at it, mainly because I cannot afford to do that.
    I am swaying towards a fuelling issue. Something like a fuel pump/filter or injectors. I am not getting any fault indications on the dash/clocks though.
    I wanted to ask you lovely people on here if anyone has experienced a similar issue and if so, how they rectified it.
    Thank you in advance.

Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT
    I'm just a duffer but that sounds like a clutch problem.

Thank you for that super fast reply.
    I had not considered the clutch at all.
    When I release the clutch lever the response is there so I didn't consider that.
    I will look into that next though.
    Thanks again.

Super Moderator I think my NC700X is dying - major loss of power 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    We have seen a few NCs have fuel pumps go bad, but the symptoms are intermittent sputtering and loss of power, or a no start condition.

I agree with others that that a worn clutch is a possibility. First make sure the clutch cable is adjusted properly. One way to verify a worn clutch is to ride in a high gear with a load, like up a hill. Gradually increase throttle and watch the tachometer. If the engine RPM increases on the tach, but the ground speed does not, the clutch is slipping.

If you are trying to go up your driveway and experience a loss of power, does the RPM increase like the clutch is slipping? Or does the RPM remain steady and the engine just has little power?
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Thank you 670cc
    The clutch seems responsive.
    I would try riding up a hill in a high gear but the bike has so little power that it struggles to ride into double figures on the flat.
    When I try pulling into my garage I give it some throttle, like I normally would, the revs seem normal on the dash. However, the bike doesn't respond as it should even if I do give it a handful.

Junior Member I think my NC700X is dying - major loss of power Dan1955's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC750X ABS
    Fuel delivery; clogged filter bad fuel pump? Did you ride recently with an almost empty tank where dirt in the gas tank could clog the filter?

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Have you done any work on your NC recently? Have you run out of gas?

Bike: NC750S
    My bet is on a blocked fuel filter, or filters.

Fuel pumps tend to have two filters, a coarse intake filter to keep bigger debris out of the pump pickup and a fine filter to stop less dirty outlet fuel being delivered to the fuel injectors. The coarse filter is obvious but the fine one is often built into the outlet side of the pump.

Workshops will often suggest replacing the whole pump assembly but usually just the filter parts can be replaced. The labour cost of dismantling a pump may be more that the cost of a new pump.
    Graham
    2014 NC750 SD
    2007 Buell XB12Ss

Senior Member I think my NC700X is dying - major loss of power
    Bike: 2013 NC700S
    I was thinking clutch as well if there is no issue with revving the bike.

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    If trying to go up your shallow ramp in whatever gear, and you twist the throttle and it barely goes, and the engine rpms climb and sounds like it should be going but it's not, then it would be a clutch problem. But the OP's description doesn't sound like a clutch problem. Sounds like a fuel or air restriction to me. Sounds like engine rpm's are not climbing when it begins to lack power. Sounds like he's describing the engine is not making power like it should be.

How many miles on the bike? Have you checked the air filter and air box area? It may be necessary to put a new fuel filter on it and see if that fixes it. And even if it doesn't, it's good that you have a new fuel filter regardless, and they shouldn't be terribly expensive. Also could be fuel pump. 3 things an engine needs to make power, fuel, air, and ignition. Sounds like you've already got the ignition sorted, now go over the air and fuel system.