Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2014 ABS Caliper Rebuild

Bike: 2014 NC700X DCT ABS

2014 ABS Caliper Rebuild

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking into doing a full brake job for my 2014 NC700X ABS. I have the pads on the way but I also want to do a caliper rebuild. Problem is I'm having a difficult time trying to find a rebuild kit for these things. I found one for the 2014 - 2016 CTX700 and the Master Cylinder rebuild kit for my year but no caliper kit specifically for the 2014 NC700X ABS. Anyone know if the CTX700 one will work for me, and/or if there is a caliper rebuild kit for my year?
    I have about 32k miles on it. I read in someone else's post about their 2015 that 24k miles wasn't much to worry about a caliper rebuild but I'm a little particular and want to make sure everything is clean and new, and I want to deep clean the calipers.

Thanks.

Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT

2014 ABS Caliper Rebuild

When I changed the brakes on my 2015 I was looking to replace all the “bits” while I was in there (you may be referring to the thread on that). I couldn’t find anything other than the Babbitt’s parts diagram, which didn’t really help figuring what “should” be replaced, so I just replaced pads.

What I found was that at 24k miles nothing was needed other than cleaning. I sprayed brake cleaner around the pistons and springs, wiped it down and it shined like new. The old retaining springs were still in great shape and cleaned up very well.

I put some brake grease on the pistons, installed the new pads, easy peasy. Runs great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike: 2014 NC700X DCT ABS
    Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    When I changed the brakes on my 2015 I was looking to replace all the “bits” while I was in there (you may be referring to the thread on that). I couldn’t find anything other than the Babbitt’s parts diagram, which didn’t really help figuring what “should” be replaced, so I just replaced pads...
    Yours was the thread I was referring to. I think I learned from that one that the 2013 - 2015 models are pretty much the same.

Yeah I figured as much about the mileage. I had over 50k miles on my old GSXR and never had to do a caliper rebuild. But back then I was also not as intuitive about my maintenance.
    One of my riding groups just had a discussion about brake maintenance with some very detailed maintenance procedures. One of the riders said he was having vibration and one of the older gents gave us a nice list of things we can do to freshen up the brakes without a full on replacement so I'll probably run down the list if I can't find a rebuild kit. He detailed ways to maintain the floating discs and free them from any grime and dirt that would cause them to not float as they should, and deep clean the calipers to get the best performance out of them.
    It's just that lately I feel like I've been demanding more and more from the brakes on my NC700 than I have in the past for the same riding style. I'm still trying to figure out if it's because the brake maintenance is due or if it's because I'm getting used to dual 6-piston caliper stopping power.

Also, anyone know if there are any steel braided lines for our ABS models? Everything I find online says it's not compatible with the ABS...can't figure out why since it's just a line that provides brake fluid...

Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    The 2014 has 3 pistons per caliper? I thought that was only for the combined brakes - which I thought 2014-15 did not have (mine doesn’t).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike: NC700/RSVRV2/900SS/VFR750F2
    Floating disc on the NC? 6 piston caliper? Dual calipers?
    A bit confused here.

Senior Member 2014 ABS Caliper Rebuild davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Southern Indiana/Central Florida-part time snow bird..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]