Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealer and Oil Pan Plug [emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959]

Senior Member Dealer and Oil Pan Plug [emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959] GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT

Dealer and Oil Pan Plug Dealer and Oil Pan Plug [emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959]Dealer and Oil Pan Plug [emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959]Dealer and Oil Pan Plug [emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959]

I let the dealer do the last oil change since it was in for itís 16,000 and would be the last major service while still under the extended warranty.

Went to change the oil today and the damned plug was way over torqued, and I ended up stripping it Dealer and Oil Pan Plug [emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959]. Tried every tool I have - itís rounded off now so canít do anything else until the new bolt gets here. Then the easy out and heat gun will go to work.

As much as too tight oil filters and drain plugs get talked about Iím amazed dealers donít back off on the pneumatic drivers.

Dealer wonít be seeing this bike again unless something very bad happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Dealer and Oil Pan Plug [emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959]
    Dealer and Oil Pan Plug [emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959]
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    I let the dealer do the last oil change since it was in for it’s 16,000 and would be the last major service while still under the extended warranty.

Went to change the oil today and the damned plug was way over torqued, and I ended up stripping it Dealer and Oil Pan Plug [emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959]. Tried every tool I have - it’s rounded off now so can’t do anything else until the new bolt gets here. Then the easy out and heat gun will go to work.

As much as too tight oil filters and drain plugs get talked about I’m amazed dealers don’t back off on the pneumatic drivers.

Dealer won’t be seeing this bike again unless something very bad happens.

Doesn’t sound like he used a crush washer at all. Hope the threads stay in place when you finally back it out. The thought of some knucklehead at a dealer working on my bike gives me the willies.

Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    I let the dealer do the last oil change since it was in for itís 16,000 and would be the last major service while still under the extended warranty.

Went to change the oil today and the damned plug was way over torqued, and I ended up stripping it Dealer and Oil Pan Plug [emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959]. Tried every tool I have - itís rounded off now so canít do anything else until the new bolt gets here. Then the easy out and heat gun will go to work.

As much as too tight oil filters and drain plugs get talked about Iím amazed dealers donít back off on the pneumatic drivers.

Dealer wonít be seeing this bike again unless something very bad happens.

DON'T USE AN EASY OUT!
    Go to a Harbor Freight near you for an inexpensive solution. Buy a set of these. Metric not standard as they have both.
    Sure there are name brand sets and the ones that are more fluted look like they would do a better job. These work too. I once had a bolt head rusted down on my 1999 suburban it wasn't a metric or a standard size. I got whatever size fit the best and pounded it on the hub bolt and finally got it off with a special impact tool that connects to the socket that snap on makes. If you drill and break the easy out( what a misnomer) then you have bigger problems. I think a set is less then $24 or right around there.if a size doesn't fit fairly tight then I have as stated taken the next smaller size and beat it on. They work. If they get worn as they are cheaply then take that set back and get a new set for free. Lifetime warranty and they mean it.
    Good luck... and before I touched it more I would ride it in to the dealer or send them some photos and let them know. Most Hondas are around 22# and a torque wrench should be used.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Dealer and Oil Pan Plug [emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959] GregC's Avatar
    The plug is now stripped round - not sure those would work because thereís virtually no edges for those grab onto.

The plug is now stripped round - not sure those would work because thereís virtually no edges for those grab onto.

They will. As they turn they dig into the bolt head. Might have to smack one on. My bolt was totally rusted and round. I bought the metric and standard to have more choices. They have helped me out of a couple of jams now.

Bike: 2014 Honda NC700XE
    I've had some luck using a pipe wrench on stripped bolt heads. Sometimes it grabs & turns, other times it just slips.

Bike: X-Adventure, Suzuki VStrom 1000ABS, 1989 Honda Dominator, CRF250L
    A vise grip can sometimes work if applied tightly enough ?
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

The tough part of the NC700x oil pan is the way the plug is located - the location makes getting vice grips, pipe wrench and other tools on there very difficult or unworkable.

Gonna try the heat gun and some needle nosed vice grips when the new plug arrives. Otherwise itís easy-outs or WiseGuyís extractors.

The tough part of the NC700x oil pan is the way the plug is located - the location makes getting vice grips, pipe wrench and other tools on there very difficult or unworkable.

Gonna try the heat gun and some needle nosed vice grips when the new plug arrives. Otherwise itís easy-outs or WiseGuyís extractors.

Once I had to get a bolt out that had been corroded by saltwater. Filed it flat on two sides then got after it with a large pair of vise grips... that was before I knew about the extractors

Super Moderator Dealer and Oil Pan Plug [emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959] 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    I have a curiosity question. Step one was the dealer over tightening the bolt. Step two was you trying to remove the bolt. Again, out of curiosity, did you use a 12 point socket or box wrench , six point socket or box wrench, or an open end wrench? The bolt would seem to be amazingly tight if you could round it off with a six point socket. I stopped using 12 points long ago. Again, this is the dealer’s fault, but I wondered how it so easily it rounded off.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250