Thread: 2015 DCT Brake Replacement

Senior Member 2015 DCT Brake Replacement GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT

2015 DCT Brake Replacement

Iím going to be replacing front and rear brakes on my 2015 DCT. My question is what miscellaneous parts should I replace, rather than reuse, while Iím at it (pins, springs, bolts, etc. )? Iíve looked at the Babbittís part list but itís so detailed itís not terribly instructive

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    I’m going to be replacing front and rear brakes on my 2015 DCT. My question is what miscellaneous parts should I replace, rather than reuse, while I’m at it (pins, springs, bolts, etc. )? I’ve looked at the Babbitt’s part list but it’s so detailed it’s not terribly instructive

Thanks.

How many miles on it? Unless you have a ton of miles on it, I wouldn't worry about replacing anything but pads and fluid.

Senior Member 2015 DCT Brake Replacement GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    Only about 24k - I usually try to have new versions of the various ďbitsĒ when doing work like this (a) in case something bends or breaks, (b) gets dropped into the wormhole that must exist in my garage where many dropped nuts, bolts, washers, clips and springs disappear, and (c) on the theory that why not replace small inexpensive items like this while things are apart.

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    Only about 24k - I usually try to have new versions of the various ďbitsĒ when doing work like this (a) in case something bends or breaks, (b) gets dropped into the wormhole that must exist in my garage where many dropped nuts, bolts, washers, clips and springs disappear, and (c) on the theory that why not replace small inexpensive items like this while things are apart.

I think it would be pointless to replace anything in either caliper besides the pads. If something fails in it over a LONG length of time, it would probably just end up with a piston sticking, in which case it'd make sense to toss that caliper and install an oem replacement, or upgrade if you like. 24k miles is nothing on bike calipers. Changing pads is pretty straight forward and either caliper can be removed in 2 minutes or less. It'd be different if you were doing something very difficult and time consuming like tearing engine or transmission down, in which case it would make sense to consider revamping any internals that are cheap to replace and that would otherwise be difficult and time consuming to access without it already being torn down for some other reason.

But if you like working on things just for the sake of tinkering, do a rebuild. When is the last time you changed out brake fluid front and rear? If it's been a while, time would be better spent doing that vs. rebuilding calipers. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TacomaJD; 13th August 2019 at 06:40.

Senior Member 2015 DCT Brake Replacement
    Bike: SV,NC,berg 570s
    On some calipers, there are other things that wear. I have a Beringer 4pot supermoto caliper with a wallowed out pad retainer pin hole. I think it needs a rebuild too. Then again, it's $150 in parts for the rebuild, and a few bucks/some of my time putting a bronze bushing in the wallowed out hole, vs $600 for a new caliper.

I doubt there are issues like that on a factory caliper though.
    12 NC700X
    11 FE570
    11 FS570
    15 450/520XCF SM

Bike: 2019 nc750x. DCT
    After having just replaced my front pads - watch out for the 2 SS spring clips that secure to the inside of the caliper.
    Also the inboard pad had a stainless backing pad, and what I take to be an insulating pad between the SS backer and the brake pad I re-used.
    And of course there is the retaining pin.
    I cleaned those parts back up and used a very light film of brake specific grease on em during reassembly.

If its been a while you may need to remove light corrosion on the retaining pin, or replace it.

Another thing to have on hand is some locktite for the caliper bolts and retaining pin threads.

Do yourself a favor and remove the caliper to work on it. I thought I could do a smooth-operator job and swap the pads on the bike. Once I spent 5-10 min dicking around with no success re-installing em I removed the caliper and had it reworked in a couple min.

5mm hex for retaining pin, 12mm socket for caliper bolts
    Last edited by NCX19; 13th August 2019 at 20:04.