Thanks Thanks:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: What does a 68 000km old Airfilter look like?

  1. #1
    Junior Member Erabe's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    3

    What does a 68 000km old Airfilter look like?

    Hi guys, my first post here, took delivery of a 2012 700X on Monday, so haven't REALLY gotten to do much with work in the way, but I did get a service kit, and I've done oil and filters, valves and rad flush/fill so far. Just wanted to show you guys what an airfilter looks like that has 7 years and 68000 km on it. I've never seen one this bad. Strangely enough, and kudos to the Honda motor, the brand new one made NO difference in how the bike runs.

    What does a 68 000km old Airfilter look like?-20190730_185052-jpg

    What does a 68 000km old Airfilter look like?-20190730_185057-jpg

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jt105's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    410
    I think they waited a little long on that filter!
    This motor is amazing. The fuel injection is very adaptable as your experience shows.

    JT

  3. #3
    Super Moderator What does a 68 000km old Airfilter look like? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,919
    There is little doubt that filter is past due for replacement. But here is my skeptical thought. It looks very dirty, but how can we really know how much air it will flow? Like engine oil, perhaps we can’t totally know the condition of the filter just by looking at it. Also, maximum air flow through the filter is only called for at wide open throttle and higher RPM. With the bike ridden gently, the demand for air flow is low, and maybe that’s why you noticed no difference when a new filter was installed.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

    NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

  4. #4
    Junior Member Erabe's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    There is little doubt that filter is past due for replacement. But here is my skeptical thought. It looks very dirty, but how can we really know how much air it will flow? Like engine oil, perhaps we can’t totally know the condition of the filter just by looking at it. Also, maximum air flow through the filter is only called for at wide open throttle and higher RPM. With the bike ridden gently, the demand for air flow is low, and maybe that’s why you noticed no difference when a new filter was installed.
    That's a good point, tho even "revving" an NC it's still not really moving a ton of air. Also being a brand new bike to me, I guess I wouldn't really pick up on a slight difference. I only rode it once for about 30 minutes before doing the replacement. There WAS a layer of caked on sticky filth on most of it probably as thick as a t-shirt, it scratched off in sheets, so I do think THAT might have reduced airflow a lot. Either way, brand new hi-flow is in, bike is happy.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,597
    That’s just nasty!

  6. #6
    Senior Member Rapturee's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Post Falls IDAHO
    Posts
    1,193
    ...WoW, glad you thought to check the air filter! welcome to the Ride Erabe and a hearty welcome from northern IDAHO USA!! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

  7. #7
    Senior Member What does a 68 000km old Airfilter look like? New Commuter700's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    Posts
    151
    It's also been noted that the NC air filter is huge when compared to other bikes. In fact I think that it is similar in size to the filter in my wife's 6 cylinder Toyota. That size means that we don't usually have to worry about choking the motor out when they get a little dirty.


    https://tinkergr.wixsite.com/website

  8. #8
    Senior Member What does a 68 000km old Airfilter look like? Ruggybuggy's Avatar
    Bike: Honda NC750X Kawasaki KLX351
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Kenora, NW ONT, CANADA
    Posts
    962
    I've got about 40,000 kilometers on mine and when I checked it I returned it back to service. Very clean with just a bit of dust which I blew out.

    “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”


    ― Mark Twain

  9. #9
    Senior Member Jt105's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    410
    Checked mine at 2000 miles and it was caked with cottonwood tree seeds and cotton fluff. Michigan is like a blizzard with this stuff in the spring.
    Vacuumed it off and put it back in.
    It all depends on your local environment.

    JT

  10. #10
    Junior Member Erabe's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapturee View Post
    ...WoW, glad you thought to check the air filter! welcome to the Ride Erabe and a hearty welcome from northern IDAHO USA!! :{)
    Thanks for the welcome Rapturee!

    Quote Originally Posted by New Commuter700 View Post
    It's also been noted that the NC air filter is huge when compared to other bikes. In fact I think that it is similar in size to the filter in my wife's 6 cylinder Toyota. That size means that we don't usually have to worry about choking the motor out when they get a little dirty.
    Haha yes! It is actually larger than the filter on my wife's car too. Almost as big as the one in my Z4 and that's a 2.5... Good point!

Similar Threads

  1. A vid on a 63,000km NC700x
    By wozza in forum NC700 Videos
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 13th June 2013, 07:35

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •