Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 66

Thread: Chain Oilers ... Are they really useful?

  1. #21
    Senior Member Fuzzy's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, Versys X-300
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    South Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee
    Posts
    4,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    That notion also falls flat on its face in my climate as does the notion that oring chains need very little lube. Folks tend to forget that there is no lube sealed inside the rollers of the chain. Sure the pins have lube sealed inside the sleeves in which they operate, but the rollers are totally reliant on external lubrication. Leave them unlubed and they wear prematurely, further causing friction especially as the chain rolls over the driving sprocket.
    What he said!!!

    I have Tutoros on my bikes.
    Apply dog logic to life:
    "Eat Well, Be Loved, Get Petted, Sleep A Lot, and Dream Of A Leash Free World."

    ATG ATT

  2. #22
    Senior Member melensdad's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Chicagoland (NW Indiana) USA
    Posts
    531
    So after all of this and all the recommendations I am still reasonably undecided.

    However.

    The Tutoro looks good. The oil reservoir seems a bit small. Tutoro says its good for 600 to 1000 miles before a refill.

    I still like the Loobman. Manual system. But I prefer the Cobrra/Gidibi manual system over the Loobman.

    So I guess it come down to the completely manual Cobrra/Gidibi ($60) -vs- automatic Tutoro ($115)

    Both follow the K.I.S.S. rule of reliable lo-tech mechanical engineering. Neither requires connection to the electronics system of the bike, which I believe makes sense. Neither uses vacuum pressure or air pressure (I don't trust either).

  3. #23
    Senior Member rippin209's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,496
    Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    So after all of this and all the recommendations I am still reasonably undecided.

    However.

    The Tutoro looks good. The oil reservoir seems a bit small. Tutoro says its good for 600 to 1000 miles before a refill.

    I still like the Loobman. Manual system. But I prefer the Cobrra/Gidibi manual system over the Loobman.

    So I guess it come down to the completely manual Cobrra/Gidibi ($60) -vs- automatic Tutoro ($115)

    Both follow the K.I.S.S. rule of reliable lo-tech mechanical engineering. Neither requires connection to the electronics system of the bike, which I believe makes sense. Neither uses vacuum pressure or air pressure (I don't trust either).
    The Tutoro reservoir is good for 1,000 miles with a generous amount of oil, if you have it adjusted properly it should last longer 1,200-1,500
    I bought the oil they sale for it as well (minor improvement over using my used oil from my NC) and each bottle (I believe it was 1 liter) lasted me 25,000 to 30,000 miles

  4. #24
    Senior Member Chain Oilers ...  Are they really useful?
    Bike: 2013 NC700S
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Surrey, BC (Canada)
    Posts
    1,018
    When using the auto oilers are there any droplets under the bike when it sits?

  5. #25
    Senior Member rippin209's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,496
    Quote Originally Posted by potter0o View Post
    When using the auto oilers are there any droplets under the bike when it sits?
    The only time time that happened with the Tutoro I had the oil drip rate turned up around 3X what it was supposed to be at.
    When it's adjusted properly it doesn't drip at all when parked

  6. #26
    Senior Member netizen's Avatar
    Bike: Honda VFR 750, NC700X
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Posts
    1,468
    I've been interested in the wind powered chain oilers. I currently have been using the loobman and it works fine as long as I remember to use it.

    Anybody have any experience with the wind powered oilers?
    on NC700x, also have a VFR 750

  7. #27
    Senior Member melensdad's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Chicagoland (NW Indiana) USA
    Posts
    531
    Quote Originally Posted by netizen View Post
    I've been interested in the wind powered chain oilers...
    My biggest concern with those is dust, dirt and road grime clogging the intake tube.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Arizona, USA
    Posts
    1,611
    Quote Originally Posted by netizen View Post
    I've been interested in the wind powered chain oilers. I currently have been using the loobman and it works fine as long as I remember to use it.

    Anybody have any experience with the wind powered oilers?
    Yes. Iíve had a Motobriiz on my NCX for some years. Thereís never, ever a drip, the bike isnít covered in flung oil, but the chain is always oiled. If you want more or less oil on the chain, you choose a lower or higher viscosity oil. I have no idea where the speculation about clogging the air intake tube comes from. It simply doesnít happen, and even if it did (maybe you impale a grasshopper or something?), youíll see it if you just look. Nothing builds up inside the tube, and there again you could quickly and easily flush it out if you wanted to.

  9. #29
    Senior Member melensdad's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Chicagoland (NW Indiana) USA
    Posts
    531
    At this point I'm undecided but leaning toward the TUTORO

    I like the simple mechanics of the TUTORO, no electronics, no vacuum, no wind, etc. It uses a simple weight and is actuated by the vibration of the roadway. Simple enough. It is automatic, stops when the bike stops, starts when the bike is ridden. I like that.

    My second choice would be a fully manual system. I still like the Cobrra type and the updated Loobman. If you remember to use them they are foolproof.

  10. #30
    Senior Member rippin209's Avatar
    Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    US
    Posts
    1,496
    Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    At this point I'm undecided but leaning toward the TUTORO

    I like the simple mechanics of the TUTORO, no electronics, no vacuum, no wind, etc. It uses a simple weight and is actuated by the vibration of the roadway. Simple enough. It is automatic, stops when the bike stops, starts when the bike is ridden. I like that.

    My second choice would be a fully manual system. I still like the Cobrra type and the updated Loobman. If you remember to use them they are foolproof.
    That's the conclusion I came to as well

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 27
    Last Post: 1st August 2019, 23:26
  2. Chain cover- no, not THAT chain
    By SilverRocket in forum NC700 General Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 9th January 2018, 01:44
  3. Nemo and Osco chain oilers
    By greenboy in forum Garage / Mechanical Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12th July 2017, 05:52
  4. Chain oiler users: Do you still run o-ring chain?
    By MZ5 in forum NC700 General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 6th August 2014, 14:16
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16th June 2014, 14:54

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •