Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chain Oilers ... Are they really useful?

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    The Motobriiz oiler is by far the best trade-off of cost, complexity, and the appropriate quantity of oil delivered to the chain. If you want an auto-oiler, it’s worth serious consideration.

Some think that chain lube is only needed as a rust preventative when or if the chain gets wet. If that has worked for any particular rider and climate, I say keep with it! The notion falls flat on its face in my climate (environment?), and has done so many, many times.

There is no one procedure that is somehow magic for everyone everywhere. The factory-recommended procedure for chain maintenance works at least as well as everything else across a broad range of environments.

Bike: X-Adventure, Suzuki VStrom 1000ABS, 1989 Honda Dominator, CRF250L
    Quote Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
    Some think that chain lube is only needed as a rust preventative when or if the chain gets wet. If that has worked for any particular rider and climate, I say keep with it! The notion falls flat on its face in my climate (environment?), and has done so many, many times.
    That notion also falls flat on its face in my climate as does the notion that oring chains need very little lube. Folks tend to forget that there is no lube sealed inside the rollers of the chain. Sure the pins have lube sealed inside the sleeves in which they operate, but the rollers are totally reliant on external lubrication. Leave them unlubed and they wear prematurely, further causing friction especially as the chain rolls over the driving sprocket.
    Last edited by Griff; 13th June 2019 at 14:47.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Senior Member Chain Oilers ...  Are they really useful?
    Bike: SV,WR,YZ,NC
    Quote Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
    The Motobriiz oiler is by far the best trade-off of cost, complexity, and the appropriate quantity of oil delivered to the chain. If you want an auto-oiler, it’s worth serious consideration.

There is no one procedure that is somehow magic for everyone everywhere. The factory-recommended procedure for chain maintenance works at least as well as everything else across a broad range of environments.
    I was tempted, but it looks like it has some rather quick wear items and uses a LOT of lube. Refill every 1000mi, new pad every 5000mi.
    12 NC700X
    14 WR450F SM
    15 450/520XCF SM

Bike: 2016 NC700x DCT + 2018 NC750x DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    I was tempted, but it looks like it has some rather quick wear items and uses a LOT of lube. Refill every 1000mi, new pad every 5000mi.
    I'm not thinking it is a great design. Relies on intake wind pressure. But I don't see any sort of dirt filter on the intake port. Those of us who live in areas where we have a mixture of asphalt, gravel, and chip & seal roadways might find ourselves cleaning out that intake tube?

From the Keep It Simple Stupid standpoint, I am still drawn to the utter simplicity of the 2 that were included in my original post.

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by showkey View Post
    More is not always better.
    Sealed oring chain needs very little oil. Just enough to keep the rust away in wet conditions.
    The concept of the oring chain is sealing the chain joint. Keeping the factory grease in and the water and dirt out.
    Excessive oil attracts dirt and grit..............that makes a perfect grinding paste.

The chain thing is like the oil change thread.
    From day one ( 2012) this forum had a few members that got on the is early and often chain and sprocket replacement routine. It spread like wild fire. The NC might have attracted new riders that had also over maintained the chain with excessive cleaning ( failed oring) and running the chain way too tight. Any decent quality NC chain should be able to achieve at least 30k with normal chain maintenance and oiling. The back of the NC does not need to look like a super fund oil spill.
    This is my perspective as well. I have had good luck with lubing chain once every month or two and do it when I have been out riding and just get home. The chain and sprockets are warmer from riding, lube the chain and let it cool off and sit overnight, has seemed to greatly decrease sling-off.

I look at it this way. You can have an oiler and waste time cleaning the sling-off all the time, or you can lube the chain once every now and then, which 100% is not difficult and with a center stand takes all of 30 seconds or less, and not have to clean it near as often. Spend time lubing or spend time cleaning, I dang sure hate cleaning much more than I do lubing. Only other alternative is just letting it go and not cleaning, which is personally unacceptable for me to do, so that option is out. Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post
    I look at it this way. You can have an oiler and waste time cleaning ...
    What is this "cleaning" to which you refer?

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    What is this "cleaning" to which you refer?
    I've gotta find out and do some for myself soon, both my bikes need it.

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    TMW Product Review: Cameleon Plus Electronic Chain Oiler Review • Total Motorcycle

Cameleon Plus Chain Oiler Review - webBikeWorld

Yes, I use their oil. On 2 bikes and in two years haven't used half a quart. Once installed I forget about it and finally after 7,000 miles refilled one but it wasn't empty yet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Same reviewer also reviewed and very much likes the Cobrra manual system, which is a clone to one of the 2 I linked in my original post.

Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    Quote Originally Posted by melensdad View Post
    Same reviewer also reviewed and very much likes the Cobrra manual system, which is a clone to one of the 2 I linked in my original post.
    Nice to have choices... toughest part is sometimes the choosing. I have 2 pluses and couldn't be happier. Put them on and then forget about them. Glance once in a while to see if the small area of tube that I can see is gotten a level. If so I fill it. Only had to do that once after a whole summer of riding. Including a 7000 mile trip.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk