Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Tire buying assistance for a motorcycle noob...please?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5

    Tire buying assistance for a motorcycle noob...please?

    Hello,
    I am the proud owner of a 2012 NC700X I bought last Friday (6/7/2019), and then layed it down in my driveway Sunday morning trying to move it around my garage. The bike has 28,000 miles, and besides some general maintenance that needs to be done seems to be in pretty good shape. I was told when I bought it that it needs a new front tire, and so far I have heard great things about the Shinko 705 tires. From my understanding they do not make the stock size for the rear, but do for the front. I would like to get the closest to stock, and am looking for the best bang for my buck since I don't know how much I'll ride the motorcycle yet. I plan on ordering them from Bikebandit, unless someone suggest other wise, and have my local Honda shop install. Is there any reason I should get the 170 rear instead of the 150? I am completely new to the motorcycle world and appreciate any help or suggestions. This is the contents of my cart below;

    Shinko 705 Motorcycle Tire
    Front, 120/70-17, Radial, 17, Tubeless, 58, H, 4-Ply
    Part Number: 4121188


    Shinko 705 Motorcycle Tire
    Rear, 150/70-17, Radial, 17, Tubeless, 69, H, 4-Ply
    Part Number: 2773309

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jt105's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    396
    Most people buy the 150 rear. Some have used the 170 because they found it less expensive.

    I purchased the 150 (based on favorable reviews on this forum), but havenít installed it yet so no experience with it yet.

    JT

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Rockford, Illinois
    Posts
    433
    So I have to ask since you are new. Why the shinko's? They are for those who are likely to go in a little dirt or on dirt roads or gravel roads. Do you plan on doing any of that? If not I would start out with a good pair of straight street tires. Many can tell you what they prefer. I personally like the Michelin Pilot Road 4's (PR4) due to the wet weather performance.
    I would also shop at Americanmototire.com if I was going to mail order them.
    As you are new to motorcycling it is good to facilitate a good relationship with your dealer. Many dealers will charge big bucks for their tires but if you don't buy their tire they will charge a $25(?) upcharge for mounting your tire besides the fee for labor. They're trying to stay in business too and pay the mechanic, property taxes, utilities and fees. I have one dealer who was $6 cheaper than the mail order price but then I had to pay taxes. So some will be competitive. I mount my own tires now so I do mail order. Go in and talk to your dealer and see about his price or if there is an upcharge. If there is or isn't see if he will match or come close to your mail order price.

    And welcome to the forum! I am in the State next door.
    Guy


    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 1wiseguy2; 12th June 2019 at 14:18.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jt105 View Post
    Most people buy the 150 rear. Some have used the 170 because they found it less expensive.

    I purchased the 150 (based on favorable reviews on this forum), but havenít installed it yet so no experience with it yet.

    JT
    Thank you for the response. I'm leaning towards the 150 as well. I guess I didn't notice a price difference, but I wasn't paying that close of attention.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    412
    Quote Originally Posted by gibsonbass76 View Post
    Thank you for the response. I'm leaning towards the 150 as well. I guess I didn't notice a price difference, but I wasn't paying that close of attention.
    In order to receive proper advice, we must know what type of riding you are planning on doing. As previously stated the Shinkos are more offroad oriented than say the Pilot Road series of tires.

    Also, it is often difficult to beat Dennis Kirk's online prices, that's where my last couple sets have came from. Definitely check there before buying from Bikebandit.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by 1wiseguy2 View Post
    So I have to ask since you are new. Why the shinko's? They are for those who are likely to go in a little dirt or on dirt roads or gravel roads. Do you plan on doing any of that? If not I would start out with a good pair of straight street tires. Many can tell you what they prefer. I personally like the Michelin Pilot Road 4's (PR4) due to the wet weather performance.
    I would also shop at Americanmototire.com if I was going to mail order them.
    As you are new to motorcycling it is good to facilitate a good relationship with your dealer. Many dealers will charge big bucks for their tires but if you don't buy their tire they will charge a $25(?) upcharge for mounting your tire besides the fee for labor. They're trying to stay in business too and pay the mechanic, property taxes, utilities and fees. I have one dealer who was $6 cheaper than the mail order price but then I had to pay taxes. So some will be competitive. I mount my own tires now so I do mail order. Go in and talk to your dealer and see about his price or if there is an upcharge. If there is or isn't see if he will match or come close to your mail order price.

    And welcome to the forum! I am in the State next door.
    Guy


    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Thank you for the welcome! I live in rural Iowa and grew up roaming the gravel roads for fun. I am still getting used to the weight of the bike (I have mainly had scooters in the past), and would like the added confidence of a tire better suited for that. As far as the Shinko's, its more about getting the best bang for my buck.

    I have a pretty good relationship with my local dealership from buying scooters and shooting the breeze with the staff. Last time I asked they said they charged $50 per tire for installation. I typically try to support our local brick and mortar business's, but our Honda shop doesn't have the greatest reputation. I will ask them again before I order them, and see if they sell Shinko's.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    5
    I have a ton of gravel around me, and in my younger days would spend hours with friends getting lost on back roads. Being a youth in Iowa you had to make fun. The 705's are listed as 80/20 for road/off-road. That sounds about where I would like to be. The bike is a commuter/fun for me. I'm not worried about wet performance because I wont currently ride in the rain, maybe some day with the right gear.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Bike: 2001 CBR 1100XX Super Blackbird, 2007 ST 1300, 84 Standard Goldwing.
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Rockford, Illinois
    Posts
    433
    My daughter's bike has Shinko's on it and for an Iowa gravel road they should be great. I'll stop by and see what size tire she has on the rear.

    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Northeast Alabama
    Posts
    412
    If you price tires at the Honda dealer they will likely be higher than what you can get them online for, but they may cut you a deal on mounting if you buy from them so be sure to compare quotes with buying online and having mounted vs buying from dealership and having them mount them.

  10. #10
    Super Moderator Tire buying assistance for a motorcycle noob...please? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,871
    Check prices at americanmototire.com. I find that 90 percent of the time they beat everyone’s prices. And for me, I receive the tires from them generally in 36-48 hours.

    As for the Shinko 705 rear, I bought the cheaper of the two options, which I thought was the 150. It worked fine. The only negative aspect I found with the 705 tires is that they are very squirmy when riding over tar snakes. Maybe that’s due to the diagonal tread pattern.
    Last edited by 670cc; 12th June 2019 at 21:21.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

    NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Similar Threads

  1. Is this tire repairable - by a noob like me?
    By Paulplex in forum Garage / Mechanical Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 1st April 2019, 06:51
  2. Help with tire buying decision
    By yticolev in forum Tire Tech Talk
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 30th June 2017, 13:29
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 18th March 2017, 18:45
  4. Tail Light removal assistance
    By oldmanaz in forum Garage / Mechanical Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26th October 2016, 18:05
  5. AAA vs. AMA vs. Honda roadside assistance
    By MZ5 in forum NC700 General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 4th January 2014, 13:01

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •