Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you carry Chain Press Tool and Chain Breaker with you rbike all the time?

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    No i don't carry one or even own one. I do carry tools and chain alignment tool which i perform regular lube/maint/tension/alignment, also an air compressor and tire repair kit. That's about the contents of my Frunk. Ride safe and enjoy the many Smiles per gallon!! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Senior Member Do you carry Chain Press Tool and Chain Breaker with you rbike all the time? Afan's Avatar
    Bike: 2013 NC700X DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtFlier View Post
    A modern, high quality chain can become loose & worn due to neglect and too many miles but I would guess that actual breakage is extremely rare. And if you broke one while on a trip and had a chain breaker as part of your kit, does it also mean you're carrying a spare chain?
    Not whole chain but couple links to replace damaged ones...
    Instead million dollars, give me million miles!

Senior Member Do you carry Chain Press Tool and Chain Breaker with you rbike all the time? Afan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wcmike View Post
    ... I do carry a spare clutch cable...
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Can Ride View Post
    ... Also do carry a spare clutch cable...
    I don't worry about the clutch cable - I have DCT!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtflier View Post
    what for? Chain breakage is something that happened 40-years ago.
    ha ha ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    I don't carry a Chain tool with me but do have one in my shed. I am meticulous with chain maintenance and check it plus the front sprocket regularly for wear. I do not allow a chain to wear to the point where there is a risk of breakage.
    It does make a sense. But, I'm assuming there are situations where chain can brake because something else failed? Kinda you-drop-bike-on-big-stone-and-brake-it scenario, or something...?

Bike: 750 XD, FLHTC, Can Am RT
    Fifty years ago when chains were crap and fixed by a master link I carried a small chain tool that worked on crappy chains and some master links with extra clips.

Since the advent of higher quality O or X ring chains I only carry adjustment tools and wax based chain lube. And that only when I'm on a tour. Otherwise careful maintenance takes care of all.

Senior Member Do you carry Chain Press Tool and Chain Breaker with you rbike all the time? StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    I've never carried it with me but might start now that you've said something.

[HERE] is the one I use. (cheap)

Do you carry Chain Press Tool and Chain Breaker with you rbike all the time?-71guhwyl1gl-_sl1500_-jpg

on amazon as "ABN Chain Breaker 13-Piece Set with Carrying Case Ė Chain Cutter and Riveter for Motorcycle, Bike, ATV"

photo added
    Last edited by StratTuner; 18th May 2019 at 11:46. Reason: add photo
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

Senior Member Do you carry Chain Press Tool and Chain Breaker with you rbike all the time?
    Do you carry Chain Press Tool and Chain Breaker with you rbike all the time?
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    Seems like a well placed bit of gravel would break or damage the chain - but if I were taking a route like that - say Alaska - I’d probably rework my whole tool selection some and then it would make perfect sense to have it along.

Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Senior Member Do you carry Chain Press Tool and Chain Breaker with you rbike all the time?
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT, latest in a long line
    Quote Originally Posted by StratTuner View Post
    I've never carried it with me but might start now that you've said something.

[HERE] is the one I use. (cheap)

Do you carry Chain Press Tool and Chain Breaker with you rbike all the time?-71guhwyl1gl-_sl1500_-jpg

on amazon as "ABN Chain Breaker 13-Piece Set with Carrying Case – Chain Cutter and Riveter for Motorcycle, Bike, ATV"

photo added
    Looks exactly like mine - got it from Cyclegear. Works like a champ.

Iím supposed to respect my elders, but itís getting harder and harder for me to find one now ..

Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    In the early-70s, I was an desert racer in AMA Dist 37 (So Cal) and I raced for about 5 years so participated in 40-50 races. I did OK and along the way, I had the usual crashes and lots of bent parts but I never broke a chain, so it's difficult for me to believe that a NC700X going down a dirt road at 30 mph could break the chain.

We carried an extra master link but no other chain-specific tools.
    Last edited by DirtFlier; 20th May 2019 at 01:26.