Thread: Timing Chain Service Intervals

Bike: NC700X 2013

Timing Chain Service Intervals

Hi there folks
    I recently bought a NC700X (2013) which has 55000km on the clock. I'm hearing a mild knocking noise after the engine warms up. A motorcycle mechanic in my area diagnosed the problem to be a stretched/worn timing chain. Does anyone out there know what the normal service intervals are for the timing chain? When should it normally be changed?
    Your help will be appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    There are dozens of posts on the engine mechanical noise level on the NC. There is a considerable amount of “normal noise” or character built into the NC.

One test, at idle in neutral pull the clutch lever..........does the noise change ? The primary drive and transmission gears create a considerable amount of the noise.

Many of these prior noise discussions were on brand new bikes with very low mileage.
    Many of the posts have video and audio clips of the noises.
    There a few prior posts where this was discussed.........some with engine disassembley........only to find no problem.
    Last edited by showkey; 12th January 2019 at 06:06.

Bike: NC700X
    My shop manual is about 1,000 miles away from me right now, but I don't think that there is maintenance call out for the timing chain.

Bike: X-Adventure, Suzuki VStrom 1000ABS, 1989 Honda Dominator, CRF250L
    Timing chain service will somewhat depend on the oil change intervals during the life of the bike. In all my years of owning overhead cam bikes I have never had to change a timing chain. My oil change intervals would be more frequent than recommended by the manufacturer. Many would have had more than 55,000kms on the odometer. It would be difficult to tell what the noise is on here without hearing it. However I have heard little or no chat about cam chain replacement and many bikes on here have well more than 55,000kms on their odos.

Having said that though there have been incidences on here of the chain tensioner failure. Perhaps that is the issue.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT
    There's no mention of it in the workshop manuals. There is a section on cam chain tensioner inspection, so as others have suggested, I'd start there.

Senior Member Timing Chain Service Intervals davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Post an audio of the engine running. May be normal, may not be....could be timing chain, could be tensioner, could be loose valves.
    Do you hear this noise in neutral or while running/shifting gears (if this is the case, could be a kinked chain causing knocking noise at front sprocket)?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bike: NC700X 2013
    The sound is audible all the time (once the engine heats up), both in neutral and through all the gears. However, it seems to go quieter when revs are over 3500rpm. I'll post an audio/video. I removed the tensioner for inspection on Monday. Both tensioner and chain look to be in good order. So at least I have peace of mind that it's not that.