Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is K&N air filter really worth $63?

Bike: 2013 NC700X DCT

Is K&N air filter really worth $63?

It's time to replace my air filter (finally after 20K miles).
    But the prices are so different so wonder what's am I missing.

While on THIS online store it's only $18 (free shipping), on Partzilla is $35 + shipping.

But K&N air filters are $63 (knfilters online store, or on Amazon or eBay). Are they really so good and worth paying $63?!?

Where (and what) are you buying air filters for your NenCy?
    Instead million dollars, give me million miles!

Super Moderator Is K&N air filter really worth ? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Unfortunately, air filter threads are nearly as bad as oil threads, and here I am contributing to what will likely end in controversial thread. I apologize in advance.

Do not use racing filters as there is no need for more air flow on the NC, and the racing filter will likely trap less dirt. The NC700X air filter is quite large relative to the engine size. Adequate air flow is not a problem.

I buy genuine OEM Honda filters from the online part seller with the lowest price. Since I ride in fairly dust free areas, I have no problem going at least 24,000 miles between air filter changes.

If I had a K&N air filter for the NC700X, I would give it to you for free.

I stopped using K&N filters after my experience with my Goldwing. The properly oiled filter pictured below had 35,000 miles on it. It was hardly dirty at all, presumably because it allowed most of the dirt to pass through the engine, instead of trapping it. The pores of the K&N filter are so large that I held my iPhone camera up to the dirty filter, and took a pretty reasonable photo of my garage window THROUGH the used air filter. This suggested to me that the K&N filter is so open that it would fail to trap dirt and protect the engine. I tossed the K&N in the trash and I will never use another one. It's my belief, based on my observations, that K&N oiled air filters do not adequately filter dirt to keep it out of the engine.

Dirty filter
    Is K&N air filter really worth ?-836c371a-d3e5-4088-a83b-ff90bcde4c10-jpg

Photo taken looking through the dirty filter.
    Is K&N air filter really worth ?-3f3f995a-0824-449a-ad3c-3eb0c88361d9-jpg
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member Is K&N air filter really worth ? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Stock OEM every 24,000 miles. I had a bad experience with a K & N in my ST1300 and won’t ever use one again.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Member Is K&N air filter really worth ?
    Bike: SV,WR,YZ,NC
    IMO on a utilitarian bike you're better off using a stock type filter.

If a stock filter is $19 and a K&N is $63, you're looking at in excess of 3 stock filters for one K&N. If they last 24k, that's 72k on top of what you have now. And that's not even considering the time it takes to clean.

Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT
    Bob the oil guy did some testing a while back (on car filters); I'n not going to offer an opinion but you can find his results here- Air Filtration Test
    and
    Filtration Testing for Amsoil, K&N, Napa, Jackson Racing,
    Baldwin, and Mazda air filters on a Miata

(his current webpage has broken photo links)
    Last edited by HarveyM; 8th January 2019 at 10:19.

Bike: X-Adventure, Suzuki VStrom 1000ABS, 1989 Honda Dominator, CRF250L
    The OEM is designed for the bike by Honda to ensure minimal engine damage combined with correct carburation. What more could one ask for ?
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Thanks guys for the help. I really appreciate it.
    Never thought about the K&N as bad air filters?!? I use their oil filters, so I thought they are reliable... So, they are ff the table.
    Also, didn't know anything abut the "racing" filters too. What helped me to throw the first option, for $18 because of this "This racing air filter has just two layers of cotton to provide even lower air restriction than our replacement air filter for street vehicles..."

So, Partzilla it is...

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Unfortunately, air filter threads are nearly as bad as oil threads...
    You know, I was thinking for a while is it possible to make something like FAQs? Or something like "What air filter you use" poll? I don't need to ask what filter if 80% responds Honda OEM Air Filter

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    The OEM is designed for the bike by Honda to ensure minimal engine damage combined with correct carburation. What more could one ask for ?
    No, Honda doesn't design, or make, filters. Details of the engine to determine maximum required air flow, and air box dimensions so the filter fits are given to one of their air filter suppliers to come up with appropriate filter. Vehicle mfg's. are no longer vertically integrated. Oh, and just about all motor vehicles are fuel injected. Correct air/fuel ratio is determined by a computer and sensors.

Bike: X-Adventure, Suzuki VStrom 1000ABS, 1989 Honda Dominator, CRF250L
    Quote Originally Posted by b_rubenstein View Post
    No, Honda doesn't design, or make, filters. Details of the engine to determine maximum required air flow, and air box dimensions so the filter fits are given to one of their air filter suppliers to come up with appropriate filter. Vehicle mfg's. are no longer vertically integrated. Oh, and just about all motor vehicles are fuel injected. Correct air/fuel ratio is determined by a computer and sensors.

I think the content of my suggestion is clear enough without being minutely picked apart. I would also venture to suggest that EFI is not foolproof and indeed will not function correctly if the correct airflow of the filter does not assist.

Accordingly I will adjust my suggestion to say that Honda have approved a suitable filter for their product to ensure proper airflow to the EFI system and minimal engine damage. That ok ?
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.