Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Filter wrenches

Senior Member Oil Filter wrenches
    Oil Filter wrenches
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT

Oil Filter wrenches

Not wanting to hi-jack or divert a previous post about oil filters, which seems to go on forever, I thought I'd mention that filter wrenches are available from Honda. Long ago bought a "filter set" from Honda - the set being a nicely-plated, metal, oil filter wrench and one oil filter. If you look at a Honda parts drawing, it shows the numbers for a set and also for an individual filter.

Filter Set: 15010-MCE-H51 or Filter: 15410-MFJ-D01

The cap wrench fits very tightly in fact I've forgotten to remove it on occasion and still found it in place many miles later! And my sons change oil in their Honda cars at my house and they've done the same. Now, I've learned to look for the filter wrench before they leave my garage.

And "No" I don't know what other filter brands it fits because I've only used Honda filters all these years. :-)
    Last edited by DirtFlier; 6th December 2018 at 02:36.

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    I bought a box of filters and a wrench combo for my Honda Civic. Iíve been using the same wrench for 18 years. Heavy duty chromed metal. Top quality! I have never had it slip on a stuck filter.
    My friends bought different brands online and they were either thin metal or plastic. When torqued, they will expand and skip.
    I think I paid $6-$8 for my Honda wrench. The other ones are less expensive but you get what you pay for.

JT

Senior Member Oil Filter wrenches
    Oil Filter wrenches
    Bike: 2013 NC700x/w DCT
    Yes, the metal on the Honda filter wrench is a good thickness. And it fits both the car and bike filters that are genuine Honda.

Member Oil Filter wrenches New Commuter700's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X
    I use the same spring filter wrench that I bought for my pickup 18 years ago...

Oil Filter wrenches-img_7711-jpg

https://tinkergr.wixsite.com/website

Bike: Honda NC 700 X
    This may help someone out. A simple economical oil filter wrench that fits any 2-1/2 to 2-3/4” oil filter. Simple and costs about $4 total. First buy a 2-1/2” to 2-3/4” crawler type hose clamp. It will have a hex head for a 5/16” socket. Buy a cheap 5/16” nut driver. It will have a screwdriver handle ( or you can just buy a 5/16” hex x1/4” drive socket if you already have a 1/4” drive handle). Next file the metal rim part inback of the 5/16 “ hex drive nut on the crawler clamp,so your socket or nut driver socket will go on deeper. check for a tight fit, put some expoxy into the socket and tap onto the drive nut that in on the crawler clamp.let sit for a few days inside. Now you have an adjustable 2-1/2” to 2-3/4” crawler clamp with a fixed handle, you turn to tighten or loosen the crawler type hose clamp around the oil filter. Simply tighten the clamp around the oil filter, once you get it to turn you can loosen the clamp, reposition,tighten and turn more untill loose enough to turn oil filter by hand. The other alternative is just to buy the hose clamp <$1,tighten the hose clamp around the oil filter and then use a pair of vice grips or channel lock pliers to grab the clamp worm screw ( front to rear) and loosen the oil filter. You can make one with any size hose clamp for whatever diameter oil filter. Not responsible if you hurt yourself making or using this tool.

Seriously, an end-cap oil filter wrench that's used with a 3/8" drive ratchet for a Honda costs about about $6. Why jerk around with some kludge to save $2?

Bike: 750 XD, FLHTC, Can Am RT
    And if you haven't changed the oil yet on a new NC. Get the Honda filter wrench. I changed my oil and filters at the 700 mile marker. Holy cow. How tight did Honda screw it down?

I had four different filter wrench's in my tool chest. I thought I'd be covered. Two were socket types of the wrong size the other two are the adjustable type with a band and handle.

Yeah, I got it off. Eventually. I think Honda put it on with a impact wrench set way to high. Get the right tool for the job.

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy da vig View Post
    And if you haven't changed the oil yet on a new NC. Get the Honda filter wrench. I changed my oil and filters at the 700 mile marker. Holy cow. How tight did Honda screw it down?

I had four different filter wrench's in my tool chest. I thought I'd be covered. Two were socket types of the wrong size the other two are the adjustable type with a band and handle.

Yeah, I got it off. Eventually. I think Honda put it on with a impact wrench set way to high. Get the right tool for the job.
    It is not that Honda over tightened the filter.........the oring is sticking to the block. This sticking increases the torque needed to break it lose. This is not limited to the NC. Has been discussed at length in the past ( since 2012).

The filter/block threads are also dry. And, probably nothing is tightened in a modern vehicle factory by anything other than some automated device set to a specific torque value. I also doubt that any one named Honda puts oil filters on new engines.

Bike: Honda NC 700 X
    Quote Originally Posted by b_rubenstein View Post
    Seriously, an end-cap oil filter wrench that's used with a 3/8" drive ratchet for a Honda costs about about $6. Why jerk around with some kludge to save $2?
    I have two questions -#1 What’s a kludge ? . , #2 that socket you bought for $6 will remove the filter without a ratchet attached to it ? that ( must be free -since the price of a rachet is not shown). Plus the “ kludge “ you speak of will work in places on many vechicles and bikes that$6 socket cannot/ won’t fit. Like the filter on an Indian Scout. Unless you remove the horn, utilizing more time and tools.