Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil Filter wrenches

Bike: NC700XD. Oh, and Vespa GTS 250, and Piaggio MP3 500
    I just use channel locks. Squish the housing just a little to get a really good grip, and off it comes.

Banned
    Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda333 View Post
    I have two questions -#1 What’s a kludge ? . , #2 that socket you bought for $6 will remove the filter without a ratchet attached to it ? that ( must be free -since the price of a rachet is not shown). Plus the “ kludge “ you speak of will work in places on many vechicles and bikes that$6 socket cannot/ won’t fit. Like the filter on an Indian Scout. Unless you remove the horn, utilizing more time and tools.
    Kludge Who works on a car or motorcycle without owning a ratchet wrench? Nowhere in my post did I imply that filter wrench come with a ratchet. I was also incorrect about its price. I was in Walmart yesterday and it costs $3.40. If for some bizarre reason I bought an Indian Scout, I would buy the appropriate tools to work on it that I didn't already own.

Bike: Honda NC 700 X
    Quote Originally Posted by b_rubenstein View Post
    Kludge Who works on a car or motorcycle without owning a ratchet wrench? Nowhere in my post did I imply that filter wrench come with a ratchet. I was also incorrect about its price. I was in Walmart yesterday and it costs $3.40. If for some bizarre reason I bought an Indian Scout, I would buy the appropriate tools to work on it that I didn't already own.
    Lol, some just really don’t get it. Of course I have tools, many.including a Bridgeport and a Harrison Lathe. Have built robotics and machinery. But that’s irreverent. Some people may appreciate the fact that they may just want to do do minor maintenance like CHANGING their oil. I do all my own repair/ rebuild work including engine/ trans/ electrical work. Many wish to have a dealer or shop do repairs and the likes- but are willing to do minor maintenance ( again as in oil changes) themselves. Helping others is a good thing. Ripping those who do is either unknowing or arrogant.

Bike: NC700/RSVRV2/900SS/VFR750F2
    So thus far we seem to have A) buy a decent filter wrench (or cap) that correctly fits the filter you have decided to use, OR B) make one from pieces parts that is basically a strap "wrench".

Hmmmmm.

I have both caps and straps, and use both as needed depending on the vehicle, but prefer when I can use the end cap.
    Last edited by Krampus; 13th December 2018 at 16:13.

Banned
    Left out Channel Lock pliers; which is just the ticket for the first oil filter change

Bike: NC700/RSVRV2/900SS/VFR750F2
    Quote Originally Posted by b_rubenstein View Post
    Left out Channel Lock pliers; which is just the ticket for the first oil filter change
    What about the second oil filter change?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Krampus View Post
    What about the second oil filter change?
    Sigh... The first oil change comment is what's known as sarcasm. For the first oil change a large Channel Lock is mostly good for crushing and mangling the oil filter. It should work okay for subsequent oil changes provided it wan't used for tightening the last installed oil filter.

Bike: NC700XD. Oh, and Vespa GTS 250, and Piaggio MP3 500
    I have never used a tool to install a spin-on oil filter.

Ever. Unless you consider my hands to be tools.

And I coat the sealing ring with oil (on both sides), prior to installation.

The only time I have ever had a problem removing an oil filter was the first time I did it on a vehicle; had to put a screwdriver through that one.
    Otherwise I used that circle-clamp thing for some years, then lost it, and have used channel-locks ever since, with no issues.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison Sully View Post
    I have never used a tool to install a spin-on oil filter.
    No one suggested that you did.

Senior Member Oil Filter wrenches New Commuter700's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison Sully View Post

The only time I have ever had a problem removing an oil filter was the first time I did it on a vehicle; had to put a screwdriver through that one.
    Otherwise I used that circle-clamp thing for some years, then lost it, and have used channel-locks ever since, with no issues.
    ah yes, the screwdriver through the filter method. I used that for years on various cars. It makes a mess but it was effective until I mangled a filter on my Olds Cutlass so bad that it tore in half. I don't even remember how I got the bottom half off now, I just remember raging at it for over an hour and that a hammer may have been involved

https://tinkergr.wixsite.com/website