Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oil filter again?

Bike: Honda NC 700 X
    Glad to see this thread. I have a NIB Pure One- purolator oil filter left over from my wifeís CRV we traded in. Now I will have a use for it instead of giving it away. Hey, whereís all the forum oil threads ?.... ( Lol).

Bike: 2013 XD
    Quote Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
    I had particular analyses called particle counts run on the used oil and on the remaining new from one of the bottles I'd filled the bike with. The used oil had considerably fewer particles of all analyzed sizes (a range of sizes that are the sizes that cause essentially all engine wear) in it than the new had. What that basically means is that the Tough Gard 7317 is a _very_ good filter, and the Ultra is an even better filter than that.
    OK, thanks.
    That is crazy, right?

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    I was pleased. (-:

I have been in contact with a (former?) Fram tech person in the past, and my conversations with that person caused me to wonder if it would be this way.

There are a couple of things I've come to accept as fact, based on data I've either generated myself over the years, or come across:
    1) New oil is surprisingly 'dirty' from most marketers, and
    2) The motorcycle oil filters from everyone I've found do not seem to have any sort of focus on good filtration.

Senior Member Oil filter again? GregC's Avatar
    Bike: 2015 NC700x DCT
    Iíd add:

(3) most modern internal combustion engines donít seem to care much about how clean the oil is - at least for the projected time most folks have them.

Donít get me wrong, I change oil religiously and use quality parts, but realistically it seems most modern engines will go a long time with minimal maintenance, including oil changes.

There was some thread about a new synthetic that said never change the oil again - just add when low.

I know my ancient Honda mower hasnít had an oil change in years Oil filter again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by GregC View Post
    Iíd add:

(3) most modern internal combustion engines donít seem to care much about how clean the oil is - at least for the projected time most folks have them.

Donít get me wrong, I change oil religiously and use quality parts, but realistically it seems most modern engines will go a long time with minimal maintenance, including oil changes.

There was some thread about a new synthetic that said never change the oil again - just add when low.

I know my ancient Honda mower hasnít had an oil change in years Oil filter again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think the quality (or water content) of gas now days contributes to that longevity.

New a guy that bragged about only changing the oil in his little ford ranger (early 90's 4 cylinder) 1 time, only added oil when needed, which wasn't often. The engine lasted over 230,000 miles which is made even more impressive by the fact that was almost entirely city miles.

Engine blew up, the oil looked like road tar, truck would have lasted him twice as long had he changed the oil a couple dozen times

Super Moderator Oil filter again? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
    I was pleased. (-:

I have been in contact with a (former?) Fram tech person in the past, and my conversations with that person caused me to wonder if it would be this way.

There are a couple of things I've come to accept as fact, based on data I've either generated myself over the years, or come across:
    1) New oil is surprisingly 'dirty' from most marketers, and
    2) The motorcycle oil filters from everyone I've found do not seem to have any sort of focus on good filtration.
    Some Honda scooter engines don’t even have oil filters (three of mine are that way). Honda doesn’t seem too worried about “dirty” new oil or about filtering it. My Honda lawn mower has no oil filter and it’s entering it’s 35th year of successful operation, albeit with regular oil changes.

Honda recommended oil filter change intervals are lengthening. The NC is now at 16,000 miles and my Honda SUT is somewhere around 18-19,000 miles oil filter change interval.
    Last edited by 670cc; 10th December 2018 at 18:35. Reason: Added missing word.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    The data do not support the fallacious notion that engines (and gearboxes) "don't care how clean the oil is." Do not confuse a particle count with what some of you know as a used oil analysis. A particle count is a completely different thing. There's plenty of solid, published work on particulate contamination vs. wear, and clean is much better than dirty. Particulate contamination may come from many places (clutch plate debris, garbage coming in through the intake, contamination in new oil, contamination in fuel...), and minimizing it has a real impact on total wear.

Remember that a manufacturer has a vested financial interest in your vehicle _not_ lasting forever. It just has to last _long enough_ that you're not too ticked off about it, and to not make you spend an offensively large amount on routine maintenance.

Senior Member Oil filter again? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    Some Honda scooter engines don’t even have oil filters (three of mine are that way). Honda doesn’t seem too worried about “dirty” new oil or about filtering it. My Honda lawn mower has no oil filter and it’s entering it’s 35th year of successful operation, albeit with regular oil changes.

Honda recommended oil change intervals are lengthening. The NC is now at 16,000 miles and my Honda SUT is somewhere around 18-19,000 miles oil filter change interval.
    16,000 mile oil change interval? I know the NC valve check was lengthened to 16,000 but the oil change too?
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Super Moderator Oil filter again? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by dduelin View Post
    16,000 mile oil change interval? I know the NC valve check was lengthened to 16,000 but the oil change too?
    My mistake. I omitted the word filter, so I’ve since corrected my post. The oil filter change went to 16,000 miles on the schedule for later model years. I don’t know exactly when the schedule changed; perhaps it was 2016. The oil change remains at 8000 mile intervals.
    Last edited by 670cc; 10th December 2018 at 18:35.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member Oil filter again? dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    My mistake. I omitted the word filter, so Iíve since corrected my post. The oil filter change went to 16,000 miles on the schedule for later model years. I donít know exactly when the schedule changed; perhaps it was 2016. The oil change remains at 8000 mile intervals.
    Ok that makes sense. My 2017 Accord maintenance minder did not indicate an oil change needed until nearly 12,000 miles. It's hard to trust that advice but Honda has a lot more riding on their reputation than I do.

I still cannot bring myself to go more than 6000 miles on the motorcycle OCIs. I did 6500 once but it was on a trans continental ride.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD