Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil filter again?

Super Moderator Oil filter again? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by SergeantChuck View Post
    Are you stuck on using a FRAM filter? I switched to the K&N Filter with the nut on the end. It is the KN -204. Make it easier to remove the filter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison Sully View Post
    Or a HiFloFiltro HF204....
    Quote Originally Posted by rippin209 View Post
    I use the napa brand gold (black in color)
    And made by WIXThe one in the pic is the exact one I use on my NC, it's actually for a civic or accord (99% of Honda's use the same size and bypass pressure, some are a little longer but that's just more filter material to more better Oil filter again?Oil filter again?)

Only Honda I know of with a unique filter is the coupe S2000
    I see this morphing into a never ending oil (filter) thread. Why are we posting about other filters? The question is specifically about the FRAM 7317, which the OP has 5 of.
    Last edited by 670cc; 5th December 2018 at 09:29.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Commuter Extraordinaire Oil filter again?
    Oil filter again?
    Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    I see this morphing into a never ending oil (filter) thread. Why are we posting about other filters? The question is specifically about the FRAM 7317, which the OP has 5 of.
    I missed the part about him having 5 filters and was going to recommend something better, IMO. Didn't intentionally try to derail the topic.

Super Moderator Oil filter again? 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by SergeantChuck View Post
    I missed the part about him having 5 filters and was going to recommend something better, IMO. Didn't intentionally try to derail the topic.
    It’s fine, nothing personal. I don’t mean to be heavy handed, but these type threads tend to take on life and grow into monsters if we don’t stay on topic.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: '13 NC700X, '09 Moto Guzzi V7 Classic
    I bought an oil filter at Wal-Mart. don't remember the brand but it was the number listed in the book hanging from the oil filter shelf at the store. I also ordered an oil filter wrench from Amazon, the kind that slips over the end of the oil filter and has a square hole that a 3/8 ratchet will fit into. The wrench wouldn't fit over the filter that I bought at Wal-mart, so I thought Oh great Amazon sent me the wrong wrench. But then I got down on the floor to see if the wrench would fit the filter that was on the bike, perfect fit. So I took the filter back to the store and then ordered a genuine Honda filter from Amazon.
    I'm not smart enough for a smart phone, so all I have is a dumb phone.
    GPS? Why would I want one of them? You can't get lost, there's no fun in that.

Commuter Extraordinaire Oil filter again?
    Oil filter again?
    I've been doing some reading on the topic just because I'm curious and almost every thread I have read says the PH6017A is used on Honda motorcycles and the PH7317 is used with Honda cars. The only difference is the height and I assume this is because a car filters more oil over a bike. Many Gold Wing riders report using the PH7317 and have done so for years without issue. It seems to boil do to a clearance issue and from what I have seen and read, the NC will not have a problem. Seems like you have nothing to be concerned about.

Bike: 2013 XD
    Quote Originally Posted by MZ5 View Post
    I've been using the 7317 filters for 25 - 30k miles now, excepting one interval where I had a Bosch 3300 on it. They fit and work perfectly in all respects. I use either the Tough Gard or the Ultra according to whim. The 6017A is the Fram filter for nearly all Honda motorcycles made for a couple decades(?), and the 7317 is the Fram filter for essentially all Honda automobiles for I truly don't know how many decades. The last analysis I ran showed that my used oil was significantly cleaner than new oil from the same bottle when I used the 7317.
    Thanks.
    I don't understand cleaner after use though.

Quote Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
    Thanks.I don't understand cleaner after use though.
    My interpretation is that after using the new oil from the same bottle first with the 6017A filter, and at the next oil & filter change used the 7317 filter. Then he sent both used oil samples for analysis and the oil used with the 7317 filter had less crud in it. Note: he uses either the Tough Guard (TG7317) or Ultra (XG7317), which are better filters than the plain 7317. Clear as crankcase sludge.

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A

Oil filter again?

Or... With the Fram filter, he can pour used oil in the crankcase, drive 88 mph and after 8,000 miles he can bottle it up like new!

JT
    Last edited by Jt105; 6th December 2018 at 05:27.

Bike: 2013 XD
    Quote Originally Posted by b_rubenstein View Post
    Clear as crankcase sludge.
    Got it.

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Quote Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
    Thanks.
    I don't understand cleaner after use though.
    I had particular analyses called particle counts run on the used oil and on the remaining new from one of the bottles I'd filled the bike with. The used oil had considerably fewer particles of all analyzed sizes (a range of sizes that are the sizes that cause essentially all engine wear) in it than the new had. What that basically means is that the Tough Gard 7317 is a _very_ good filter, and the Ultra is an even better filter than that.