Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Fluttering Sound

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Hearing that the throttle body was loose is an odd problem but explains the symptoms. I remember reading this thread awhile back and recently had similar problems.
    No noticeable power loss but it felt like riding something with a carburetor with the choke on our when it's cold.
    Not noticeable (at least to me) at an idle or when above 4,000 rpm but under load (when riding) it was definitely not right.
    I thought bad gas or a vacuum leak so I take out the air filter and there's a small gasket on both the top half and bottom half of the air box and part of it was out of place, lined it all up put it back together (did the EFI reset) and sure enough problem is gone.

It doesn't take much to make a noticeable difference on the NC apparently

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    Intake tract leak could easily swamp the ECU's demand (control) authority to adjust pulse width on the injectors.

Commuter Extraordinaire Engine Fluttering Sound
    Engine Fluttering Sound
    Bike: NC700X
    Both Friday and Saturday, I sprayed starting fluid all around the throttle body area with no reaction by the engine. I even expanded the spraying a little further than the throttle body and still nothing. Looking like it is not a vacuum leak. My next step will probably be to change the injectors and fuel rail.

Engine Fluttering Sound
    Quote Originally Posted by rippin209 View Post
    I thought bad gas or a vacuum leak so I take out the air filter and there's a small gasket on both the top half and bottom half of the air box and part of it was out of place, lined it all up put it back together (did the EFI reset) and sure enough problem is gone.

I'll take a look at this. I have had the air box apart many times and could have missed that but I think it is good. I have also done the EFI reset. I did not try a reset after fixing the throttle body leak.

Engine Fluttering Sound
    Hearing that the throttle body was loose is an odd problem but explains the symptoms. I remember reading this thread awhile back and recently had similar problems.
    No noticeable power loss but it felt like riding something with a carburetor with the choke on our when it's cold.
    Not noticeable (at least to me) at an idle or when above 4,000 rpm but under load (when riding) it was definitely not right.

Just wanting some clarification. I took the air box back out. You said something about a small gasket on both the top half and bottom half of air box. I see the gasket in the bottom half of the air box but the top half is supposed to have one too? I did not see one BUT I really did not look that hard. I will take a good look tonight.

Engine Fluttering Sound
    I finally got around to swapping the injectors. What a PITA. There is no room in that area. The wiring harness clips to the fuel rail which complicates things and the electrical connectors have a large rubber cover which in my case made it hard to press the release lever hard enough for it to click so I could pull the connector free.

The hose between the throttle body and the intake could not be removed because of how they positioned the clamp. I cannot get a wrench, socket, or screwdriver on that fasteners to loosen it so wiggling the fuel rail past that was tough. I got the new injectors in place and will reinstall the throttle body tonight.

Cross your fingers. I hope this fixes my problem.

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by SergeantChuck View Post
    Just wanting some clarification. I took the air box back out. You said something about a small gasket on both the top half and bottom half of air box. I see the gasket in the bottom half of the air box but the top half is supposed to have one too? I did not see one BUT I really did not look that hard. I will take a good look tonight.
    There is two Part #4 one above the filter and one below (one for the box and one for the lid)

Engine Fluttering Sound
    There is two Part #4 one above the filter and one below (one for the box and one for the lid)
    I found the second seal/gasket the same day. Finally decided to remove the filter and look in that grove. Thank for the reply.

Engine Fluttering Sound
    Well, if anyone is following this story, the injectors did not help. Still having the same issue. I post all this just in case someone else has the same problem in the future.

In my mind, this leaves one of two things. Just maybe, it could have something to do with the Throttle Position Sensor or it is a partially restricted fuel filter which is lowering my fuel pressure and it the engine is not getting supplied enough fuel. I'm looking into a way to test the fuel pressure. I spoke with a fellow worker and was told he might have a fuel pressure tester that has some sort of a "tap" that is used jump between the fuel line and the fuel rail. He is checking to see if he still has it.

I'm going to pull the new spark plugs and take another look since it has been ridden on those plugs for about 200 miles. I want to see if it is in fact running lean. I have a bad feeling I'm going to have to pull the tank and replace the fuel pump/filter. If/when I do this, I will try to take some photos since I'm not sure I have seen any posted on the site.

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    You’ve done a lot of work chasing this problem. When you checked the valves, did you verify the cam timing to see if the cam chain skipped a tooth?

JT