Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Engine Fluttering Sound

Commuter Extraordinaire Engine Fluttering Sound
    Engine Fluttering Sound
    Bike: NC700X
    I decided to check the air filter today. Keep in mind, it was supposed to have been changed by the dealer when I took it in for one last service prior to the end of my 4 year service package purchased from that dealer. That was at 48k miles and I am now at 60k. Air filter looked pretty crappy for only 12K miles since they "replaced" it. I just ordered a new one a few minutes ago.

Took a look at the ignition coil connections. They looked find. Still tossing around the idea of replacing the coils. They aren't too expensive.

Engine Fluttering Sound-20181124_102354-jpg
    Last edited by SergeantChuck; 24th November 2018 at 10:13.

Bike: Honda NC 700 X
    That air filter looks pretty bad. I would almost bet it got missed. Is the center oily ? Is the oil level correct? Too high a level can do this. One reason to look into servicing your bikes yourself.

Engine Fluttering Sound
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda333 View Post
    That air filter looks pretty bad. I would almost bet it got missed. Is the center oily ? Is the oil level correct? Too high a level can do this. One reason to look into servicing your bikes yourself.
    Oil level is good. I changed the oil myself the last time two times since my warranty ran out and the oil was one of the first things I checked when the problem began. I was looking to see if the oil level had raised and antifreeze level had lowered. I have a feeling the filter is the original so it has 60K of debris.

The dark area is in line with the intake snorkel in the airbox so it gets a direct stream on intake air. It has nothing to do with the oil level in the engine.

Engine Fluttering Sound
    Update on my situation. The problem has not been resolved but I figured I would list what I have done so far for historical and future troubleshooting purposes.

1. Checked Oil Level
    2. Replaced Spark Plugs
    3. Replaced Air Filter
    4. 3 X Tank of fuel with Seafoam
    5. 1 X Tank of fuel with HEAT
    6. Replaced Ignition Coils
    7. Opened fuel cap while riding to test venting
    8. Checked for loose ground wires.

Thinking about checking for a small vacuum. In the old days I would just spray carb cleaners around hoses and listen for a difference in the idle. Any suggestions on how to do that with a bike? Same way?

Bike: 2015 NC700X, 2012 ST1300A
    Good idea. I think it would work to spray around the intake. It could be a loose or cracked vacuum seal somewhere.
    Makes as much sense as anything.

JT

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    I had a similar problem when I serviced my K&N filter I used a aerosol spray that was supposed to be designed for cleaning my O2 sensor that's located inside the air box (the one you have to disconnect when changing/servicing the air filter)
    because I was messing around that area when I started having problems (which was almost immediately) I figured it was the O2 sensor,
    I ordered a new one, installed it and did the reset buy disconnecting the battery, turning the key on to discharge anything in the system, let it sit for awhile then hooked the battery back up turned on the key, started the motorcycle and didn't touch the throttle at all until after the fan came on (full operating temp) sure enough my motorcycle ran perfect after that.

I did ride my NC for almost a week (around 500 miles with it not running perfectly)
    After all that, a week or two later my water temp sensor (controls the radiator fan want bad) my NC had 65k/66k miles when this all happened. Changed the water temp sensor and my coolant and my NC us back to normal.

Good luck, I hope that was helpful

Super Moderator Engine Fluttering Sound 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Regarding a possible vacuum leak, I’m posting this is as food for thought, nothing else.

On carbureted motorcycles, you have the carb mixing fuel with the air, then the flow typically passes through a boot to the cylinder head. Any vacuum leaks downstream of the carb introduces more air and leans the mixture. On the NC , the throttle body controls air flow. But, the fuel is injected in the head, just before the intake valves. A leak at the throttle body boot could mess up the accuracy of the computer’s feedback as to how much air is actually entering the engine, but it’s less likely it could lean the mixture on this engine. In closed loop mode the O2 sensor feedback in the exhaust would induce fuel trim to put the mixture back where it should be.

Engine Fluttering Sound-17523032-18a1-40a8-a844-bb134b8e693a-jpg

Engine Fluttering Sound-89944b96-cc4c-4e9a-8c7f-e00d5852b2eb-jpg
    Last edited by 670cc; 5th December 2018 at 06:20.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250