Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bike won't start- all apears normal.

Bike: Honda
    The battery booster will easily jump start your motorcycle. They can be pricey but you obviously you can’t bump start the DCT. I recently had my battery die when I was riding locally to test performance and the bike wouldn’t start after i turned it off in the high school parking lot. I didn’t have my phone on me either. Luckiky, I was close enough to walk home and bring my son back with his truck to jump start the bike. The battery was about 4 years old as it sat at the dealer for a year and I have had the bike for 3 years. This pissed me off and I use a battery maintainer from “Battery Tender”, which was recommended by my Honda dealer. So, i got a new battery and shelled out $100 for a NOCO genius boost plus from Amazon. I also bought a compressor that will run off my accesory socket. I take long trips to the middle of nowhere. So, I need that piece of mind.

Bike: 2012 NC700Xc
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    On a non recording meter, the accuracy of the reading seen on a video is still depending on the rate that the meter updates itís display. It make take the evaluation of readings from several attempts to be conclusive. Some meters, like a Fluke 87, will automatically record min and max voltages, either at 100ms or 1ms intervals.

The bottom line is that the fancier your meter, the more accurate your results.
    or just get an analog meter for $15, read out is nearly instantaneous.

Bike: NC700XD (2012)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverRocket View Post
    I got to work and back home fine today, like always.
    I ride freeway to work (10 miles) and streets home(7 miles) 4-5 days a week every week.
    I've never had a battery issues in all my 17 years and 8 bikes combined.
    Because of your routine! You keep the battery almost always fully charged!

My main concern now is what caused the drop in voltage.
    Yes, you must check for parasitic drain.

The other idea is should I carry around one of those new pocket battery booster gadgets? If a battery drops in voltage like mine did will those gadgets allow for a jump? Or is a trickle charger the only way to get a battery back up to a reliable state?
    Jump starting must be the last solution and be avoided if possible, mostly because the charging system will be stressed.

In general vehicle charging systems are designed to keep a battery charged, not to charge an empty one. The bulk charging of a battery is better to be done with a charger.
    Also an empty battery is deteriorated relatively quickly because of sulfation. It must be always fully charged for longevity.

There's a good reason that has vanished as a procedure from all motorcycle owner manuals (all except HD...).

Quote Originally Posted by bvogel7475 View Post
    They can be pricey but you obviously you can’t bump start the DCT.
    I don't see why not when the gear is in neutral... If not it will need more effort but it shouldn't be impossible.

Super Moderator Bike won't start- all apears normal. 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by bvogel7475 View Post
    They can be pricey but you obviously you can’t bump start the DCT.
    Quote Originally Posted by ste7ios View Post
    I don't see why not when the gear is in neutral... If not it will need more effort but it shouldn't be impossible.
    Jump start DCT, yes.

Bump start DCT, no. The clutches default to disengaged, so even if the DCT was stuck in gear with a dead battery, the rear wheel couldn’t turn over the engine with the clutch free wheeling.

Even to bump start a manual, the battery still would need to be strong enough to run the fuel pump and EFI.
    Last edited by 670cc; 7th November 2018 at 11:43.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bump... Thank you. I did the translation now!

Yes you’re right, but anyway a bike like that is too heavy to try it at least for me (my weight is barely 60Kg. Featherweight category )

Senior Member Bike won't start- all apears normal. SilverRocket's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XDLG
    I've been thinking- maybe my commute home, on side streets with speeds ranging from 25-40, means my bike is not revving high enough. The automatic loves to get into high gear ASAP.
    I keep it in auto mode and if not in a hurry may just go the speed limit. At that speed the transmission will upshift quickly so that I am never revving very high. Less than 3,000 rpms.

Could the bike's alternator not be getting enough power at reduced rpms? Anyone know how the power output varies with rpms on this bike. Could it be that moseying down the road at low rpms means that there's not enough power to charge the battery, after having to power the lights and gauges, etc?

My bike is totally stock, no accessories.

Super Moderator Bike won't start- all apears normal. 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    I've been thinking- maybe my commute home, on side streets with speeds ranging from 25-40, means my bike is not revving high enough. The automatic loves to get into high gear ASAP.
    I keep it in auto mode and if not in a hurry may just go the speed limit. At that speed the transmission will upshift quickly so that I am never revving very high. Less than 3,000 rpms.

Could the bike's alternator not be getting enough power at reduced rpms? Anyone know how the power output varies with rpms on this bike. Could it be that moseying down the road at low rpms means that there's not enough power to charge the battery, after having to power the lights and gauges, etc?

I usually ride locally on narrow, blind backroads that don’t safely allow high speeds. I can easily go for an hour or two and never go over 3000 rpm. I might even be running heated grips. My NC battery is over 6 years old and has plenty of power to start the bike. But, mine is a manual, not DCT, so electrical power demand is less.

Honda designed DCT D mode to run low RPM, so you would have thought they had the bike’s charging issue covered. In any case, frequent use of an automatic charger should alleviate the concern.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

With the maximum output at 5,000 RPM (there’s no difference here with other bikes) we may suppose almost safely that we have a lower output but we ignore what are the specs of the generator. We can’t really know without some measurements.

Be more practical... Ride as you ride usually, let the battery rest for at least 4 hours, then take a measurement. Do that for a period of about 2 weeks or more. If it’s fully charged then you’re ok. If not you need a charger...

Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT

Based on my experience, no. I have a voltmeter on mine, & once the engine is started it's over 14 volts, even at idle. I do notice occasionally mine doesn't start charging for a minute or so after starting. That leads to minor running problems & higher blood pressure...