Thread: I think my chain is shot

Bike: 2014 nc700x

I think my chain is shot

Coming home from work yesterday i could hear my chain doing a little popping. got home and put some wd40 on it and went around it a few times with a toothbrush. after that i was going to adjust it and re-lube it. i have about 13700miles on it and its a 700x manual 2014 that i got new from a dealer the first of 2017. i have always rode it hard and put it up wet more than a few times, its only been down a gravel road one time and only for a few miles. i have tried to keep it lubed and on the loose end of the adjustment range. well i got it clean and got my ruler and tightened it a little then tightened my axle nut and rechecked the chain. i went to spray on the lube and as i rotated the tire it got bad tight, so tight you could only get about a half inch play in the chain. i rotated it some more and it got back to the right adjustment but half way around the back sprocket it made the popping sound. as i was rotating the tire and watching the chain going around the back side of the sprocket i could see the chain coming up out of the sprocket teeth, it looks like it rides up out of the groove about a 1/16. my sprockets look good almost new but it looks as if my chain is stretched, it still has all the o-rings and more adjustment but i'm sure the chain is toast. after pricing a new chain at the honda dealer where i bought it i went ahead an ordered a new one online from revzilla, saved $65 from what the dealer was trying to rip me for.

Super Moderator I think my chain is shot 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Yep. Time for a new chain. Sounds like you did everything right, ‘cept if it was me I’d skip the toothbrush part.

The last chain I had was gone at 17,000 miles, but it was popping and banging something awful by then.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: '14 Honda NC700XD, '71 Honda SL350
    I've heard chains in those models not lasting very long. I replaced mine at 10k miles ahead of a 6500 mile trip. Didn't want to have something else to worry with.
    Dance as if no one is watching.

Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Ditto, good job catching it now! Always do the maintenance and control the cost when you can. Otherwise on the road, who knows what'll end up happening and what that'll cost!! :{)
    Fiat Justicia et Peret Mundus = Do the Right thing, Come what May!

Senior Member I think my chain is shot
    Bike: 2013 NC700S
    When checking the slack I check it at four spots to get a good average. Helps me identify if I have a bad link. Usually rotate the tire based on the valve stem. 12 o'clock 3 , 6, 9

Senior Member I think my chain is shot davidc83's Avatar
    Bike: Suzuki C50; 2009 klx250sf; 2013 Nc700
    Yep, you got a tight link somewhere (all it takes is one to start that tightening thing you described). Time for new chain.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bike: ManyhaveIhad
    27,000 miles from last chain; hoping for 30K miles out of the VX2.