Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bike won't start - Display dead, no activity

Bike: NC700X

Bike won't start - Display dead, no activity

Yesterday I was preparing to do some routine cleaning and maintenance on my NC. As I was getting ready to move my bike out of the garage, all the usual pre-ride checks, I turned the key and hit the ignition. The bike turned over once before abruptly cutting out, and I lost all electrical activity. The display turned off, there was no clicking, no humming; nothing whatsoever. The bike seems completely dead.
    I've checked the kick-stand switch, kill switch, and several of the fuses and I can't find any problems with any of them (though I haven't done a complete teardown of the electrical system yet). I even swapped the battery out of my brother's bike to check if it was a battery problem and it didn't change a thing. Has anybody here had a similar problem? What caused it? What should I look at first and what could be a possible solution to the problem?
    I'd like to figure this out as soon as possible since my bike is my only form of transportation, but I'd like to get some advice before I go accidentally mess something up. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Super Moderator Bike won't start - Display dead, no activity 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Did you check the main fuse? I think it’s a green thirty amp fuse, and I think it’s in the starter relay assembly to the right of the batttery, if you’re facing forward.

What model year is the NC?

Bike won't start - Display dead, no activity-d786addc-b71d-45ec-8876-df1086aa2ebd-jpg
    Last edited by 670cc; 22nd July 2018 at 21:18.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

It's a 2013 model, manual transmission. The main fuse is intact, that was the first thing I checked.

The symptoms indicate a bad battery. You said you swapped the battery with another from a different bike. Consider the possibility that battery was hooked up in reverse, or there was some other mishap that caused the second battery experiment to fail. I’ve made mistakes myself and been led down the wrong path.

A bad frame ground connection from the negative battery post to the frame/engine could give you trouble and not be obvious. Another possibility is that your key switch might have failed.

If this were my problem, the first thing I’d do is get out a voltmeter and start checking the battery condition and going through the circuits. Troubleshooting without a meter is just guess work. They’re very inexpensive these days.

What is the battery voltage at rest, and with the key switch on?
    Last edited by 670cc; 23rd July 2018 at 04:32.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    The symptoms sound like the key is turned off (which it wasn't) so possibly the key switch? Try jiggling the key around, or jiggling the wires that come out of the switch. Hopefully it'll be something easy like that.

Have you recently done any work, or added any accessories? If so, see what you may have inadvertently disconnected, pinched, cut, etc..
    I don't want a pickle.....

Bike: NC700/RSVRV2/900SS/VFR750F2
    Here's a possible. I noticed that if I apply a little pressure to the kill switch in the "run" position direction, it will actually kill the motor. The engagement zone for this switch seems a bit touchy to me. Toggling it a few times might help your situation.

With the tip-over sensor, not sure what the kill switch is for any longer on a MC. I've considered wiring it through to eliminate yet another single point of failure. Don't see it as a safety feature at all....

Quote Originally Posted by Krampus View Post
    Here's a possible. I noticed that if I apply a little pressure to the kill switch in the "run" position direction, it will actually kill the motor. The engagement zone for this switch seems a bit touchy to me. Toggling it a few times might help your situation.
    The kill switch doesn’t make the display go blank.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member

I tested the battery voltage. It is sitting at 12.91V both at rest and when the key is turned to 'on'. I tried jiggling the cables around but that didn't change anything either.
    I haven't done any work on the bike recently that would have messed with the electronics, though we did get a big rainstorm here last week. The bike was covered throughout, but maybe some water found its way in?
    I'll try a few more tests this evening when I get back from work. Thanks for your help so far, guys.

Bike: NC700/RSVRV2/900SS/VFR750F2
    Quote Originally Posted by 670cc View Post
    The kill switch doesn’t make the display go blank.
    That is true; guess I was hijacking the topic; apologies.

Senior Member Bike won't start - Display dead, no activity dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    The at rest voltage of 12.91 should drop a half volt or so to 12.5 when the key is on and the engine is not running. If it doesn't drop at all with the key ON then the battery cables aren't making a good connection at the battery or to negative ground or positive to the starter solenoid. The starter is on top of the transmission directly below the bottom of the frunk.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD