Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: DCT Fault. Argh!

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    So with no symptoms..............who is going to be the first to pull the side cover to check their shift pin ????

Same guy that tore into the engine to check the cam chain tensioner ...........

Note:
    If you have not noticed this thread is getting real close to the end of its life.
    The bike is fixed........the true root cause is only speculation and risk evaluation it might happen to the next guy is even more speculation.
    Last edited by showkey; 3rd July 2018 at 06:31.

Bike: NC700X
    I'll bet Honda doesn't use the same part number schemes on the Hondajet that they do on their motorcycles.

Senior Member DCT Fault. Argh!
    Bike: 2015 NC700XD
    The parts list for the 2015 NC700XD at Partzilla.com shows only one version of the shifter pin. Someone else already mentioned the center digits denote different vendors. The last three denote version # if I remember correctly.

Conjecture: the thread locker is applied at manufacture, comes already applied on a new part. Maybe it wasn't applied as intended?

( )

Mod EDIT:
    Correction........center 3 digits are product code ( specific to the original use not its current use) .........last three digits are the version and or manufacture and or vendor coding. The last 3 can be stretched to 5 digits for finish, color etc.
    Last edited by showkey; 3rd July 2018 at 13:13.

Bike: Honda NC750D Integra
    I did not notice any shifter pin reports with 750s, only 700s. Also 2016+ models have new part number for the pin (the same part number is shared with CRF1000L Africa Twin for example). So, can we draw a conclusion from this, that newer models may be in a better position as far as possible problems with loose/broken shifter pins? Maybe Honda is doing something different now to avoid some of this issues?

Bike: NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
    So, can we draw a conclusion from this, that newer models may be in a better position as far as possible problems with loose/broken shifter pins? Maybe Honda is doing something different now to avoid some of this issues?
    Probably not. Engineering changes can be driven by any number of reasons. Most companies keep track of failures and categorize them by criticality. Failures that happen often and can result in injury get rated high and get immediate attention. Rare failures that don't cause injury are rated low (probably the category of this DTC issue) may sit on a list for years. There are many other reasons for making changes, and one of them is cost reduction. It's cheaper to use one part in multiple applications than multiple parts. From our, outside vantage point, there's no way of knowing why Honda made the change.

Bike is fixed fur sur. Iím in Ottumwa , IA 5 days and 1500 miles later. Thanks again for all the help. 😸🏍

Last update on this thread: NaNCy got me to the hospital in Penn Yan, NY to get my busted ankle splinted. I am now back in Kingman, AZ and the bike is stored in Rochester, NY. I'll fly back around the end of august to resume travel.

The tranny is working fine, have to assume all those issues are now past. My personal motion is temporarily limited. I hate crutches.