Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Diagnosing the leak

Senior Member Diagnosing the leak Nofear2trek's Avatar
    Bike: 2016 NC700XD
    Usually on my 50ft liveaboard (tiny house) yacht tied up in Oregon, but also Space-A alot to SE Asia
    Quote Originally Posted by StratTuner View Post
    OK... got my NC back from the mechanic's shop today...

They had to cut the existing bolt in two to get it out. They loosened the engine mounts to give more "wiggle" room, but that was not enough.
    The bolt they put in is long enough to securely engage the engine block threads but slightly shorter...and even then it was a tight fit.

So ... that's it. The bolt was too long.
    I will try replacing it again in when next the coolant pump fails. I actually stand a chance of doing it with the new (shorter) bolt in place.
    Has anyone else been able to remove that bolt without cutting nor removing the engine mounts? I'm wondering if this one was a fluke of the wrong length bolt that was used during engine assembly at the factory?

If there is a pattern of needing to cut and replace, I may do it before needing to do it in an uncomfortable place in the future.

Ray

Life is Wonderful, if it isn't you may be doing it Wrong!

18 centuries of the choice, 'believe this way or die', & always chosen life, is a lineage difficult to separate from. I understand. But do not fear my belief science created the universe, I'll never say "Big Bang's Will" made me do you harm. We are a genuinely free & peaceful lot.

Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT
    I just checked the service manual- Honda says a small amount of leakage from the weep hole is 'normal' and to replace when there's 'continuous leakage' while the engine's operating (kid you not). Based on that, I wouldn't replace the water pump 'in the field'. I'd ride it home (if the pump was spinning), refilling as required.
    According to an early thread that bolt has always been a problem: first complaint...unfortunately...

Bike: MC700X
    Wow Strat, read through this entire thread and it reads like a horror story. I am a diy er and I will just try to keep my mileage down so I never have to go through this. I'm only at 8500 miles so hopefully have a way to go. I did change the oil and adjust the valves at 8k and that went smoothly thank God.

Senior Member Diagnosing the leak StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    Quote Originally Posted by eastbayandy View Post
    Wow Strat, read through this entire thread and it reads like a horror story. I am a diy er and I will just try to keep my mileage down so I never have to go through this. I'm only at 8500 miles so hopefully have a way to go. I did change the oil and adjust the valves at 8k and that went smoothly thank God.
    I wouldn't keep the mileage down...I know this repair didn't go well but my goal is 200,000 miles, and after that 300,000.
    Ride until the the wheels fall off!
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

Bike: MC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by StratTuner View Post
    I wouldn't keep the mileage down...I know this repair didn't go well but my goal is 200,000 miles, and after that 300,000.
    Ride until the the wheels fall off!
    ha, I was just kidding. I ride whenever I can. thinking of taking A ROAD TRIP TO sOUTH fl, 600 miles each way, as soon as it cools a bit.

Bike: 2012 NC700X manual
    Quote Originally Posted by HarveyM View Post
    a small amount of leakage from the weep hole is 'normal' and to replace when there's 'continuous leakage'
    My urologist told me the same thing.

Senior Member Diagnosing the leak
    Bike: 2012 NC700x
    Quote Originally Posted by Nofear2trek View Post

Has anyone else been able to remove that bolt without cutting nor removing the engine mounts? I'm wondering if this one was a fluke of the wrong length bolt that was used during engine assembly at the factory?

If there is a pattern of needing to cut and replace, I may do it before needing to do it in an uncomfortable place in the future.

Ray
    Yes, mine does...