Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Battery Life (when to change)

Member Battery Life (when to change)
    Bike: NC700Xdct,CRF250L,NT700VA
    I replace all of my lead acid batteries at 5 years regardless of performance or use of a battery tender history. I buy the best replacement I can find. This is an insignificant cost when amortized over a 5 year period. Just good preventative maintenance in my opinion, just like tires and oil.

Senior Member Battery Life (when to change)
    Battery Life (when to change)
    Bike: 2016 NC700 DCT
    Quote Originally Posted by JimTid View Post
    I replace all of my lead acid batteries at 5 years regardless of performance or use of a battery tender history. I buy the best replacement I can find. This is an insignificant cost when amortized over a 5 year period. Just good preventative maintenance in my opinion, just like tires and oil.
    As sensitive as these bikes, particularly the DCT, are to the state of the battery, that seems like a good plan. I used to milk the last months and weeks and days from a battery but I don’t think I’ll be doing that with this bike, those few extra pennies aren’t worth the hassle of a no-start event.

Bike: NC700XD (2012)
    A fixed maintenance / replacement period can be misleading, wrong... Battery’s lifetime depends on many factors like environmental temperatures, riding habits, duration, etc. For example, with the temperatures of Greece, and my usage (relatively short distances in city traffic) an AGM battery can not last more than 3 years...

The right way to do it is only with measurements of (open circuit) voltage and a load test. To be on the safe side, the rule to replace a lead acid battery is when it reaches 50% of its named capacity, i.e. 12.5 V for Yuasa, Varta and other AGM batteries, or when it fails a load test.

See Yuasa’s Techical Manual for more detail.

Super Moderator Battery Life (when to change) 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    ^ Agree. It makes sense to use an assessment of the battery’s condition to determine whether it needs replacement, rather than a defined time interval. The OCV test seems to be a good indicator, as well as load testing. Since I live in a cooler area, I get 6-8 years from a battery. Someone in Arizona may get 3 years. “Your mileage may vary”.

I changed my Goldwing battery for the second time last week. The bike is now 16 years old, so each battery lasted 8 years. The NC700X battery is coming up on 6 years old and it’s still strong. OCV is 12.78v. There is no reason to change it now.
    Last edited by 670cc; 13th March 2018 at 13:22.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Also note that NC seems to have a disadvantage: the location of the battery box, right above the hottest part of the engine, is not ideal. So we can expect shorter battery lifetime than other bikes even on cool climates...

Super Moderator
    Bike: NC700x, ST1300, XR250L, CX500 Turbo, TRX350fwd, CT90, C70, TRX250, TRX 500, VFR1200x
    Agree ^^^^^^^^^

We talked about this prior........but..........”sudden death” seems more common failure with all vehicle batteries those days vs slow crank and other symptoms giving you an indication the battery is dying.

“Sudden death” being starts fine on the start of a trip ...........next start and click no start. Even witha charging system in good working order.

Bike: Currently NC700X, Previously VLX600
    Hello,

I have been reading about the battery everywhere, and I think mine is coming up with needing replacement pretty soon... I still need to do a load test, it will be done later this week, still here are some of my detailed information, hoping it helps others here, or just for mere entertainment.

Details:
    Bike: 2012
    Tender: Most of the time (90%)
    Currently I have been charging it, and it has made it to 14.1 and after 8 hrs. of sitting inside the house in basement (65 degrees) it has gone down to 12.7, in another occasion I charged and it only made it to 13.1 and after 7 hrs. it went down to 12.6 I do not know if this is helpful at all, but observations I have made is that if I charge it to the highest, (inside the house) to like 13.5 (in one of the occasions) then placed it (about 38 degrees) in the bike, and after 3 days, when I went to start the bike, it would not start, it was missing the extra push to start, I took the battery out again took it inside and it was reading 12.4 (inside, after it warmed up) to 65 degrees, I think I will be buying the motocross version from amazon, at the end of the week, after load test, I think the lower temperatures are affecting it.

thanks for reading if you made it this far...

Super Moderator Battery Life (when to change) 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Quote Originally Posted by TonySilver View Post
    Hello,

I have been reading about the battery everywhere, and I think mine is coming up with needing replacement pretty soon... I still need to do a load test, it will be done later this week, still here are some of my detailed information, hoping it helps others here, or just for mere entertainment.

Details:
    Bike: 2012
    Tender: Most of the time (90%)
    Currently I have been charging it, and it has made it to 14.1 and after 8 hrs. of sitting inside the house in basement (65 degrees) it has gone down to 12.7, in another occasion I charged and it only made it to 13.1 and after 7 hrs. it went down to 12.6 I do not know if this is helpful at all, but observations I have made is that if I charge it to the highest, (inside the house) to like 13.5 (in one of the occasions) then placed it (about 38 degrees) in the bike, and after 3 days, when I went to start the bike, it would not start, it was missing the extra push to start, I took the battery out again took it inside and it was reading 12.4 (inside, after it warmed up) to 65 degrees, I think I will be buying the motocross version from amazon, at the end of the week, after load test, I think the lower temperatures are affecting it.

thanks for reading if you made it this far...
    Is the reason it's not stored installed in the bike that there is no power nearby for a charger?
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "230,000 Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Bike: Currently NC700X, Previously VLX600

It is due to discharge..

Hi,

Thanks for asking.

It is actually due to discharge, at the end of last season (December), and in the beginning of this season (March) the tender has not been able to find the battery outside in the cold, however after I bring battery inside, and allow it to warm up, then the tender is able to find it and then charge it. Unfortunately my garage is not heated.

I am pretty sure I need to replace it, still forking out $100 bucks its quite difficult, tragic... but eventually will have to be done, especially as the days continue to get better, with today as the exception..

Thank you,

Cold is slowing down the electrochemical reactions so the battery can not perform. It can’t give us enough (cold cranking) amps.

Heat is speeding up it up...

With the first sign of weakness you’ve to replace it.

A charger / maintainer can’t do anything about it. It may prolong its lifetime but nothing more...