Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Chain life

Senior Member Chain life ld_rider's Avatar
    Bike: 2014 Black ABS/DCT
    This summer I rode a little over 12,000 miles and never adjusted the chain. Or had to get on the ground to clean or lube it.

Pro-oiler with GPS interface keeps it clean and adjusted.

I have a pair of new sprockets and chain waiting, but I don't think I will need them for another 30 thousand miles or so....
    Rob in New England
    IBA# 540

Bike: Honda NC750D Integra
    I don't have any auto-lubing device, I spray my chain every 500-1000 km and after 12000 km (8000 mi) I see the same results as you do. But let's not keep our hopes up too high, chains can die very quickly in their last miles and sprockets usually go with them as the chain starts to stretch more and unevenly.

Bike: Drz 400; nc700x dct
    Maybe he had a socket wrench trapped in there. That would be noisy.
    https://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/nc700x_dct_abs/2015/oklahomahank/621000]

Bike: NC700XD for the Missus; FJR1300 for me. Plus a Ninja 650 to share.
    Not our NC chain, we just got the bike, but I've never had an O-ring chain go less than 45,000 miles (72,000km) and the one currently on my ZX1100E (with twice the power of an NC) has over 53,000 (85K).
    Cleaning? Sounds scary!
    PJ-1 Blue Label every other tankful or everytime it gets wet is the key to my chains lasting almost forever.
    And the ZX is still on its original sprockets, 101,000 miles (162Kkm). Not much hooking at all.
    Lube!

Bike: X-Adventure, Suzuki VStrom 1000ABS, 1989 Honda Dominator, CRF250L
    I just want to add another tip for chain lube. I have been a fan of the Tutoro oiler especially on any of my bikes that didn't have a centrestand. Either way I have always been a prolific oiler of chains with reasonably good results on chain life. Recently however one of the long time members over on the Strom forum waxed enthusiastic about the properties of Wurth HHS2000. It had been recommended to him by a Tech. He claimed that use of this every other fill, actually increased the mileage of his chain by at least a third. He is someone that I would definitely listen to on that forum.

I am aware that the riding habits of everyone are different. Some folks can achieve mileage from chains that I can only dream of. However I am willing to give any new idea a try. I got myself some Wurth and in the couple of months that I have been using it I am seeing a difference. A quieter chain is telling a story of lube that is staying in place for longer. I was about to replace the chain on my X-Adv at 25,000kms but now it is definitely running smoother over the partly worn front sprocket and the little bit of stretch that was evident has also more or less stopped for the moment.

This is a link to a Youtube clip of the product. I spray it on the inside of the lower run of the chain and it is possible to direct it to the edge of the rollers. It doesn't spread out like some products and quickly sets as I continue to spin the wheel. I for one am converted.

YouTube
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Senior Member Chain life
    Chain life

Bike: 2016 NC700X DCT ABS
    So one of the benefits, I think, of putting on a chain that is massively oversized for your bike is that it won't stretch as much.

In the 10,000 miles I've had the chain pictured earlier (the 1000 HP rated ThreeD chain) in the thread, it hasn't moved.

I had to adjust it once and that was because of a tire change, but every time I take the ruler to it to measure slack it's 35mm, exactly where I set it -- always.

I'm thinking I'll need new sprockets before I need a new chain.

Bike: '12 NC700XC
    I normally replace chains on the NCX because of seized links. Only that garbage JT chain stretched enough to matter (it stretched so much it wouldn’t stay on). I’m surprised at those who wear chains out in any other way on these bikes. Apparently climate matters, too.

Senior Member Chain life StratTuner's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X model C
    Quote Originally Posted by Joecamel View Post
    just ordered a new chain , have 12,500 miles in so california

chain and sprockets @ $250 installed
    Concur. DiD VX2 chain and JT sprockets buy me about 12,000 miles each time. I do the work myself, and I'm NO mechanic.
    - StratTuner
    NC700XFJR1300

"If you don't understand him, and he don't die young,
    he'll probly just ride away."
    - Willie Nelson

Bike: 2013 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by StratTuner View Post
    Concur. DiD VX2 chain and JT sprockets buy me about 12,000 miles each time. I do the work myself, and I'm NO mechanic.
    What are you guys noticing to where you say "welp, that's the end of this chain's life..." are they breaking? Loose links? I've had several different chain driven bikes and never replaced a chain. I trade around a lot, but some have been used with no telling how many miles already on the chain and then I put another 10-15k miles on it before selling. Few different trail bikes, 1 mx bike, 4 sportbikes, and now my current NC, never replaced a chain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaJD View Post
    What are you guys noticing to where you say "welp, that's the end of this chain's life..." are they breaking? Loose links? I've had several different chain driven bikes and never replaced a chain. I trade around a lot, but some have been used with no telling how many miles already on the chain and then I put another 10-15k miles on it before selling. Few different trail bikes, 1 mx bike, 4 sportbikes, and now my current NC, never replaced a chain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    I've had both happen on my NC, the links would get stuff spots (multiple places and stiff enough that you could hear and kind of feel it when riding) the other is when it stretches beyond what you can adjust on the swing arm, it got so lose that it actually fell off (my commute to work is 60 miles, 58 of that being freeway and it fell off on a two lane road a block from my place of work) luckily if it's lose enough to come off it'll go back on Chain life

I rode home driving like grandpa and parked it until I replaced the chain

This is the first motorcycle I've owned and the first I've worked on, so I've made some rookie mistakes, live and learn
    Last edited by rippin209; 12th June 2019 at 17:50.