Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTB tool kit, now

Senior Member WTB tool kit, now
    Bike: SV,WR,YZ,NC

WTB tool kit, now

I realized I don't have an OEM tool kit for my NC. I'd like to pick one up ASAP so I have tools for adjusting the chain etc on the road.

I leave in a week.

Anyone have one they'd sell me? Needs to be here (CA) by a week from today... Priority Mail should do that no problem.

Or I'm open to aftermarket options, but having all the sizes the NC has while being fairly small and light would be convenient.
    12 NC700X
    14 WR450F SM
    15 450/520XCF SM

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    I don't know of an OEM tool kit with anything to help with a chain adjustment.
    My Honda tool kit was a Philips screw driver and a cable with two loops to secure your helmet to your NC (I actually use that when riding out of town with my wife)

I would recommend building your own kit, especially if your in a time crunch.

There are some slick portable tools but most are expensive and only ok, especially if they're used as a primary to for removing or adjusting the rear tire as an example.
    Road side tools are designed for being light and compact, not for being the best or a long lasting tool.
    That said you'd need to carry two large wrenches and two normal sized wrenches just to adjust your chain, so if space is at a premium or if your worried about weight (an unlikely problem) then you should get road side tools designed for the job

Bike: 2016 NC750X DCT
    The European toolkit is slightly better-
    Wrenches: 8mm, 10mm, two 12mm, two 14mm, 22mm, 27mm. One hex 17mm (VW oil drain plug size), one L allen key.
    From Tool bag?

Super Moderator WTB tool kit, now 670cc's Avatar
    Bike: NC700X, GL1800, KLX140G, CRF250L Rally, Ruckus 50
    Ditto what was already said. The US model NCs, for all practical purposes, do not come with a tool kit. At most it was a screwdriver, helmet holder cable, and possibly a fuse puller.

There are roll-up metric motorcycle tools kits you could purchase, than add to or modify for your needs. Do an internet search for “metric motorcycle too kit”. Amazon, eBay, and the likes should be able to supply you before your trip.
    Greg
    GWRRA Member
    AMA Life Member
    "Quarter Million Mile Club"

NanCyX . . . . . . . . . . The 250

Senior Member WTB tool kit, now dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    I done a fair amount of long distance touring and I don’t see the need for adjusting the chain between tire changes or carrying an extensive set of service tools. That’s why I ride Hondas. In my experience there is no need to adjust my NC’s chain on the road or do any other common service. I carry a tire plugging kit and air compressor. I have repaired a tire occasionally to get somewhere.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

8k without adjusting a chain is quite a ways.
    12 NC700X
    14 WR450F SM
    15 450/520XCF SM

Senior Member WTB tool kit, now dduelin's Avatar
    Bike: NC700XD, ST1300, Elite 80
    Quote Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
    8k without adjusting a chain is quite a ways.
    Yes it is.
    Dave

GL1800
    NC700XD

Bike: 750 XD, FLHTC, Can Am RT
    I'm with Dave on this. I have over 5,000 on a new bike without an adjustment needed. I'll do that when I replace the rear tire.

If you lube as needed and don't yank wheelies or other stupid shit you should be good.

It's funny, the guys that complain about cheap chains, sprockets and steering head bearings all seem to pull that front tire up in the air. Coincidence?

It just so happens that my KTM came with a tool that'll do the rear axle on the NC. it's 12pt so not ideal, and fairly short, but adequate for this.

Other than that I'm cobbling together tools from other bike kits that I have, and some typical tools, so I think I'll be ok.

It's too bad there's no factory tool kit.
    12 NC700X
    14 WR450F SM
    15 450/520XCF SM

Bike: 2012 NC700X
    It's not going to help you on this trip but my recommendation is get a automatic chain oiler.

After installing a brand new D.I.D. VX2 chain I'll ride 2,000 to 4,000 miles then adjust it and I've had it not change in length for another 14,000-16,000 miles after that, adjust again if necessary.

My least chain lasted me over 28,000 miles and my current chain is over 26,000 in the middle of the wear bars and not a speck of dust or a single tight link.

My NC is the first motorcycle I've owned so I made some learning mistakes early on, I ruined a couple chains from not aligning the rear tire properly (chains were toast after 4,000-6,000 miles) I've also played with sprocket sizes so that affected chain length, cutting out 2 links on one chain after it already had plenty of miles on it and adding a second master link on another, both chains were replaced not long (relatively) after that.

I've left the 17 tooth front sprocket and the stock rear (best combo in my opinion) and my chain oiler has worked out great, highly recommend doing both